• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 cr0

cr0

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 02:37 AM

Hi all, I'm investigating water cooling for my PS3.

I've looked through BigJimmy's tutorial and haven't noticed any major issues with tube routing. However, I'm concerned about the size of the CPU and GPU chips. I'd rather not have custom water blocks made, so I'm hoping I'll be able to use normal CPU blocks. (i.e. blocks from swiftech, danger den, etc.)

My questions are:
  1. What are the dimensions for each chip?
  2. What are the diagonal distances between the mounting holes for each chip?
  3. With the heatsink/fan block removed, will the PS3 still function? i.e. is there an RPM monitor that will shut down the PS3 if no activity is detected?
  4. With the heatsink/fan block removed are there supports to keep the rest of the innards elevated to the same height?
I just got my PS3 less than 2 days ago, so I'm little wary of taking it apart just yet in case it decides to die in the first week or so.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm especially curious to hear if anyone else has investigated this previously.

Thanks!

- cr0

Edited by cr0, 31 May 2007 - 02:38 AM.

#2 pablot

pablot

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:54 AM

is there any special reason for you to water cool it? Or is it just to be the first? smile.gif

last I checked the PS3 is very quiet and does not overheat.

Would be a fun project though!

#3 wh00pass

wh00pass

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:11 AM

haha, wow, i hate the idea of having water flow threw my ps3, jeeze,what if the tube melted on something or sprange a leek, their goes $600 and probley ur house burning down to smile.gif
it would be fun and a way to impress ur friends, hope this works for you man

#4 nimicitor

nimicitor

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE(wh00pass @ Jun 5 2007, 08:47 AM) View Post
what if the tube melted

if the tube melted then the water wouldn't be doing its job.
you would probably see any water related problems before they did any damage.

(im not an expert)

#5 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE(wh00pass @ Jun 5 2007, 08:47 AM) View Post

haha, wow, i hate the idea of having water flow threw my ps3, jeeze,what if the tube melted on something or sprange a leek, their goes $600 and probley ur house burning down to smile.gif
it would be fun and a way to impress ur friends, hope this works for you man

it's not water cooling anymore, it's liquid cooling.

using water is stupid for that very reason (leaks) so any sensible luqid cooling setup would be using non-conductive liquid specially designed not to damage electrical components if the worst were to happen and a leak were to occur.

#6 BIMPtacular

BIMPtacular

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 June 2007 - 02:53 AM

if/when you brick your ps3 ill buy the stock case from you for $50

BIMP

#7 lapoune

lapoune

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE(grim_d @ Jun 5 2007, 03:55 PM) View Post

it's not water cooling anymore, it's liquid cooling.

using water is stupid for that very reason (leaks) so any sensible luqid cooling setup would be using non-conductive liquid specially designed not to damage electrical components if the worst were to happen and a leak were to occur.

Every liquid with a reasonable price conducts electricity (if not at first, after a short period of time). For liquid cooling water is still the best option. It has the best heat transfer properties too...

#8 EnVious

EnVious

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:H2O flowing through tubes cooling components better then air.
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:22 AM

If I had a PS3 I'd watercool it.

Edited by EnVious, 03 July 2007 - 01:23 AM.

#9 Sweeet

Sweeet

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 July 2007 - 07:09 PM

When I put my hand over the fan at the back of my PS3, it's actually fairly hot.

Maybe not such a crazy idea but I think the PS3 is built to withstand the heat, unlike another console I know.

Edited by Sweeet, 06 July 2007 - 07:10 PM.

#10 the_massakre

the_massakre

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:21 AM

QUOTE(Sweeet @ Jul 6 2007, 07:45 PM) View Post

When I put my hand over the fan at the back of my PS3, it's actually fairly hot.

Maybe not such a crazy idea but I think the PS3 is built to withstand the heat, unlike another console I know.

i havent had any problems with my wii,j/k, watercooling it'd be awesome,but i am no help past encouragement,good luck

#11 elcazador

elcazador

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 04:23 AM

QUOTE(cr0 @ May 30 2007, 10:13 PM) View Post

Hi all, I'm investigating water cooling for my PS3.

I've looked through BigJimmy's tutorial and haven't noticed any major issues with tube routing. However, I'm concerned about the size of the CPU and GPU chips. I'd rather not have custom water blocks made, so I'm hoping I'll be able to use normal CPU blocks. (i.e. blocks from swiftech, danger den, etc.)

My questions are:
  1. What are the dimensions for each chip?
  2. What are the diagonal distances between the mounting holes for each chip?
  3. With the heatsink/fan block removed, will the PS3 still function? i.e. is there an RPM monitor that will shut down the PS3 if no activity is detected?
  4. With the heatsink/fan block removed are there supports to keep the rest of the innards elevated to the same height?
I just got my PS3 less than 2 days ago, so I'm little wary of taking it apart just yet in case it decides to die in the first week or so.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm especially curious to hear if anyone else has investigated this previously.

Thanks!

- cr0

I have decided to undertake this project. I can get every part required. I only need one additional part and that would be the brackets to fit the water cooling block on. Cooler Bracket Hardware . It might be separate for the PS3. But since you are the only one interested in this project as i am. We can decide to talk in private. PM me. I have more info than you might possibly have. I wouldnt want to discuss it here. Not if others dont have interest and simply wish to fear liquid cooling might cause potential damage.

#12 splank

splank

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Magners irish cider! and Building/modding electronic equipment.
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:40 PM

Wow that will be really cool if you pull it off! Defo post your progress and good luck!

#13 elcazador

elcazador

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:16 PM

Alright. As soon as my warranty is over I will pop open the PS3 and work on liquid cooling it. I am currently Liquid Cooling my X360. I wonder if i can put splitters and cool the PS3 with the same reservoir. I have found a good waterblock for the PS3 if anyone is interested. I am sure that waterblock will work in PS3.

Waterblock - hxxp://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=29_46&products_id=87 <-- Will work 100%
If anyone thinks that waterblock wont work please post. Also if someone has a custom waterblock let me know. I really love those Innovatek X360 waterblocks (really expensive though).

I am using Koolance Exos-2LX for my X360 and I plan to use splitters like i said to cool the PS3 as well.

#14 rhopper

rhopper

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:57 PM

i dont like koolance stuff as much as i like swiftech.... but koolance dost the job

swiftech...cpu size they have apogee regular and server (output is sideways)

http://www.performance-pcs.com/ lots of cpu and gpu blocks

the raidator is big if you want it to cool better than it already dose.. the external koolance is ok but not top of the line (probly the best external kit)

i see it costing over 300$ eigther way and you ps3 isnt going to be as moveable...not tryn to stop you just saying

heres a product i havnt yet researched
http://www.performan...oducts_id=22149

could be cool if its just for 1 block...although a 2x120 rad would be better and nessicary if you do 2 components

Edited by rhopper, 04 September 2007 - 07:12 PM.

#15 elcazador

elcazador

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:11 AM

I have received my Infectus PS3 modchip from Italy. I now start to open my PS3. Detailed pictures will be provided to Koolance corp and posted around the net and here as well. Once the Modchip is installed i will watercool the PS3 as it makes moving around the motherboard much easier.
I am doing a thorough analysis of the onboard fw and a lot of other work. I will keep you guys updated of progress.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users