throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:16 PM

Do you guys have any advice on new tires for a 2004 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder (205/65R15)? It is the family grocery getter, and all 4 of the factory tires are bald, and the full size spare has popped. So, we need 4 new tires and gonna keep the best old one for a full size spare.

I am thinking of heading to Sam's Club and get them to do it. But, I admit, I know nothing about what brand or type to get.

Thanks for any help at all.

#2 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:21 PM

depends on your budget and what you want.

if it's the family car theres no real need for something like toyo's, nankangs, expensive things.

personally i run around on goodyear hydragrips, but that's because it rains alot here, and they are good in the dry too, mid priced.

Michelin, goodyear etc, all good mid price tyres suitable for what you need.

just don't get remould or budget tyres, horrible.

Edited by grim_d, 30 May 2007 - 03:22 PM.

#3 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:30 PM

We are planning on owning this car till it falls apart so I just called around looking for some long term tires. The best deal I have found so far is Yokahama tires with a 90,000 tread life for $351 out the door.

For 40,000 mile tires I was quoted around $300 for all 4 so I might as well get these good ones. Anybody ever use or hear about Yokohama?

#4 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE(throwingks @ May 30 2007, 05:06 PM) View Post

We are planning on owning this car till it falls apart so I just called around looking for some long term tires. The best deal I have found so far is Yokahama tires with a 90,000 tread life for $351 out the door.

For 40,000 mile tires I was quoted around $300 for all 4 so I might as well get these good ones. Anybody ever use or hear about Yokohama?

yokos are usually quite high end, so if you can get a good deal on some then go for it.

i'm usually lucky to get 20k out some tyres laugh.gif

#5 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Interests:PC Gamer, Console Collector, Raging Movie & Cartoon Addict, full time nerd.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:18 PM

I have the Yoko's on my car, the YK420's. Overall the grip is decent on them, however they seem to pop pretty easy. I have had 5 of them sustain some sort of hole and had to purchase 3 new tires because of it, now I am down to the back 2 wheels being yoko and the front being cheap-o. Maybe it's the area I live in, but it seems to me that the sidewalls are weak. Also, it's very possible it's the model of tire rather than an indication of overall quality for Yoko. Just a heads up.

#6 CKwik240

CKwik240

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:26 PM

Unless you plan on driving the rated mileage of a tire within about 2 years, then don't be too concerened about the rated tire mileage. While the thread may go that far, the tire itself will not be performing anywhere near it's original capacity after about 2 years depending on how they are used. The tires will really harden and begin to get brittle. Traction will suffer greatly when this occurs. You may say you don't drive hard enough to need the traction, but consider that it only takes one occurance of not being able to stop in time for an accident to occur. You're collision deductible will probably be higher than the difference in cost of the tires you are considering...

Even then, generally speaking, cheaper tires tend to have cheaper rubber and may suffer from heat cycling much sooner.

The best way to choose a tire is to decide what type of tire you need (high performance, all-season, winter, etc), determine which are available in the size you need and get the best one you can afford. Not necessarily the most expensive, but in a general sense, you get what you pay for. The higher priced brands tend to have tires that operate better for longer periods, are quieter and have better low tread wet traction. Most tire tests rate their perfomance when new, so little, if any insight will be given about their long term performance.

#7 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:37 PM

^ I really just need an all-season to keep my family as safe as possible. I am not worried about spending a few extra dollars, if it means my family is that much safer. I travel a lot, and I worry constantly if my family is alright. The less I have to worry about, the better for me.

I was going to get some today, but my wife's mother is having unplanned surgery. So, I will probably end up getting them next week.

#8 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:19 PM

I rarely get more then 20K out of a set of tires

I only got about 15K out of a set of Falkens on my WRX not due to tread life but they wore unevenly and were just junk on a whole.

I've been running 33" BFG all-terrains on my Truck (massive sidewalls) and after about 20K they've still got all the little nubs like they did right from the factory, looking at them you'd swear I just barely put them on the truck the tread life is fantastic and I've heard claims of people going 50K before they even start to see signs of tread wear.

It's all based on the compound in the tire... the Falkens were cheap but they were sport performance tires so they were softer meaning they have a very short life and damage more easily, but they grip the road fantastically.

The BFGs on my truck are a very hard compound (and a more expensive tire) which means they'll probably outlast the truck (I'm pushing 160K miles at this point). But they don't grip all that well. they slide a bit in wet weather, in the snow they're great due to 4WD and a good tread, but I unintentionally peel out all the time when moving from a dead stop.

you'll need to find a good balance because good grip and tire life are competing goals.

