FrostyTheSnowman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:27 PM

Okay, I need everyone's opinion on whether or not I should release a new tool I have created...

This 'tool' is actually a rather complex 'Rescue Disc' for both Softmods and Modchips/TSOPs and is compatible with ALL XBOX versions (v1.0-v1.6b), and is 100% DVD based! (this means that your hard drive can be totally wiped and the Rescue Disc will still be able to function)

This is what it does:

1. XBOX boots up, insert my Rescue Disc

2. BIOS boots 'default.xbe' from the Rescue Disc (all modchips and softmods can do this)

3. 'default.xbe' is actually a modified PBL Metoo Loader that loads up a custom-made Evox M8+ BIOS, made by me to run 100% from the DVD-ROM

4. This Evox M8+ BIOS overrides the current BIOS (as PBL normally does) except instead of loading a dashboard off the hard drive, it loads the dashboard off the DVD-ROM instead. (This Evox M8+ has been customized by me to run COMPLETELY from the DVD-ROM drive, it DOES NOT rely on the hard drive to function.)

5. The dashboard it loads from the DVD-ROM is a customized version of the EvolutionX +3935 dashboard, and upon loading you will be greeted by a menu containing the following applications and features:

- DVD2XBOX File Manager (runs completely from the DVD-ROM)
- XBpartitioner (runs completely from the DVD-ROM)
- Hard Drive LOCK & UNLOCK options (standard EvolutionX lock & unlock commands)
- Built-in FTP Server (standard EvolutionX FTP server)

6. You can now choose any of those options to perform any necessary maintenance on your XBOX.

Features of my custom PBL Evox M8+ BIOS:

- Works on all XBOX versions, including v1.6!
- IGR is supported, and always returns to the EvolutionX dashboard on the Rescue Disc when used
- Allows FULL access to the C, E, F, G, X, Y, and Z drives! (it even overrides ShadowC drives used in softmods so that you can modify the contents of the REAL C drive!)
- Fully supports F & G drives
- Fully supports ALL hard drive partitioning setups, including custom partitions.
- Changes the XBOX front lights to RED to indicate that the Rescue Disc is running

Not to mention, that the ENTIRE size of the download for this disc is only a 5MB download! Yes, that's right, only 5MB in size!!! (Compressed RAR, when uncompressed you get a 1,062MB DVD image file.) biggrin.gif

So, what do you guys think? Would anyone find my disc useful?

If you guys decide you would like me to release it, I can easily release it for download at the 'usual places'. happy.gif

Edited by FrostyTheSnowman, 16 May 2007 - 06:39 PM.

#2 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Interests:PC Gamer, Console Collector, Raging Movie & Cartoon Addict, full time nerd.
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:38 PM

< Interested +1

This tool sounds like something I wouldn't mind having! I'd really have to play with it but you'd have to release it first! On a side note, I think it would be wonderful to have built in F&G and custom partition support... Must... have it...

#3 FrostyTheSnowman

FrostyTheSnowman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:50 PM

If you would like to try it out before I officially release it, let me know. happy.gif

Edited by FrostyTheSnowman, 16 May 2007 - 07:06 PM.

#4 MysticalMagnet

MysticalMagnet

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Interests:Finished Games:<br />Madden 06<br />Pocket Bike Racer

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:27 PM

Sounds like it would work great on an new xbox im working on right now where the hard drive is gone and need to partition a new one.
Makes the world so much easier.
Would love to test!

#5 deadparrot

deadparrot

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:29 PM

I don't see what's so special about booting a dash from a disc through PBL... I've done it in the past.

However, I do believe a disc like this would be a useful tool for those who are not able to put something like this together themselves.

Only thing you need to make clear is that it WILL NOT RUN on an Xbox with a blank HDD that is not hardmodded. This does not take away the need for an existing method of launching unsigned code, as many newbies may be inclined to believe.

#6 cerealkillajme

cerealkillajme

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:38 PM

I think it's a great idea, but you should put them into 2 disc. One for softmods and one for hardmods that way the n00bs don't use options they aren't supposed to (like unlock their HDD thinking it unlocks some magic power, lol).

I like the idea it can override even Shadow C softmods.

