• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 morest

morest

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:01 AM

I have a hitachi drive(GDR-3120L,0047DJ) that recently stopped working and i have every reason to believe it is dead mad.gif i have decided to buy a replacement drive so i can continue playing my games ASAP, but i read somewhere recently that one can't just go out and buy any drive as it has something to do with the firmware key uhh.gif , so please if anybody has any genuine advice it would be appreciated as i do not have the luxury of asking for a replacement if the one i buy doesnt work, i live in a country where there is very little x360 support so i am having it bought overseas and brought down for me.

#2 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:25 PM

What is wrong with your Hitachi right now? It could be just the motor issue or the laser needs adjusting or replaced.

The DVD drives are not plug and play, you have to have the "key" extracted from your old drive and injected into the new one. If that is not done the new drive will only be able to play CDs and DVD movies, no XBOX or 360 games will play in it. The DVD drive and Motherboard are "keyed" together when they're made, so only that drive will work in that 360. There is also no way, at the moment, to get the key from the motherboard, so if your drive turns out to be bad and the key can not be extracted you're in for some more work or even the possibility of it being unfixable.

Take the lid off your drive and see if the spindle motor (where the disc sits) spins freely, that thing has a nasty reputation in Hitachi drives to get full of crud and it doesn't spin free enough for the motor to turn it, thus making the drive seem bad. Same thing with the laser, a weak or bad one will cause the drive to not function correctly either.

#3 morest

morest

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:05 PM

i have done all that before as i got advice on another forum and followed it to the letter, basically i have taken apart the 360 and checked to see if the spindle was stiff,by then the lens was still working but in about 1 out of 8 trials,when a 360 cd is inserted it said please insert 360 cd in a x360 console but my normal xbox cd's played fine.
i then proceeded to oil the spindle (based on the advice that i got). to cut a long story short, i think i must have done somethin wrong because after i inserted a cd it didn't read it at all, i tried this with all sort of media but the same thing. the laser light doesn't even come on anymore, that is why i said i have every reason to believe that the drive is dead.Even if i hadn't tinkled with it i guess it was something that would have happened sooner or later.Is there any other thing i can try? or should i buy another laser and see if it works? cause i have the gut feeling the spindle and laser are done for. Thanks in advance

#4 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:34 PM

If the laser isn't lighting up at all it could be bad, it could be the drive's logic board, or maybe it's just not plugged up or the flex cable is broken. If ya can get ahold of a friends drive that is kool with ya swapping out parts, the Hitachi and Samsung use the same lasers, so you could swap them for a test before getting one.

Edited by RDC, 14 May 2007 - 10:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users