An extreme example are race tires, they're super sticky and usually only last 1 race, sometimes not even that long (ie: pit stops).

Where you live in Virginia I wouldn't bother with all seasons (no snow... no reason). You'd be better served getting a set designed for dry and rainy pavement and high temperatures.

Also I highly recommend getting them filled with nitrogen. it's only about an extra $5 per tire but the pressure wont fluctuate with temperature and that's particularly important for those ridiculously hot days and incorrect tire pressure the second most common cause of blow outs and other tire related issues closely behind running over something sharp.

#9 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:01 AM

We do a lot of tires @ work. I always recommend "Michelin Harmony" tires for a long wearing, great performing tire for a family car. A great budget branded tire for the same application is "Delta Esteem".

I am not a big fan of BFG for a family car tire, the models they make for your application have a very soft sidewall which may be good for comfort, doesn't give adequate support for rapid maneuvers. But for a truck tire, as twistedsymphony said, there are no better tires.

#10 hamwbone

hamwbone

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:19 PM

i sold tires for 6 years, Ive seen it all. mileage warranties are only there to get you back in the store when they run out of tread early. all warranties are prorated. (i worked at goodyear) having put them on my sisters and moms cars, (i don't like many good year tires) the goodyear assurance triple treads are one of THE best tires you can put on your car for your family's safety. not a sales pitch haha i hate 90% of goodyear tires, they just payed rent and food bill as far i saw. but the triple treads really make a difference in rain and in the vehicles handling. i first hand took driving tests on road courses with them and saw how they are made. they are top notch. you might spend 100$ more for the set then some other tires, but believe me you dont want to skimp on tires and they destroy those yokohamas (soft rubber! blech). look into them

always get your vehicles alignment checked when you get new tires or soon after, its a quick way to throw money out the window if you dont, and keep them rotated

best tires you can put on your car - heres a link

http://www.tirerack....lay.jsp?type=AS <--- rating

http://www.tirerack....ance TripleTred <--actual tire

Im not trying to be pushy but your comment about it being the grocery getter is the most important comment, those vehicles need the best tires you money can afford on them, they are involved in the most accidents and suffer the most punishment of any vehicle on the road.

nitrogen is really a waste of money, your better of just checking your tire pressure every other week with a 99 cent gauge and getting FREE air in the any way. tires pressure increases with temperature and air loss really isn't that big of an issue now a days, most tires have a haylibutal (cant even spell it) lining the prevents any air escaping from them. Besides, air is 80% nitrogen anyway, you are already using a blend. haha its just not worth the money

Edited by hamwbone, 04 June 2007 - 09:33 PM.

#11 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:55 PM

Thank you for the feedback. Ham that is an awesome comparison link.

I am going to call around... again. But, this time I feel I know what I am asking for a little bit better than before.
GY Triple Tread or Michelin Harmony with an alignment.

The Sam's Club right down the road has GY Triple Treads ($106 each), I just checked online.

I will have these new tires on my car by Friday. I'll let you know how it goes.

#12 hamwbone

hamwbone

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 12:31 AM

call around, and bring in price quotes most places will be happy to beat prices, any goodyear store will beat those sams prices, just bring in a quote

#13 hamwbone

hamwbone

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 09:40 AM

any word on the tire purchase?

i avoid this forum like the plauge, and i apologize, but i sopent 6 years as a mechanic/svs tech and i hated that place, but if any one has any real life car probs, be sure to msg me, ill find time for you =)

#14 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 01:13 PM

Yeah, sorry for not responding sooner.

This is kinda out there, but... The cashier, I think, had the hots for my wife. I am not lying. She gave us her Home and Cell number right away, and asked us to get together for the weekend. After which, she talked us into buying BF Goodrich tires. They were booked solid for 2 days, so the cashier wrote us a permission slip to get service before the official hours. My wife refused to go, so I had to do it myself. But, I overslept, and ended up getting squeezed in later in the day. Anyway...

They cashier that day (different lady) recommended the same tires. Either they get more commission on cheaper tires, or these are decent. I specifically asked for the Triple Tread (no Michelins in stock) , but they both recommended these BFGs. I got all four tires mounted and balanced for $350. I told them I was willing to spend $500 for the other tires and they didn't want me to. uhh.gif

I still need to get it aligned though. It is $65 at a few places. Is that absolutely necessary? If I take my hands off the wheel, there is no recognizable pull.

#15 hamwbone

hamwbone

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:57 PM

i pull doesnt tell you that you have an alignment issue, a pull usually comes from bad tires actually. if you didnt have any bad wear issues with your old tires, eh - it up to you. you could hold off if you wanted

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users