Photo

Will Be Buying 2nd Xbox360 For Linux (usa)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 halo3guy

halo3guy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:51 PM

Hi folks,

I think I'm going to buy another xbox 360, to run Linux on it. I have no real use for Linux apart from running a full blown media center on top of it (i.e. similar to XBMC, mythTV etc). Ideally I'd love homebrew (like XBMC) but I don't know if the scene is going anywhere in that direction anytime soon.

I've hacked the DVD-ROM firmware on one to run backups, and as such I'm up to speed with the scene. I'm new to the linux-on-360 scene though.

So the question, as the title suggests, how can I ensure, by looking at the packaging box/labels outside to find out if the kernel on the machine inside the box is a vulnerable one or a patched one? I'm assuming that there is still some inventory out there based off the old kernel.

Thanks !

Edited by halo3guy, 14 May 2007 - 06:52 PM.

#2 ydgmms

ydgmms

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE(halo3guy @ May 14 2007, 01:27 PM) View Post

Hi folks,

I think I'm going to buy another xbox 360, to run Linux on it. I have no real use for Linux apart from running a full blown media center on top of it (i.e. similar to XBMC, mythTV etc). Ideally I'd love homebrew (like XBMC) but I don't know if the scene is going anywhere in that direction anytime soon.

I've hacked the DVD-ROM firmware on one to run backups, and as such I'm up to speed with the scene. I'm new to the linux-on-360 scene though.

So the question, as the title suggests, how can I ensure, by looking at the packaging box/labels outside to find out if the kernel on the machine inside the box is a vulnerable one or a patched one? I'm assuming that there is still some inventory out there based off the old kernel.

Thanks !

The update came out in late early January?

So if youre buying a new xbox. Make sure the manufacture date is Pre-December 06. That should ensure you get a hackable drive + old enough kernel. Just make sure you don't update it.

If you're buying a used xbox ... good luck.

#3 halo3guy

halo3guy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:25 PM

The update came out in late early January?

So if youre buying a new xbox. Make sure the manufacture date is Pre-December 06. That should ensure you get a hackable drive + old enough kernel. Just make sure you don\'t update it.

If you\'re buying a used xbox ... good luck.

Yeah, that\'s one way. I\'m at work, so can\'t see my current cardboard box, but is the manufacture date printed on the box ??? I\'m not sure.

Apart from that, there isin\'t any other way I presume? Like serials from ABC-xxxx or something?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users