• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rsxonly

rsxonly

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:58 AM

Alrite guys i have been reading up alot lately on flashing my hitachi the new newest firmware as i had someone else install the older one. So i had a couple questions

1. when i restore does it change the drive back to the original firmware? so if i stop the procedure at that step, would i only beable to read legit copies and not back up?

2.How would i go about upgrading a sammy drive? do i have to do a restore of some sort like the hitach or do i just flash it like the rest?

3. ive read alot about sammys and how you need to retain a copy of the original drive key, do i need to worry about that when im flashing a hitachi?

thanks in advance
Tony

#2 Lush

Lush

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 04:34 AM

QUOTE(rsxonly @ May 13 2007, 04:34 AM) View Post

Alrite guys i have been reading up alot lately on flashing my hitachi the new newest firmware as i had someone else install the older one. So i had a couple questions

1. when i restore does it change the drive back to the original firmware? so if i stop the procedure at that step, would i only beable to read legit copies and not back up?

2.How would i go about upgrading a sammy drive? do i have to do a restore of some sort like the hitach or do i just flash it like the rest?

3. ive read alot about sammys and how you need to retain a copy of the original drive key, do i need to worry about that when im flashing a hitachi?

thanks in advance
Tony

1. original firmare will only boot legit disks...

2. it is always best to revert back to original firmware before updating...

3. you should also keep a copy of your drive key for all drives in a safe place...

#3 rsxonly

rsxonly

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:32 AM

QUOTE(Lush @ May 13 2007, 12:10 AM) View Post

1. original firmare will only boot legit disks...

2. it is always best to revert back to original firmware before updating...

3. you should also keep a copy of your drive key for all drives in a safe place...

thanks for the claification lush, but i got a few more questions to ask before i get started on the flash since the unlock kit hasnt come in yet and i cant get the back of the 360 open.

2. im following txtbooks tutorial and i havent found instructions to reflash to the original firmware for sammys, how would i go about that?

is the original firmware another word for "drive key"???

3. how do i get the drivekey from a hitachi following textbooks guide?

4. will the slax cd always work on all hitachi's or do i need to order the connectivity kit?

sorry for the newb questions but i want to get this clarrified before i start flashing

Thanks
Tony

Edited by rsxonly, 13 May 2007 - 05:33 AM.

#4 esemce

esemce

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:37 AM

When you first flash your drive a backup of the original firmware is created for Hitachi i first used the garyopa version and within the folder another folder with a four digit like x13-1522 etc will contain your original fw, for the samsungs you have enter the command in mtkflash to first backup your retail fw.

If slax cd dont work then use the connectivity kit (for hitachi) its cheap and very useful.
You can get the drive key from the original backed up fw or from the hacked drive using Maximus Firmware Toolbox. The firmware is the software that makes the drive comunicate etc and the key is a specific string of numbers and letters (code) that has to match the 360 mboard from which it originated.

Just read the previous posts as your questions have all been answered by other people in the past.

#5 STICKY_BUD

STICKY_BUD

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:42 AM

imho, it is not necessary to restore a samsung to original - especially if you are just going to flash a different version fw with a new key and drive spec tag immediately afterwards

that is just a waste of time since the original fw is the same code without the mod

also, according to the numerous results you will find if you search hitachi & restore, hitachi drives are just as likely to get bricked due to restore method as they are to actually restore

#6 rsxonly

rsxonly

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:48 AM

QUOTE(STICKY_BUD @ May 13 2007, 02:18 AM) View Post

imho, it is not necessary to restore a samsung to original - especially if you are just going to flash a different version fw with a new key and drive spec tag immediately afterwards

that is just a waste of time since the original fw is the same code without the mod
also, according to the numerous results you will find if you search hitachi & restore, hitachi drives are just as likely to get bricked due to restore method as they are to actually restore

so is the consensus now not to restore?

thanks for the replies guys... feel a bit mroe confident in flashing

#7 STICKY_BUD

STICKY_BUD

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:56 AM

QUOTE(rsxonly @ May 12 2007, 11:24 PM) View Post

so is the consensus now not to restore?

thanks for the replies guys... feel a bit mroe confident in flashing

i am not saying there is consensus or anything, just that restoring a sammy is pointless since you are overwriting the flashrom in that case

in the case of a hitachi drive(fw patch), a restore patch to the firmware is just as dangerous as patch modding the firmware and i do my best to stay away from both situations

i have flashed hitachi drives for customers and sold consoles with flashed hitachi drives too, but i do not upgrade them and my own hitachi drive from my first console still has the unmodded firmware and is stored in a box in my closet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users