PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 12:08 AM

80GB PS3 for Korea, not for Europe or USA yet
Posted by XanTium | 21-5-2007 19:08 EST

From gamesindustry.biz:

New information on the website for Sony Computer Entertainment Korea suggests that an 80GB version of PlayStation 3 will be arriving in the territory next month.
According to the site, the 80GB model will bear a pre-tax price tag of KRW 518,000 (USD 557 / EUR 412 / GBP 232) and will hit the shops on June 16.

From gamesindustry.biz:

A spokesperson for Sony Computer Entertainment Europe confirmed that the information is correct, stating that the 80GB model will be the only one available in South Korea as there are no plans to launch the 20GB or 60GB versions there.

Nor are there any current proposals to make the larger hard drive-enabled model available here, according to the spokesperson, who told GI.biz, "At this moment in time, there are no plans to introduce the 80GB version of PlayStation 3 in Europe."

From next-gen.biz:

As you may have expected, Sony has told Next-Gen that there are currently no plans to bring South Korea's recently announced 80GB PlayStation 3 configuration to North America.

"We're constantly looking at new... configurations [for PS3], but currently there are no plans to change current hardware offerings [in North America]," said a Sony Computer Entertainment PR rep in a phone interview.

Full Story: gamesindustry.biz | gamesindustry.biz | next-gen.biz

#2 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 22 May 2007 - 12:15 AM

WOW at market fluctuations 80GB PS3 232, but here a 60GB PS3 costs 425. Speaks Rip of Briton laugh.gif

#3 epsilon72

epsilon72

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:updating my interests section of my profile
  • 360 version:none

Posted 22 May 2007 - 04:53 AM

I didn't think they were saving that much money by removing the PS2 silicon...

#4 Martinchris23

Martinchris23

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:31 AM

I really don't see the point of quoting the costs in other currencies, since they never compare to the retail price. I'm still baffled why Sony feel the need to release an 80GB version, when the 60GB should be ample. Why are they creating a 3rd SKU solely for Korea?

#5 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ May 22 2007, 09:07 AM) View Post

I really don't see the point of quoting the costs in other currencies, since they never compare to the retail price. I'm still baffled why Sony feel the need to release an 80GB version, when the 60GB should be ample. Why are they creating a 3rd SKU solely for Korea?

i bet korea laughs at the 360/ps3

they could fit more power than a ps3 and a 360 combined into a wristwatch.

#6 bluie

bluie

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ May 22 2007, 10:07 AM) View Post

What makes you think its a 3rd SKU? Far more likely that they will just upgrade the 60gig to 80, dont you think? And of course sony claims they have no plans to introduce the 80gig version in NA/EU. At least until they sold out their 60 gig supply.. it would be pretty stupid not to. =)

#7 Martinchris23

Martinchris23

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE(bluie @ May 22 2007, 12:13 PM) View Post

What makes you think its a 3rd SKU? Far more likely that they will just upgrade the 60gig to 80, dont you think? And of course sony claims they have no plans to introduce the 80gig version in NA/EU. At least until they sold out their 60 gig supply.. it would be pretty stupid not to. =)

Regardless of where it's being launched (or more importantly, where it isn't!), it's another configuration and therefore another SKU. Seeing as there's no intention to launch it to the EU/US market, the 60GB will continue to sell elsewhere, with the 20GB stock sat on shelves not selling.

That's 3 SKUs right there wink.gif

I don't agree with changing the specification - lower the cost instead of increasing the HDD size! Surely there are more complaints regarding cost than how much storage is available?

#8 Thraxen

Thraxen

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:44 AM

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ May 22 2007, 10:21 AM) View Post

I don't agree with changing the specification - lower the cost instead of increasing the HDD size! Surely there are more complaints regarding cost than how much storage is available?

The current thinking is that they must now be able to get 80 GB drives cheaper than 60 GBs drives. For example, maybe their supplier(s) are discontinuing 60 GB drives.

#9 mlmadmax

mlmadmax

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:37 AM

Maybe we will see the 80gig units when we run out of 60gig units in the states, say early 2010. tongue.gif

#10 incognegro

incognegro

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ May 22 2007, 09:07 AM) View Post

Korea is very much into online games and just online stuff in general. Its sony's way of future proofing the system for online in korea. The bigger the HDD the better they can market the product over there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users