• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 03 June 2007 - 01:49 PM

you wont need any power, those are for external converters like the VGA adapter that need power to run the chips.

you DO however need to provide a ground for each of those lines (tie them all to pin 9 of the dc connector) the ground should attach to the metal ring of the AV connectors while the Red/white/Yellow will connect to the pin in the center.

#17 mikelspencr

mikelspencr

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:30 PM

while the Red/white/Yellow will connect to the pin in the center.

i understood the rest...what did you mean by that? i know that i wire the pin 9 to each indiviual red/white/yellow wire. but what pin in the center?

#18 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:42 PM

That part of the sentence is useless without the context provided by the preceding phrase:

the ground should attach to the metal ring of the AV connectors while the Red/white/Yellow will connect to the pin in the center.

AV connectors meaning the bits the plug into your TV they have a center pin and a ring around it.. the center pin is the data and the ring is ground.

#19 mikelspencr

mikelspencr

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:10 AM

so in my terms, and whilst looking at the cable im using,

the connectors are run through the cable by similarly colored wires. (red connector has red wire connected to it...yellow has yellow wire connected...white...well you get the point) so run a wire from ground to the outer rings at the tip of the connector? blink.gif and it'll work?

IPB Image

Edited by mikelspencr, 05 June 2007 - 02:29 AM.

#20 mikelspencr

mikelspencr

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:36 AM

sorry, i did the picture wrong.

IPB Image

#21 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 12:59 PM

yeah your first one is backwards but just to be sure I made this up:

IPB Image

#22 mikelspencr

mikelspencr

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 11:02 AM

biggrin.gif ok. well i went ahead with my grounding (second pic, just so you know)

ran a single 30AWG wire (kynar?) along the length of my AV cable. taping it at various points to hold in place. created a joint where the AV wires split, and ran a ground to each individual connector ring. a lil bit of flux, and solder got the wire attached pretty solid, trust me, i know a solid connection when i see it. if you can't you should stop soldering forever. lol biggrin.gif

anyways, after wires were connected and grounds finished, i kicked my bro off his ps2 for a hot second to use the av plugs. plugged in the power, hit power button, and got..................sound. i got the dreamcast sound, i guess thats what it was...never heard it before, but ill assume thats what i heard. so, after getting no picture, i disconnected it, and went back to work. this time i checked for broken lines, bad joints, etc...i cant find out what the problem is. ill see if i can get some pics of my work in a lil bit...cant promise professional quality tho... jester.gif lemme do that now...

#23 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE(mikelspencr @ Jun 6 2007, 06:38 AM) View Post

...ran a single 30AWG wire (kynar?) along the length of my AV cable. taping it at various points to hold in place. created a joint where the AV wires split, and ran a ground to each individual connector ring. ...

WTF blink.gif

WHY

the wires should already have a ground in there... how do you think the cable normally worked... just use a multi-meter to figure out which wires in the PS2 cable connects to the rings.

Honestly 30ga is WAY TOO THIN for something like that anyway, you'll get complete Shite for video and sound using it as a ground. you need at least 20ga... 16ga recommended.

#24 mikelspencr

mikelspencr

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 01:38 AM

well, i know you told me that i needed to make a ground...

you DO however need to provide a ground for each of those lines (tie them all to pin 9 of the dc connector) the ground should attach to the metal ring of the AV connectors while the Red/white/Yellow will connect to the pin in the center.

but there is a group of copper wires floatin around the middle of the cable...maybe if i solder them together and make them connect to the pin 9? on the mobo? ill wait before doing anything until you let me know if im doin it right...

oh, wait...i have 16AWG wire...maybe i can replace the 30AWG with that...maybe it'll work?

#25 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 07 June 2007 - 02:01 AM

Take a picture please.

There are 2 wires running inside the outer plastic of each plug. A positive and a negative. With the picture I can pinpoint each for you.

