jackster

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:23 PM

Hi Guys,

Ive searched the FAQ's and just want a little additonal advice.

I went out and brought a HD-DVD drive for the 360. biggrin.gif

I wanted it mainly because I was going to buy a normal DVD player that upscales DVD's to 'near' HD, but opted to pay the third pound more for the 360 HD-DVD drive.

So I was happy with my HD-DVD drive, all seemed good. I tested it on my samsung 26inch HD against my previous DVD player and the difference was odvious.

What has suddenly bothered me (and bear in mind I got the HD-DVD drive mostly to upscale DVD's) was when I played a DVD in the X360's standard drive there appeared to be know difference from playing the the same DVD in the HD-DVD drive. (i was testing with LOTR : return of the king).

Does the X360 DVD drive upscale DVD's already? And so the only will benefit of a HD-DVD drive is for playing HD DVD's?

I am using a HD VGA cable and have my xbox set to the best resolution. Any advice would be massively appreciated!!!

Thanks!

#2 XPxAxBxLxOX

XPxAxBxLxOX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:16 AM

I noticed that too. But when I bought the Elite, there was a big difference. The elite upscales to the max resolution(Meaning HDMI), but the premium plays in 480 p/i (I forget which one).

I hope someone can correct me if im wrong, but this is just what I noticed when I bought the Elite.

#3 jackster

jackster

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:59 AM

So the premium only upscales to 480i, and not to 720p or 1080i?

But the HD-DVD does upscale to 720p or 1080i.....?

#4 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:27 AM

I believe the scaler is in the Xbox360 not the external drive. So any video from any point is upscaled via the Xbox360 scaler.

The HD-DVD drive is not needed in your case.

Standard DVDs are 480i. Xbox360 can upscale them to any output you need, from either drive.

HDMI does the same resolutions as VGA as long as your TV accepts it. Some people report HDMI looks better while other people report VGA looks better. You would need to test on your TV and decide for yourself.

Besides, my thinking is this. If you have already tested in both drives, and stated they look the same. Then return the external regardless of resolution. Looks are looks. Resolution is hype. I prefer 720p to 1080i. But, M$ and Sony will tell you we have 1080i/p output!!! Bottom line, do what looks good to you.

#5 jackster

jackster

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:48 PM

Yeah, your right! If the picture looks the same then theres no point in trying to work out why its doing that! Cheers for your help guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users