#1 cayotic

cayotic

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 06 June 2007 - 03:43 PM

I just bought my first 360 off ebay for $440 with 7 games but all but two are scratched to hell.

A friend at work has a 360 suffering from RLOD and is forced to part with his 360. So I swapped his drive for mine, both are samsung MS25 drives. His being firmware modded and mine being stock.

When I insert my backup in his drive it reads "unreadable disk", and when I load the backup in my drive it reads "open tray".

He swares that the drive read backups fine while in his xbox so why wouldn't it read them in my 360?

Since I have it apart I could conduct the research and just mod my drive but I'm just curious as to why a modded drive isn't working in my console.

Any ideas?

#2 sosotiit

sosotiit

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,034 posts
  • Interests:Techno gadgets and espresso coffee
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 06 June 2007 - 03:48 PM

there is an ID key that identifies you drive uniquely to the MB. You have to transfer that from your drive to his before puttin it in your x360, have you done that?

-soso

#3 cayotic

cayotic

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:51 PM

No I have not, I figured since it wasn't unique in the original Xbox why would it be in the 360. How come OEM games will play in my Xbox using either his or my drive if only my drive is has the unique identifier?

This is what I didn't want to have to do... Set my 360 next to my pc in order to gain access to my 360 DVD drive.

If I am going to do that, I might as well mod my own drive and not buy his.

So, need I look any further than the usual places in order to obtain and update the unique identifier?

Edited by cayotic, 06 June 2007 - 10:58 PM.

#4 sosotiit

sosotiit

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 11:13 PM

if you swap: How To Replace By A Samsung Drive, Also How To Spoof, Flash, and correct E66 Errors .

if you flash yours: How To Update To iXtreme: Tutorial, Xtreme Boot maker / Via card method,

-soso

#5 edrock200

edrock200

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:49 AM

QUOTE(sosotiit @ Jun 6 2007, 11:49 PM) View Post

Wait a min though, if he puts his friends drive in, and it reads OEM's fine like he says, it cant be the drive key, right? I thought there were some early model xboxes that didn't marry the drive to the mb...no?

#6 cayotic

cayotic

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 07:05 AM

Yes, the other samsung drive read OEM games in my console.

I tried to mod my DVD drives firmware but I can't get my PC to boot via USB. I get a blinking cursor. (_)

I think I have a compatible PCI Sata card to conduct the upgrade as mine appears to be a VIA VT 6421 version. This being reported by Xtreme Boot Maker.

During the format of my thumb drive, I get the following error:

"Exception Processing Message C00000a3 parameteres 75b6bf9c 4 75b6bf9c 75b6bf9c"
Quit _ Retry _ Continue

If I continue it appears that the drive has been formatted properly but I'm not sure... as I said it won't boot from it.

I think I might try to update the unique ID key of my console onto the other DVD drive. Since mine tends to resist ejecting properly.

#7 cayotic

cayotic

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:02 AM

I tried using another thumb drive as wella s installing a floppy drive and still no luck. I get the same error.

I don't think either of these methods are for me at this time.

How come these flashing programs have to be ran outside of windows? Why can't we come up with a utility that recognizes ms25 and ms28 drives and allows you to flash them from your desktop without the risk of flashing other drives?

Just crossing over to the 360 scene and as an outsider, it's painfull to see how behind we are between both MS consoles. I understand we've had 7 years on Xbox1, but the technology is nearly the same and we have more people involved these days. I'm not expecting to run code on the 360 at this time but the software we do have should be definitive. None of this 10 sec wait trick for MS28 drives. The software should know what drive it is via auto detection or user specification and then knows to wait 10-11 seconds to flash. Thank god I don't have a ms28 but I could see how that would be frustrating.

There will always be hardware limitations such as the requirement for VIA VT6421 PCI sata cards in order to even communicate with 360 hardware, but even then, we should have 360 sata to USB connectors available for purchase that over comes these barriers.

Sorry for venting...

#8 Havok

Havok

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 June 2007 - 05:44 PM

The key point is NEARLY the same...

You cant use a windows flasher for Samsung drives because the drive can not be detected by windows.

There are other methods instead of using the 10 second trick that involves soldering.

Its called the "10 second trick" but its not always 10 seconds.. it may be 5 it may be 20...

Also with the 10 seond trick.. i'd like you to show me how the software is going to power on and off my 360.. which is really what the 10 second trick does. (because of protections the drive can only be access during initialization..)

You really have to understand the problems before complainign about them...

#9 cayotic

cayotic

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:48 PM

true... good point...

I think I'll leave this bad boy stock for now. I don't use XBL but it hurts the resale value of my console for those that do.

Instead of backups, ppl should just purchase best buy's equipment protection for xbox games. It's like $3 and if your friend has the same game that's scratched just return it under your warranty.

Edited by cayotic, 07 June 2007 - 09:49 PM.

#10 sosotiit

sosotiit

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE(cayotic @ Jun 7 2007, 05:24 PM) View Post

Instead of backups, ppl should just purchase best buy's equipment protection for xbox games. It's like $3 and if your friend has the same game that's scratched just return it under your warranty.

called retail fraud!!!
closed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users