RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,789 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:14 PM

Hey all, here's some pretty general info on the board designators or anyone needing a decent shot of a bit of the motherboard to trace out something for repair purposes or whatever, so here ya go. There are NO component values in here, just how the board can be looked at quickly and "read" to tell what type of part you're dealing with and where it's located, also so you can find a part quicker to get a measurement or remove it without having to scan over the whole board and possibly waste a good bit of time looking for some tiny, tiny part.

The board is setup into grids...

IPB Image

The first 1 or 2 characters of the board designation (the little white lettering close to the part, it's either 4 or 5 characters long) are the parts type...

C - Capacitor
D - Diode
FB - Ferrite Bead (Inductor)
Q - Transistor
R - Resistor
RT - Thermal Resistor
U - IC

GND - Ground

DB, FT and TP are for testing purposes, some go thru the board and others don't, they're for taking measurements at different locations in the circuits on the board and all from the bottom of the board, like in a "bed of nails" setup. Ya can think of that like a board with 100 pins sticking up from it all in different places, then the board sits in it and each of these DB, FT and/or TP points touches one to take the reading from it. Kinda like having 100 arms and test leads from multimeters, O-scopes or whatever all connected to the board at the same time, but a computer generally does that side of it.

The second 2 are the grid the part is in, then finally the last one is the number of how many of that type of part are in that grid. It doesn't mean they're all the same, just how many there are of that type of part in that grid.

So to recap, the board designation doesn't give ya the value of the part, but it does tell ya the type of part it is, where it's at in the grid and how many of that type of part there is in said grid. Like R2R3 is a Resistor in grid 2R and it's the 3rd Resistor in that grid.

GRID
9M --- --- --- --- --- 3M 2M 1M
9N 8N 7N 6N 5N 4N 3N 2N 1N
9P 8P 7P 6P 5P 4P 3P 2P 1P
9R 8R 7R 6R 5R 4R 3R 2R 1R
9T 8T 7T 6T 5T 4T 3T 2T 1T
9U 8U 7U 6U 5U 4U 3U 2U 1U
9V 8V 7V 6V 5V 4V 3V 2V 1V

This is ONLY for the bottom of the board and is NOT the Elite motherboard. The top of the motherboard is setup the same way, but labeled A, B, C, D, E, F, G, instead of the M, N, P, R, T, U, V the bottom uses. The letters O, Q and S aren't used since they're similar to 0 and 5 and that can get confusing right quick.

There are 2 versions of the "standard" 360 board that I know of, one with the ICS chip for the Ethernet, the other has a much smaller BCM chip. Depending on which chip is in your 360 there will be some slight differences on where some Resistors and Capacitors are located around that chip. For example, the ICS chip has a Resistor at R1M3, while the board with the BCM chip does not, this is normal. Likewise the board with the BCM chip has parts the ICS one does not, the differences are on the top and bottom of the board around this IC (possibly elsewhere also), so make sure ya know which one ya have before you go thinking a part is missing or that ya have a component where it isn't compared to these pics, this is a board with the BCM chip. The boards are technically the same, they're setup to accept either IC, the reason I say there are 2 versions is because if you were to go component checking around this area you basically have 2 different setups, so it's easier to keep them seperated by versions, ICS and BCM. I may go thru and document all the differences one day, but I'm sure ya can imagine that's about as much fun as pulling out your own teeth with a spoon and no anesthesia. wink.gif

#2 sinister slipknot

sinister slipknot

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:33 PM

VERY VERY indepth, beerchug.gif good work, could come in handy. Could we see an elite one next?

#3 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE(sinister slipknot @ May 26 2007, 05:09 PM) View Post

VERY VERY indepth, beerchug.gif good work, could come in handy. Could we see an elite one next?

Thanks. You'll see the Elite as soon as someone else does it or I get one dropped in my lap (not physically though). wink.gif

#4 RBJTech

RBJTech

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:17 AM

Great stuff !

Can you sticky this is the hardware FAQ please or I'll never find it again when I need it .. smile.gif

#5 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:58 AM

QUOTE(RBJTech @ May 26 2007, 07:53 PM) View Post

Great stuff !

Can you sticky this is the hardware FAQ please or I'll never find it again when I need it .. smile.gif

Done.

#6 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 27 May 2007 - 11:39 AM

very nice RDC, what would we do without you.

#7 BLOMBOMB

BLOMBOMB

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:46 PM

Holy COW this is NICE! Thanks RDC!

-B

#8 tapo39

tapo39

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:34 PM

Alright mate, i've lost a part off the motherboard... not sure what type of component it is. its located in 7r 6r 7t 6t on your post! its right behind the cpu and one has fell off. can you tell me the name of the part and possibly where i can get a new one?

Thanks

#9 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE(tapo39 @ Mar 9 2008, 04:10 PM) View Post

Alright mate, i've lost a part off the motherboard... not sure what type of component it is. its located in 7r 6r 7t 6t on your post! its right behind the cpu and one has fell off. can you tell me the name of the part and possibly where i can get a new one?

Thanks

Without knowing exactly what part you're referring to I can't tell you what it is. Either get a pic of it or find the exact board designation of the component in question if you want help. It's most likely just a Capacitor and will be fine missing, but that's not to be taken as gospel until it's known exactly what it is and if it is something that can be left off or not.

#10 brunosso

brunosso

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 05:35 PM

is possible to know the value of the C5R20 capacitor?!!? tnx in advance

#11 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:15 PM

I'm sure someone somewhere knows the value, but without a Capacitor checker or having the schematic it's not going to be known around here for awhile. If it's missing it'll be fine without it, the others there close to it the same size are in parallel with it, so that one missing isn't going to hurt anything.

#12 Wilhelm_I

Wilhelm_I

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • Interests:Fixing n modding 360s<br />Playing online with my clan<br />Having fun with my mates<br />Coding stuff...
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:45 PM

Damn well done mate.
I wished I would have seen this before I modeled the 360 mainboard this would have been such an awesome texture for the bottom part of the mobo.
Just wondering do you maybe have high res scan from the top of the mainboard without any big stuff like capacitors plugs buttons etc ?

#13 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE(Wilhelm_I @ Nov 23 2008, 09:21 AM) View Post

Damn well done mate.
I wished I would have seen this before I modeled the 360 mainboard this would have been such an awesome texture for the bottom part of the mobo.
Just wondering do you maybe have high res scan from the top of the mainboard without any big stuff like capacitors plugs buttons etc ?

I don't have the top scanned of this board, though I do have top/bottom scans of this version stripped completely bare though, not one part, just didn't get an 'in between' scan for whatever reason.

The next junker I get that's not fudged up I'd like to update this with the top scan as well as the Falcon motherboard top/bottom when I get one to tear into that much. I have a bottom scan of the Falcon right now, just need to get it all done up to post is all.

#14 Wilhelm_I

Wilhelm_I

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • Interests:Fixing n modding 360s<br />Playing online with my clan<br />Having fun with my mates<br />Coding stuff...
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE(RDC @ Nov 23 2008, 05:29 PM) View Post

I don't have the top scanned of this board, though I do have top/bottom scans of this version stripped completely bare though, not one part, just didn't get an 'in between' scan for whatever reason.

The next junker I get that's not fudged up I'd like to update this with the top scan as well as the Falcon motherboard top/bottom when I get one to tear into that much. I have a bottom scan of the Falcon right now, just need to get it all done up to post is all.

Thats okay to me would be cool if you could post it I would puzzle it back together on my own then smile.gif

#15 TheRedDeath

TheRedDeath

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:36 PM

im missing the ADP chip in the 9P section... what is this for? does it make a difference?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users