#1 hovind

hovind

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 May 2007 - 03:33 AM

I got a badly mangled xbox from a friend that i would like to repair and modify.
I've already chipped my xbox, so I've got some experience there, but I don't know how to interpret the behavior I'm experiencing with this one (I've consulted http://www.xbox-scen...icles/leds.php).

The guy I got the box from tore it up pretty good trying to get a disc out of the drive, so that's gone and not attached. From what he tells me, he was unable to eject before he attacked it and gave it to me.

With the optical drive removed, I tried powering it up. Power cycles three times, then the LED begins flashing red and green (no audio or video output is discernible; the thing is hooked up to an AV pack).

The explanation of "probably a bad chip or image" given in the article linked above doesn't seem likely to me, unless the "chip" being referred to is the CPU or something other than a modchip. I can try temporarily swapping the DVD drive from my working xbox into the bad one for troubleshooting if that matters at all.

Any suggestions?

#2 FrictionAddiction

FrictionAddiction

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:31 AM

the xbox will frag with the dvd drive removed (unless u have a chip fitted with a bios that skips the dvd drive on start up)

try hooking up ur dvd too this box and seeing wot happens

#3 hovind

hovind

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 03:35 PM

After installing the DVD drive in the bad xbox it still frags, but differently now.
First boot is a solid green light, then it shuts down.
Upon reboot, the green light is flashing, then it shuts down.
The third time, I get the red/green flashing lights and nothing happens.

One boot was successful and took me to the M$ dash.
If I manage to get it to boot correctly again, might installing a softmod solve this problem?

#4 Berzerker92

Berzerker92

X-S X-perience

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:Modding? paintball, sports.
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 29 May 2007 - 04:28 PM

worth a shot isnt it? wink.gif

#5 hovind

hovind

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:17 AM

The shot has been taken, and I am (somewhat) happy to report (somewhat) positive results.
I've was able to install using the Splinter Cell exploit, but the reboot in the middle of the process froze on the standard Xbox splash screen. Turned it off and back on, and it fragged.

After waiting 5 minutes, I turned it back on again and it booted and installed UnleashX no problem.
I was able to FTP into the box and install my preferred dash (XBMC). Again, no problem.

Now when I boot up, it seems to frag only if it has previously been running within the past five minutes.
Otherwise, no problems.

It's definitely not overheating, and it runs just fine when it runs. I'm having a hard time thinking of what the problem might be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users