#1 Masta-G

Masta-G

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:14 AM

Hi, I recently bought a new lcd television from the brand "Thomson"
It has a 3-way rca (component) input and a dvi (for both digital dvi and anlog dvi).
When I connect my computer (geforce 6800ultra) to my television using a DVI-I cable, I can turn up my resolution upto 1080p.
Also when I connect my dreamcast vgabox to a vga <-> dvi converter I can go 720p (the dc doesnt do better than that).
However the xbox360 connected to the 3 RCA inputs (red, blue, green) will only work on 480i.
So apprently the television doesnt like anything higher on the analog rca inputs.

Instead of getting a xbox 360 elite with a digital hdmi output, I found this thing:
http://cgi.ebay.nl/G...1QQcmdZViewItem

Since I know it supports analog dvi (RGB) using the dreamcast and digital dvi using my geforce.. Would it be possible to use the converter from ebay and set it to 1080p when connected to the dvi port?

Edited by Masta-G, 31 May 2007 - 10:29 AM.

#2 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,465 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:31 PM

1. RCA is not the same thing as component... they are two different things decide which one your talking about first and then only use the proper term so we know what it is you're talking about. (read the sticky if you don't know the difference)

2. the Dreamcast is not capable of anything greater then 640x480 @60Hz (which is effectively 480p) if your display is showing more then that then it's interpreting the signal incorrectly... or your misinterpreting it. 720x480 is not 720p... that is also 480p

3. If you're using component cables to connect to your HDTV and are getting a 480i signal then there are two things you need to check

First: make sure the switch on the connector is set to "HDTV" and not "TV" setting it to "TV" will force it into 480i mode, and AFAIK in the "HDTV" position 480i isn't even possible.

Second: make sure you've changed the video output settings in the Xbox 360's dashboard. it will default to the lowest (read: most compatible) setting until you manually change it to something in HD.

If neither one of those do the trick then either
A. you're hooking it up wrong
B. your cable is broken: get a new one or
C. your Xbox 360 is broken

4. DONT BUY CRAPPY CONVERTERS they wont do anything to fix your problem and you'll only waste your money... and no you wont get 1080p using one either.

Edited by twistedsymphony, 31 May 2007 - 07:32 PM.

#3 Masta-G

Masta-G

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:24 AM

Ok, that clears it up a bit.
The cable on the 360 is indeed set to HDTV, and instead of plugging in the yellow one, I use the red/green/blue ones (YUC) for video, and red/white for audio.
When I boot up my xbox360 it defaults to 480i.
When I set my dashboard resolution at 720i the screen will go blank and when I try 1080i or 1080p the screen will look corrupt.
And 480i doesn't look that sharp...

However my TV also has a DVI port, supporting both analog and digital DVI signals.
I recently got a DVI-I cable to connect my GeForce 6800Ultra to my TV and I found out I can turn it upto 1080p (progressive) which gives a very clear picture.
I ran Serious Sam 2 and Call of Duty 2 on 1080p and I've never seen such quality before.

My PC outputs Digital DVI and my TV accepts that signal upto 1080p.
My Dreamcast VGA-box connected to the DVI port must be analog (i think) and only goes upto 720x480 (you were right).
So I should test if my TV also accepts VGA at 1080p (connected to the DVI port).
And if it does, then the (YUC) -> VGA/DVI converter should allow my xbox360 (connected to the DVI port) to play at 1080p right?

And if it doesn't I should get a xbox360 elite or a box that converts the YUC signal -> Digital DVI

#4 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Members
  • 10,465 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE(Masta-G @ Jun 1 2007, 07:00 AM) View Post

So I should test if my TV also accepts VGA at 1080p (connected to the DVI port).

Yes

And if it does, then the (YUC) -> VGA/DVI converter should allow my xbox360 (connected to the DVI port) to play at 1080p right?

No... if you want 1080p with a premium you should buy the official Xbox360 VGA cable and connect it the same way you are connecting the Dreamcast now... If you still want the Dreamcast hooked up in 480p then you'd be better getting a VGA to YUV adapter to hook that up.

The adapter you linked to wont look nearly as good as using an official VGA cable.

And if it doesn't I should get a xbox360 elite or a box that converts the YUC signal -> Digital DVI

Don't waste your money on a YUC to DVI-D converter they cost about $200-$250 and they're generally a huge waste of money. The adapter you linked to does not do Analog to Digital conversion.

From the sound of it Either something is wrong with your current AV cable or something is wrong with your TV's component video input.

My advice

1. Borrow a cable from a friend to see if it works with their cable
2. failing that take your console to a friends house and hook it up to their HDTV to see if that works (try both of your cables)
3. failing that buy an official Xbox 360 VGA cable and connect it to your TV the same way you've connected your dreamcast
4. filing that Sell your Premium console and buy an elite, hook it up via HDMI

Edited by twistedsymphony, 01 June 2007 - 03:01 PM.

#5 Masta-G

Masta-G

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 12:16 PM

Thanks alot,

I tested the offical xbox360 VGA-cable from a friend, with a converter to the DVI-port and it almost goes upto 1920x1080.
The screen is not well positioned at that resolution. (I dont see the entire left side of the screen)
But if I go one step below 1920x1080, it will look right. (forgot the resolution)
Quality is a lot better than the YUV-cable:)
Anyways it's still not as good compared to my computer connected to the DVI-port (digital-dvi).

My YUV-cable is fine, it's just that the YUV-port on my television doesn't support anything above 480i.
Because it's an old television anyways.

I'm going to buy a YUV-cable for the dreamcast (since it will never go above 480i) and wait for the elite to be available in holland. (since my current 360 is banned anyways:p)
Then I'll get a DVI-switch (since my TV only has one DVI-port), to connect both the PC, and the Xbox360 elite.

Conclusion:
My TV only supports 480i on the YUV-port,
almost 1920x1080 in VGA-mode (connected to the DVI-port)
and full 1080p on DVI-Digital mode.

Thanks again, for your information:)

Edited by Masta-G, 02 June 2007 - 12:17 PM.

#6 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Members
  • 10,465 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE(Masta-G @ Jun 2 2007, 07:52 AM) View Post

I'm going to buy a YUV-cable for the dreamcast (since it will never go above 480i) ...

The Dreamcast (unfortunately) doesn't support a YUV connection... The only way to get that kind of signal would be to convert VGA to YUV with an external adapter.

If you've got S-Video ports I'd suggest just using that until you've got your Elite, then go back to using VGA for the Dreamcast... a VGA -> YUV adapter will be fairly pricey.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users