7 replies to this topic

#1 XLNC

XLNC

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:14 PM

I want to play a hi-def video file on the xbox 360 in the H.264 format but it's in the MKV container, is there any way to convert it to MP4?

I already know that the xbox 360 now supports H.264 since the spring dash update.

#2 syntaxerror329

syntaxerror329

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts
  • Interests:Mountain Biking, Downhill Skiing, Xbox Mod Chips, Xbox Repair, Wiikey, ARGON, D2pro, XBOX360,
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.1 (opus)

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:36 AM

I am looking for the same thing you are. I would love a step by step on going from a HDTV_MOVIE.MKV (containing h.264 video stream) and making it playable on the 360. I already know how to convert most videos into a compatible .WMV and there are a few good utilities to automate that. I figure some updated utilities should be coming out to take advantage of spring updates addition of h.264 but I haven't run into anything yet.

I was also wondering if anyone knows if a h.264 stream is being taken from MKV format and then moved into a different container like .MP4 (or whatever 360 uses for this) does it have to be re-encoded or is it possible to "Re-contain" the stream somehow without dropping any quality. I guess if bit rate is higher then 360 is allowed to play then you definitely would have to re-ecode it to acceptable rate but what I am asking is there any circumstance where the h.264 stream could be stripped out of a MKV and have its container changed to a 360 compatible format and not have to do anything more then find a tool to rebuild the video?

Any help or useful links on this subject would be of interest to me and XLNC smile.gif

Thanks

#3 mesurf

mesurf

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE(syntaxerror329 @ Jun 5 2007, 06:12 AM) View Post

I am looking for the same thing you are. I would love a step by step on going from a HDTV_MOVIE.MKV (containing h.264 video stream) and making it playable on the 360.

I would like to do the same thing. perhaps we could search for.mkv to .mp4?
http://forum.doom9.o...ad.php?t=126610

#4 Compupaq

Compupaq

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:29 AM

Here's what you need to do. First, get MKVExtractGUI. Use that to extract the raw h.264 video and audio out of the file. Next, you need to convert the audio to 2ch lc aac if it isn't in that format already.

Then, get Yamb. Open it and click on "Click on this item to create an MP4 file...". Place the video and audio into it. Go to the properties of the video and set the frame rate. After that, choose where to save it at and click next. Then hopefully it will work.

If it still won't play on the 360, then you will probably have to re-encode the video.

#5 mesurf

mesurf

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 05:17 AM

I had to convert the ac3 file to aac. This doc helped with that:
http://www.doom9.org...ht-ac3toaac.htm

#6 stopbuggingme

stopbuggingme

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:01 PM

Hi here,

I stuck at step three: Where is this .h264 file of my demuxed video file? Do I have to change something in MKVmerge before demuxing?

#7 TheTerminator

TheTerminator

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:25 PM

GotSENT works great. Google it.

GotSENT works great. Google it.

#8 Heet

Heet

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts
  • Interests:Pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. Disk space.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:09 AM

Cool thanks for that. Hadn't tried that. smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users