• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mat7h3w

mat7h3w

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:atari 2600, nes, snes, sega genesis, x-box(mine is softmod w/ unleashx dash), and more
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:03 AM

I was wondering if people would offer some feedback as to what is their favorite controller to use with emulators on the xbox? Do you prefer the standard s-type official xbox controller? Do you use a ps1/ps2 adapter and use a ps1 and/or ps2 controller? How about those street-fighter anniversary controllers? Since to date, as far as i know, there are no known means for using, for example, an actual NES controller on the Xbox, what do you like best as an alternative?

I found a place online where you can order the Akuma version of the Xbox Street Fighter Anniversary controller for only $10 so I'm thinking of ordering a couple to try those out to see how they do.

#2 rubbercarp

rubbercarp

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:33 PM

Wow. For some reason I never thought of using the Xbox Street Fighter 6 Button controllers for emulators.
I should get a couple for MK on NeoGenesis.

Do they work pretty well?

#3 El Noel

El Noel

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:57 PM

I use my MASSystems stick for MAME/FBAxxx and it works a treat! Forget the Xbox-specific version and go for the Spuergun 6-button version for that true arcade feel. Google for MASSystems and take a look for yourself. I've not seen a better controller.

#4 rubbercarp

rubbercarp

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:25 PM

Wow. Those do look nice!
A little Spendy, but they look great

#5 mat7h3w

mat7h3w

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:atari 2600, nes, snes, sega genesis, x-box(mine is softmod w/ unleashx dash), and more
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:32 AM

They do look good, and for arcade/mame they would probably be perfect. I'm planning on getting a pair of the akuma controllers for trying out, since they are designed originally to work with the Xbox with no special adapters needed. Sega did re-release the saturn controller for the PS2, but it never made it to the Xbox. However, with a PS1/PS2 controller adapter for the Xbox, it should work in theory. This would probably be the best controller option for Genesis games, and would work for NES games as well. However, it would probably work poorly for SNES games since the 2nd row of 3 buttons on sega controllers were so much smaller in size than the first row of 3 buttons. So, no matter how you mapped the buttons in the emulator (presuming it works with a PS1/PS2 to Xbox adapter in the first place), there is no way to get all 4 buttons used on the SNES pad to be quite accurate using a Saturn controller.

I think, from what I can tell, short of hacking apart an s-type Xbox conroller and doing a lot of wiring/soldering, the Street Fighter anniversary controller would probably be the best choice. You get 6 buttons that are all full size, and triggers, so this should work perfect for NES/SNES and Genesis emulation. So, once the ones I ordered arrive, I'll know if they are worth it or not. Some reviews I've read on them claim their are made cheaply and break easily, but for $10 a controller, it's not a big loss if that happens.

However, I do see one primary controller area that is still seriously lacking, and that being the Nintendo 64 controller. It was designed and shaped so strange in comparison to any controller seen before or since, that I think you'd actually have to do some intensive wiring/soldering and hope for being able to get an actual N64 controller to work on it.

I realize this is probably a common complaint by users of emulators on the original Xbox, but the lack of any directly viable option for using original system controllers is a real pain. Sure the original NES controller was about as far from ergonomic as you could get. Sure, your fingers would cramp after enough button mashing. Sure, its small by comparison to most all modern console controllers. However, it is the only way to play NES games with the original feel, response, and control.

I guess this is just another reason for frustration, considering that the Xbox was not designed to be capable of using plug-n-play. I've seen a really cool website where you can buy original NES and SNES controllers, for example, that have been modified with USB connectors on the end that are completely plug-n-play compatible with windows based PCs. Its a real shame that such functionality was never a part of the original Xbox. It's also a concern of mnie.

If that functionality was not built into the original Xbox, even if/when the 360 gets hacked to run unsigned code, would it be capable of using original controllers modified to USB anymore than the original Xbox can?

I realize that neither PSone or N64 games will likely ever run completely flawlessly in emulation on the original Xbox, but the 360 should easily have the hardware power necessary to do so. I just hope that if/when emulation moves onto the nex-gen console, that the lack of original system controller support doesn't ollow along with it.

#6 Cospefogo

Cospefogo

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:20 PM

Well,

I have been neurotic about this subject for a long time. Let me tell you
guys my adventures around this problem.

1. The first controller I did try was the Nuby Street Fighter Controller. Did
buy a Guile version (horrible - aesthetic speaking - ugly colors) and it was
pretty fine for me to play emulators. The D-pad does not "unexpected get diagonals"
as the S controller, but I found out the buttons a bit too (how can I describe in english
words?) tigh? You need a excessive pressure on each button. You know that feeling
when you press buttons brand new controller never used before? It's the same,
but a bit more exaggerated. They are not SOFT to be pressed - but my opinion
is - it worths the buy for sure.

2. The second one was a Logitech controller (with cord) and I like it - for Xbox game,
and not emulation.

3. The third one was a PS2 to Xbox Adapter and a PS2 controller. Well, it works awesome
for me, but since PS2 have some kind of analog sensitivity in all buttons, you need
to press too DEEP the buttons on the controller, ever using excessive force, otherwise
you get no response on the emulators. This was annoying.

4. So my 4th try was a VINTAGE-CLASSIC-NO-ANALOGIC first PSX controller. Damn' HELL,
it's the BEST controller for emulation out there. It's very ligh weight, it has no analogic stuff,
and it's ALMOST LIKE THE SAME as the original SNES CONTROLLER!!! I do reccomend!

5. And to finish my post, while using PS2 to XBOX adapters, buy HORI ARCADE CONTROLLERS
for PS2/PSX. They are SUPERB. Really superb!

All the best,
Cospefogo.

#7 PatchBokov

PatchBokov

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:05 PM

It may depend also on wich emulators you use more. If you play n64 games more than retro stuff, the xbox gamepad will be fine. Having a N64 to Xbox adaptor could be the best but I didn't tried so far. One thing I don't like about n64 pads is that the joystick lifespan is short. playing 1-2 years will make the stick loose. Personally I hate the Dpad on xbox gamepads. Simply not accurate.. I bought a psx to xbox (Joybox v2) and it works perfectly. Ideal for old snes 2d scrollers (metroid, mario, contra..). Another cool thing is that you can use your psx/ps2 pad on the pc quite easely. Since the xbox ports are usb, it is easier to build yourself a USB to Xbox adaptor then you plug the Joybox than building a PC Serial port to PSX (directpad). I have both.

#8 Monkey Bread

Monkey Bread

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 01:24 AM

Those Akuma controllers are cheaply made and feel like junk. I went with the Mortal Kombat fatality controller (sub zero version). It has the familiar 6-button style layout so it works well for Genesis emulators and it's heavier so it doesn't feel so cheap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users