andrewmc

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:57 PM

I've had this 360 since christmas 06. Every once in a while it will freeze... up to once a day. Thats all the trouble I've got from it though after having it for months (except one dirty disk error on a brand new disk). I really want to mod the thing but I'm afraid that I'll eventually get the 3 red lights, and I don't have the money to buy a new one. I soldered a mod chip into my xbox 1 so I'm by no means new to modding... should I go for it?

Edit: just to clear this up, it doesn't freeze every single day. and when it freezes sometimes it's not even warm, making me thing it could be an error with the game's code/whatever.

Edited by andrewmc, 21 May 2007 - 09:59 PM.

#2 wellmodded

wellmodded

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:01 PM

yes modding it won't be a bad idea its problem freezing becasue of heat you could try simple mods like adding fans or makeing th origal fans 12v search around on the forum for modding o 12v fan
i could do the xclamp replecment casue your BOX will get the 3redlighs fo death sooner or later and i think if u do the xclamps replacement before you get it that wil be better becasue it will stop the board from flexing before it even does flex which mean the bga under the chip woudl have never broken

#3 Boddah

Boddah

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:14 PM

If it's only once in a while I wouldn't worry about it. If it happens more frequently, though, it'll probably give you a lovely error within a few days/weeks. Mine started freezing a lot while playing Test Drive Unlimited (I figured it was just the game), until it finally crapped out a week or two later.

#4 Tortuga2112

Tortuga2112

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Interests:refs: <br />toraxe<br /><br /><br />scammers:<br />none
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:19 PM

if it starts freezing , its an early sign of things to come. its only going to get worse and worse til it spits out the 3RLOD on you.

best thing for you to do now is switch the stock fans to 12v , or add another fan in front of the cpu.
also put some tape or cardboard on the GPU/CPU heatsinks to force the airflow through the channels on the heatsink.

you should also replace the x clamps under the mobo, but I usually don't do that unless it starts to pixelate or lockup consistently.

I've done the fan mods on a few box's and that's kept 'em cool enough so the x clamp mod hasn't been necessary so far(hopefully they won't need anything else).

#5 DrJeckyll

DrJeckyll

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:23 PM

It'll probably last longer if you'd immediately do the X-clamp method from RBJ. If it starts freezing the board has already warped a bit.

#6 tamzak

tamzak

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:26 PM

Mine started freezing more and more so i put in an extra 12v fan and changed the standard fans to 12V also...
At the end, it turned out i had a corrupted memory card what caused the box to freeze all the time...

So now i have a hell of a noisy box... but at least it isn't freezing anymore smile.gif

Maybe you're lucky too, and it's just memorycard/hd

#7 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE(andrewmc @ May 21 2007, 10:33 PM) View Post

I've had this 360 since christmas 06. Every once in a while it will freeze... up to once a day. Thats all the trouble I've got from it though after having it for months (except one dirty disk error on a brand new disk). I really want to mod the thing but I'm afraid that I'll eventually get the 3 red lights, and I don't have the money to buy a new one. I soldered a mod chip into my xbox 1 so I'm by no means new to modding... should I go for it?

Edit: just to clear this up, it doesn't freeze every single day. and when it freezes sometimes it's not even warm, making me thing it could be an error with the game's code/whatever.

how frequent are the freezes? more than 5 or so a week?

everyone gets random freezes, it happens, games code can mess up, but if they are freuent there is a problem.

what games has it been doin it most on, some games like saints row or test drive unlimited freeze a little more than other because they are fairly buggy games

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users