The negative may not be a wire like you are used to, it may be an uninsulated bunch of wires surrounding the positive wire. You do not need to run 30awg or 16 or anything. It is already in there.

Like this:
http://www.stagesele...eSega/wires.jpg
IPB Image

Edited by throwingks, 07 June 2007 - 02:04 AM.

#26 mikelspencr

mikelspencr

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:26 AM

yep, thats similar to my cable...lemme grab the cable...ill tell ya if they are outside the wires or inside...

*5 minutes later*

yeah, i never actually removed the metal clip around the wires, and now i know that the free strands of wire ran to that clip, and the clip connected to the ground on the tip of the plug. so thats how the AV got its ground...dont i feel like a jester.gif

now, i have free copper wires, do i solder those together? and add somethin to them to reach the pin 9? cause as far as i can tell, thats all that i can do...

ps. throwingks...your right, i havent really seen this type of ground before. but my common sense says that only those could be ground...

Edited by mikelspencr, 07 June 2007 - 11:29 AM.

#27 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE(mikelspencr @ Jun 6 2007, 09:14 PM) View Post

well, i know you told me that i needed to make a ground...
but there is a group of copper wires floatin around the middle of the cable...maybe if i solder them together and make them connect to the pin 9? on the mobo? ill wait before doing anything until you let me know if im doin it right...
oh, wait...i have 16AWG wire...maybe i can replace the 30AWG with that...maybe it'll work?

"provide" is not the same thing as "make"

I simply meant that there was more then one wire to solder per connector.

yes those copper strands floating around are most likely the ground... it's used as shielding in the cable as well as a data reference point.

wrap them all up together and connect it to pin 1 using a decent gage wire... actually you might not even have to connect it to pin 1 but simply ground it to the case... use a multi meter to see if pin 1 is connected to the case shielding in anyway and if it is connect your ground to that instead of pin 1 (it would make a much better connection. Be sure to test for shorts between the ground and the data pins.

your yellow wire should be connected to pin 13.

Edited by twistedsymphony, 07 June 2007 - 01:04 PM.

#28 mikelspencr

mikelspencr

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:57 PM

great....well, ill get those soldered together, and add some 16AWG wire...is that big enough? maybe i should go with some 6AWG...lol

im just playing...i know what you mean...but im serious about the 16AWG...

can i just gorund them to the metal part of the case, cause if i remember correctly from memory, ( ph34r.gif ) almost any AV plug touches metal to metal to create a ground. xbox does it, playstaion does it...and dreamcast SHOULD do it...

i really dont wanna use another pin on the mobo...i had to find decent points after i popped off on of the vias i soldered to...

Edited by mikelspencr, 09 June 2007 - 04:59 PM.

#29 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:24 AM

QUOTE(mikelspencr @ Jun 9 2007, 12:33 PM) View Post

great....well, ill get those soldered together, and add some 16AWG wire...is that big enough? maybe i should go with some 6AWG...lol
im just playing...i know what you mean...but im serious about the 16AWG...
can i just gorund them to the metal part of the case, cause if i remember correctly from memory, ( ph34r.gif ) almost any AV plug touches metal to metal to create a ground. xbox does it, playstaion does it...and dreamcast SHOULD do it...

i really dont wanna use another pin on the mobo...i had to find decent points after i popped off on of the vias i soldered to...

there's a good chance that you can solder the ground to the case... but there's a possibility you can't, it all depends how the DC was built, take a multimeter to pin 1 and the case and see if there is a solid connection. if there is you can feel free to solder to the case.

#30 mikelspencr

mikelspencr

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:51 AM

well, remember that pin 9 i tapped into a while ago...i used it again with a bigger wire. the bigger wire was soldered to the ground wires, and when it was all said and done, i booted and got nothing at first, but i figured maybe the wiring is a little mixed up, knowing me....swapped the white and yellow, and hey look theres a screen there...so ive completed my goal, and made my own cable...ill write a tut for everyone here...

with all credit going to twistedsymphony, throwingks ,and anyone else...thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users