• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:41 AM

Xtreme Boot Maker v0.5.4 Pulled
Posted by XanTium | June 4 22:41 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From Klutsh on x-projects.org:

Xtreme Boot Maker(info)(info) 0.5.4 has been dropped.
Stoner who took over from 0.5.3 has tried to take XBM in a direction that was never intended.
I did not realize that Stoner altered the Samtool executable (without permission) and released it for public use.
DO NOT USE XBM 0.5.4 it may destroy your 360's drive.

I apologize for this error in judgment on my part, from now I will be the sole developer of XBM, working in conjunction the Caster420 and the Xtreme firmware team, to bring you stable and tested applications.

Releases of XBM can be trusted from here, Xbox-Scene and 360mods.net.
If you see mention of 360hax anywhere in any future release it was not done by X-Projects and should be treated with caution.

Update:
The majority of 0.5.4 is ok to use.
Please do not use the advanced restore feature, this is where the only problem lies.

Official Site: www.x-projects.org

#2 Jumpy_Beans

Jumpy_Beans

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:52 AM

hah, people hijacking shit!!! awesome!!

#3 blackandbrownman

blackandbrownman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:45 AM

Guess that's what happens when u leave something important up to a guy named stoner blink.gif

#4 stevenalvarado

stevenalvarado

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Location:Costa Rica PlayStation3 Version: none Nintendo Wii Version: v4.1u
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:49 AM

I hope no xb360 got destroyed!
Serously.

#5 sekone

sekone

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:49 AM

i'm going to try my first flash which version should i use?

thanks

#6 proger

proger

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:03 AM

I'm still using 0.3.6.

I like the UI, and it still works fine for me.

#7 pash

pash

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:17 AM

So thats why I dont use any automated tools. I want to know whats goin on an do it by hand. Its not to hard to create a bootdisc and use two files. I tried xbm and saw to many bugs in it. I wouldnt use it again!

#8 RiPpN-N-TrIppN

RiPpN-N-TrIppN

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:44 AM

bloody stoners
Ha

#9 shiz

shiz

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:54 AM

can we still use 0.5.3RC2 thou?

#10 Klutsh

Klutsh

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:57 AM

QUOTE(shiz @ Jun 5 2007, 07:30 AM) View Post

can we still use 0.5.3RC2 thou?

0.5.3 all RC versions are fine.

#11 Winchy

Winchy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 12:42 PM

Well I understand that caster and yourself had not seen the source (apparently) before this release. Despite Stoner saying he regularly sent you it (I think). And of course it is up to you and I'm sure you have your reasons for this decision..

But it does honestly seem like a very good release which is user friendly and a great addition to the scene tbh.
And its only some writeln changed in samtool with castors permission?

Edited by Winchy, 05 June 2007 - 12:46 PM.

#12 caster420

caster420

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE(Winchy @ Jun 5 2007, 07:18 AM) View Post
Well I understand that caster and yourself had not seen the source (apparently) before this release. Despite Stoner saying he regularly sent you it (I think). And of course it is up to you and I'm sure you have your reasons for this decision..

But it does honestly seem like a very good release which is user friendly and a great addition to the scene tbh.
And its only some writeln changed in samtool with castors permission?

He was told that he could change whatever he wanted, as long as the following happened:

A ) He changed the version number so if issues came up, it would be know with which source
B ) He didnt mess with any of the procedures that actually do the work
C ) He let me see the source before releasing

It was obviously a misunderstanding on his part. 'C' did not happen, as I had not seen the changed source(s) until this morning. He pushed ahead with the release without allowing Klutsh or myself to fully review what changes had occured. The last thing i wanted to happen was there to be a change in the source that could have negative results. Not that he would change anything intentionally but in looking out for the interest of the end user. The XBM release is between Klutsh and himself.

I also stated that i am in the middle of enhancing a lot of the procedures and making samtool a much more solid program. I stated that i was hoping that he would wait until it was finished and that i would add support to whatever he wanted to do differently.

You must understand that having people alter the source of a program without a true understand of what a lot of it does can potentially be a disaster. This was not an attack on him but an attempt to ensure that the stability and quality of both programs remain as they are.

It is ultimately a decision by Klutsh and what he feels is best for his application. If he feels uncomfortable with what someone else is doing with his code, regardless of if it is good for the scene or not, then he has the right to do what he has done.

I also dont think that people should be stating that this or that was done with or without someones permission. Only the three involved, Klutsh, stoner, and myself, know what actually occured. A lot of what has occured is due to a communcation gap and/or interpreting things that were said incorrectly.

Caster.

Edited by caster420, 05 June 2007 - 03:13 PM.

#13 Winchy

Winchy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:34 PM

Yeah I 100% agree with what you've said and understand that communication is always an issue, especially on the net. And of course that you three only know what went on.
I was just pointing out that its a shame that the release is a waste and will not be seen by many people and stoner is receiving bad rep, like that of 0okm within the psp modding community despite hard work.
Of course it could have caused some trouble if something was missed, but it would be good for everyone if the mistake was forgotten and the source was over looked as no harm was meant by stoner (who tested extensively (checking 100 boot discs)).
Having used the release myself a few times I'm finding it very useful and think many others would benefit from it.
But that's my 2 cents and Klutsh can do whatever the heck he likes, its his program.

EDIT: I used it, everything I have done has been fine. It is a shame others aren't going to use it as it is very good.
Not trying to get involved in issues, hopefully my final post in here.

Edited by Winchy, 05 June 2007 - 03:44 PM.

#14 sosotiit

sosotiit

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,034 posts
  • Interests:Techno gadgets and espresso coffee
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:39 PM

Thks for the clarification,

I would request the members to leave the communication issues between Klutsh, caster420 and stoner between them, plse. This is a technical forum, and should not here do arbitration, not the role of the technical software forum.

If you have questions regarding the software itself, Because you ended up using it, because you heard of features..., anything about the techno and use is fine. It is just not needed to go in the 'non technical aspect', for that to happen

-soso

Edit: Hey winchy, if you have seen nice feature, nothing wrong to bug Klutsh and caster a bit to see if they will pursue them biggrin.gif biggrin.gif , we just do not need the other stuff to do that. wink.gif

Edited by sosotiit, 05 June 2007 - 03:45 PM.

#15 Klutsh

Klutsh

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:24 PM

Having now seen the source to this 0.5.4 (Stoner Edit's)
I can say that I was justified pulling it, the Recreate Original firmware isn't done correctly.

I intended for XBM to copy only the KEY, and no other area, instead it uses SamTool (Excellent Program tongue.gif ) and copies the whole key area.

This could be a bad thing, as the whole key area may be different in MS25 compared to MS28.

Where as copying just the actual Key is a safer option.

That, and failing to follow Casters rule 'C', is why it was pulled.

So as not to blemish, his name fully, I am now working with him, step by step, to help him better understand what to do, and also to 'FIX' 0.5.4 so it can once again be released.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users