Sounds good, I'd like to see it released.

And congrats on another great addition to the scene Frosty. pop.gif

#7 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:03 PM

I agree, get it out and let's get some testing done with it. You will have to post the name here though.

CASH is already taken biggrin.gif Great job (again) Cerealkilla

#8 FrostyTheSnowman

FrostyTheSnowman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE(cerealkillajme @ May 16 2007, 02:14 PM) View Post
I think it's a great idea, but you should put them into 2 disc. One for softmods and one for hardmods that way the n00bs don't use options they aren't supposed to (like unlock their HDD thinking it unlocks some magic power, lol).

Well, this disc is really aimed at those of us that really know (or have an idea) of what we are doing. Ideally, I would prefer that noobs didn't even use the disc, due to what *could* potentially happen.

QUOTE(deadparrot @ May 16 2007, 02:05 PM) View Post
I don't see what's so special about booting a dash from a disc through PBL... I've done it in the past.

The difference is that the PBL Evox M8+ BIOS has been hexeditted to basically ignore the HDD entirely as far as the dashboard goes, so no matter what is executed, exitted, IGR'd, etc, it will always return to the custom EvolutionX dashboard on the disc.

This allows the entire system to function from within the DVD, regardless of the condition of the hard drive's file system.

QUOTE(1hotjob @ May 16 2007, 02:39 PM) View Post
I agree, get it out and let's get some testing done with it. You will have to post the name here though.

The name will be 'Frosty's XBOX Rescue Disc v1.0'. happy.gif

Edited by FrostyTheSnowman, 16 May 2007 - 09:24 PM.

#9 deadparrot

deadparrot

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE(FrostyTheSnowman @ May 16 2007, 09:58 PM) View Post
The difference is that the PBL Evox M8+ BIOS has been hexeditted to basically ignore the HDD entirely as far as the dashboard goes, so no matter what is executed, exitted, IGR'd, etc, it will always return to the custom EvolutionX dashboard on the disc.

Makes more sense now. I certainly like the idea of an Xbox "Live" CD.

I use Knoppix Live DVD's whenever something goes wrong with my PC (I once ran from it for a month because it for some reason didn't play hell with my GFX card where Windows was completely unusable!)

#10 FrostyTheSnowman

FrostyTheSnowman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE(deadparrot @ May 16 2007, 03:08 PM) View Post

Makes more sense now. I certainly like the idea of an Xbox "Live" CD.

I use Knoppix Live DVD's whenever something goes wrong with my PC (I once ran from it for a month because it for some reason didn't play hell with my GFX card where Windows was completely unusable!)

Yep, that's the basic idea behind my disc. It's a 'Live' CD usable for repairing and recovering hard drive and file system problems. happy.gif

On another note, I have a few people 'beta testing' my disc, but if anyone else is willing to test for me too, it would be much appreciated.

Edited by FrostyTheSnowman, 16 May 2007 - 09:35 PM.

#11 Jonlee

Jonlee

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:02 PM

This might be really useful. I have a hard drive right now that is totally screwed up and this sounds like a perfect tool for fixing it!

How can we get a hold of the beta? smile.gif

#12 FrostyTheSnowman

FrostyTheSnowman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 04:01 AM

Update!

Okay, so I have the beta out to a few people, and after I receive their testing results (assuming they are positive smile.gif) then I will release this Rescue Disc at the 'usual places'.

I'll keep you all posted. happy.gif

#13 FrostyTheSnowman

FrostyTheSnowman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:41 AM

Frosty's XBOX Rescue Disc v1.0 has been released to the public, and you can find it in the 'usual places'. biggrin.gif

#14 karak

karak

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:09 AM

I have a harddrive that I locked wrong. Now it won't unlock. Will this fix something like that?

#15 CaNsA

CaNsA

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 19 May 2007 - 03:36 AM

QUOTE(FrostyTheSnowman @ May 16 2007, 07:26 PM) View Post

If you would like to try it out before I officially release it, let me know. happy.gif

Yes please matey, defo want to have a looksee at this.

with a dash update for unleash, and now this. could the orig xbox scene be returning?
i hope so. tongue.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users