DrPepperFan15

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:50 AM

I have some 16gauge speaker wire and i'm tying to cut it and expose the wires to put into my speakers now and I was wondering if it mattered whether some of the little wires also get cut out of the 20 or so that are in there if it would reduce the quality?

I put the speaker wire in the wire stripper in the 16gauge section and i cut the wire to expose the insides but at the same time thers like 5 little wires that get cut as well... does this matter(this is basically saying the same as above)

Also just wondering that since I'm using the wires for home audio but i bought car audio wires but obviously they are the same but cheaper price is there any difference between car and home speaker wires?

Thanks. This is my first time messing around with wires like this so I would just like an answer before I short out my speakers or something like that from cutting this with a few tiny wires missing

#2 CJLee89

CJLee89

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:54 PM

OMGosh i found a fast reply...haha.

anyway, try to keep as many wires intact as possible. if you strip the wire correctly, you should be able to keep all of the wires.

Edited by CJLee89, 21 May 2007 - 08:58 PM.

#3 bvic01

bvic01

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE(DrPepperFan15 @ May 20 2007, 01:26 AM) View Post

I have some 16gauge speaker wire and i'm tying to cut it and expose the wires to put into my speakers now and I was wondering if it mattered whether some of the little wires also get cut out of the 20 or so that are in there if it would reduce the quality?

I put the speaker wire in the wire stripper in the 16gauge section and i cut the wire to expose the insides but at the same time thers like 5 little wires that get cut as well... does this matter(this is basically saying the same as above)

Also just wondering that since I'm using the wires for home audio but i bought car audio wires but obviously they are the same but cheaper price is there any difference between car and home speaker wires?

Thanks. This is my first time messing around with wires like this so I would just like an answer before I short out my speakers or something like that from cutting this with a few tiny wires missing

Honstly, no, it doesn't matter as long as the majority of the wires are still there. I promise you won't short out your speakers and even if you do strip your wire correctly, you may still lose a few strands it's just not possible to be perfect everytime. An no, car audio speaker wire and home speaker wire are the same so don't worry about that.

#4 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:27 PM

if you're really pro you'll use banana plugs, cut all wires to all speakers the same length and double check that they all carry equal impedance tongue.gif

^at very least those things would have more of an effect than losing a few strands.

on a whole bvic01 is right you'll almost always lose a few little strands, it's nothing to worry about.

Edited by twistedsymphony, 22 June 2007 - 03:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users