• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bubbaal55

Bubbaal55

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 04:29 AM

I have recently been asked quite a few times how I got my hard drive swtich to work without having the choppy animation screen and lockups and dirty disk errors, so i decided to do a post about it.

when i first did this mod I had all of these problems no matter how short the IDE cable was, and determined that even though only one hard drive has power at a time, the dormant drives are causing confusion on the IDE bus. therefore i had to come up with a method of completely swtiching the power and IDE cables to all hard drives. I didnt want to use a Trios Drive Selector because of the long bootup times. So i did some searching and came up with the perfect solution, however a bit expensive but in my opinion worth every penny.

IDE BUS SWTICH

These are IDE bus switches which run off of 5 volts. When voltage is applied the bus is on and when voltage is turned off the IDE bus is disconnected to all 40 pins. These are expansion packs of The IDEX 350 and cost around 31$ a peice. You do not need the whole the acutal selector box that they sell unless you are having trouble finding a switch or are simply no good at soldering.

Now simply wire these switches with the supplied cable into your hard drive switch so that when you select a hard drive it activates power to that drive and the bus switch attached to it. biggrin.gif

#2 oRIDDLERo

oRIDDLERo

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 06:55 AM

Very nice post, im sure it will help some people smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users