11 replies to this topic

#1 Shaolyen

Shaolyen

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 08:21 PM

I know, to mod an LE Xbox is a terrible thing.

But, I thought I'd go ahead and do it anyway. Just popped a cathode in there, nothing groundbreaking (and I'm sure it's been done a lot).

Sorry about the camera quality - it makes the glow look crap, but in real life it looks pretty sweet... it was a pain the get the exposure right. (The glowing isn't really THAT intense!)

user posted image

user posted image

#2 VisualAid

VisualAid

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 08:26 PM

were the hell did u put the cathode lol?

I couldnt find anywhere for mine to fit and i didnt wanna mess up the x-box biggrin.gif and mine isnt see thru sad.gif it wouldnt shine thru anything

#3 D3AdMan

D3AdMan

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 09:00 PM

They make a light string and also the more expensive light tape that'll do the job and take up very little space... I coiled the string up under my modded jewel and the glow is very intense and much more even then other usual methods I see on here... rotfl.gif

#4 Shaolyen

Shaolyen

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 09:02 PM

lol, if you've got a black Xbox what's the point in a cathode? wink.gif

The cathode fit perfectly at the very bottom of the Xbox, at the front between the two plastic supports for the HD and DVD drives. The inverter was the hardest thing to fit in, I put that between the hard drive and the motherboard. All the rest I just crammed on top, heh.

#5 Shaolyen

Shaolyen

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 09:04 PM

D3AdMan, I would have used some neon string but I had a white cathode lying around, so I thought I might as well use it wink.gif

#6 scsitit

scsitit

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 09:24 PM

That shit looks fucking awesome dude, i'm soooo jealous. I wanna buy an LE box now just to put a cold cathode in there. IMHO, i'd put more lights in it, and make it better. It looks strange just the bottom front lighted, having a lighted jewel or something would be killer dude.

nice one!

R

#7 Shaolyen

Shaolyen

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 10:14 PM

Thanks scsitit - I would have put neon string around the edges, but I had a cold cathode at the time so I thought I'd put it in, instead of buying any new stuff.

You can't see it in the photos very well, but it does make the entire box glow - looks pretty decent.

#8 scsitit

scsitit

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 11:17 PM

Shove some extreme bright LED's along the top part of the case, creating an X meeting at the centre of the jewel. IE, the centre of the X (created by LED lighting) would be the black jewel, and have some EL wire.

That's what id do anyway smile.gif

#9 Shaolyen

Shaolyen

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 10:34 AM

There are a lot of nice holes in the metal casing of the Xbox lid, if I run neon string underneath it the effect should be pretty sweet. The only problem is that there isn't a lot of head room above the drives, so it'd be a tight squeeze.

Installing a white LED in one of my controllers today, I wonder how it'll turn out :

#10 xSpiralx

xSpiralx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 01 June 2003 - 12:48 PM

Why would people flame you? A LE xbox is nice to have, but if you have fun putting mods in it thats great. Dont let other people be the limit of your creations.

#11 SupeRdUPErBlakE

SupeRdUPErBlakE

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, computing. Anything Geeky and I'm in. :)
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 01 June 2003 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (xSpiralx @ Jun 1 2003, 08:48 AM)
Why would people flame you? A LE xbox is nice to have, but if you have fun putting mods in it thats great. Dont let other people be the limit of your creations.

Yeah I'm wondering the same thing...I think modding your 'box promotes creativity and just shows that you want to stand out...

#12 Shaolyen

Shaolyen

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 03:19 PM

lol - on another Xbox forum (I can't remember which one), someone got flamed because he cleared the jewel and put a bright red cathode underneath it at the top of his LE Xbox. It did look awful, but loads of people made the point that LE Xboxes are things of beauty and should be tampered with. wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users