• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:30 AM

Europe Investigates Microsoft Xbox 360 Scratching Disk Problem
Posted by XanTium | June 1 23:30 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From theinquirer.net:

THE EUROPEAN COMMISSIONER for Consumers has asked Microsoft to explain why Xbox 360s have so many faulty hard drives [note: obviously they mean disc drives here].

According to this Dutch web site, Commissioner Meglena Kuneva wants answers from Microsoft. Fast.
There are, apparently, 1,000 complaints from The Netherlands alone. She wants and expects Microsoft to respond to worldwide complaints about the problem.

There's a radio interview with the Commissioner, here - much of this is in English. She wants Microsoft to respond in a week. She mentions this in her blog, which can be found by clicking on her EU page.

Full Story: theinquirer.net

#2 mlapaglia

mlapaglia

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:08 AM

are we talking about faulty "hard drives" or optical drives..?

your move m$ lol

#3 BHOFF00

BHOFF00

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 7 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:08 AM

pffft total market scam. Microsoft paying small companys to take surveys/investigate "disc scratching problems" to take the attention away from the real problem OVERHEATING/3ROD!!

We all know thats the only real BIG problem, I mean yea discs get reported scratching here and their but for the most part the numbers are small compared to overheating and the 3 rings of death.

#4 Nytemunkey

Nytemunkey

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:Drinking, partying, girls, modding stuff, playing xbox
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:44 AM

Not for me. This hits closer to home as I have had 2 discs scratched but 0 3RODs. Maybe one was my fault, but now that I think it wasnt. I moved the console (off) with a disc still in it, but it wasn't on so it should matter. The other disc was scratched by the 360 for sure no doubt. But its only GH2 and GUN that have had this problem, all other discs are fine and have been for quite some time now.

Oh well, just go down the street and have them restored for 3 bucks, they look brand new again!

But props for Europe for standing up to MS about this problem. See MS will fix the 3ROD problems. But as for disc scratching you are SOL!

#5 tgm4883

tgm4883

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:58 AM

European Xbox 360's must have serious problems if their Hard drives are scratching their DVD's.

#6 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:23 AM

QUOTE(tgm4883 @ Jun 2 2007, 12:34 AM) View Post

European Xbox 360's must have serious problems if their Hard drives are scratching their DVD's.

I imagine its a typo or the author of the article is not computer literate.

#7 quarky42

quarky42

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 06:14 AM

My 360 has never moved. Never been bumped...yet it's somehow scratched 2 discs.

I'm anal about my cds... I have cds from '95 that have zero scratches on them still although I've listened to them hundreds of times.

I also don't change games much...If I'm not playing split screen with someone, I'll leave the same game in there for months. I'm very glad that this is staying public! a warranty extended to 1 year simply isn't enough for flawed 1st version consoles.

Edited by quarky42, 02 June 2007 - 06:15 AM.

#8 flashfreak

flashfreak

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 02 June 2007 - 06:18 AM

They have given microsoft a week...ok now what, what happens when they dont respond?

#9 steveju

steveju

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 02 June 2007 - 06:43 AM

QUOTE(flashfreak @ Jun 2 2007, 05:54 AM) View Post

They have given microsoft a week...ok now what, what happens when they dont respond?

Microsoft gets fined by the EU for selling a faulty product, and knowing about it or something like that, and gets more time to respond in return. Didn't know the HDDs were that faulty though, I thought it was the DVD drives. Need to listen to that interview to find out if they mixed them up.

#10 midnightcharger2

midnightcharger2

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:20 AM

Guess they never heard of X-S. They could conclude in 5 minutes of reading why the discs get scratched. tongue.gif

#11 Djpj

Djpj

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:37 AM

Well i live in the Netherlands and that website (originally vara.kassa.nl) is translated by a cheap translation site, so it's pretty much half-assed english tongue.gif

But there's a english version of this programme on TV broadcasted in England, they had items about the 3ROD, but the dutch programme didn't understand and did their articles about scratches on DVDs blink.gif

#12 Biohead

Biohead

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:47 AM

Thank god - The first step has been taken to get someone like the EU involved. I've just started noticing on most of my discs that are used frequently that the clear bit in the middle, where the ODD spindle motor attaches, are cracked pretty bad. Neither of the cracks reach the data yet - but like many people my console never gets moved. I know the EU can be twats at time (*Cough*Windows "N" variants*), but I'm really hoping they DO get involved soon and force MS to offer a fix - and not that shitty disc replacement scheme either. The fault lies with the drive.

It's whenever my games are spinning down I noticed this rubbing noise. It's as though the motor just lets go of the disc at high speed, rather than hold it whilst slowing down. Unfortunatley, its a launch-day console and MS won't acknowledge it without 120.

And I'm pretty sure they meant DVD drive, not hard drive.

#13 UB6_IB9

UB6_IB9

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:59 AM

"She mentions this in her bog" lol

#14 47_M450N_47

47_M450N_47

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modding, anything with computers and networking. Gaming. Shooting stuff, blowing up stuff.

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:10 AM

With all the typos and stating that the hard drive is scratching discs...somehow I doubt that this will help in any way, form, or fashion. And whoopity-doo Bazzle, somebody mentioned something in their blog. Freakin blogs, I don't care to read someone else's opinion on stuff like this unless they actually know what they are talking about.

#15 Cr4z33

Cr4z33

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:43 AM

One reason more I am running backups.
It was enough one time seeing my PG3 brand new disc scratched after a few runs... mad.gif
I hope MS will have to refund us!?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users