• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jeremybrown82

jeremybrown82

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:07 PM

Has any one ever tried connecting a spare original (360) dvd drive to connect to the xbox 360 unit externally via USB, fitted with either custom firmware (using the identical drive key from the other drive) or a chipped drive. Has it been done before? Ive searched everywhere and could not find any reference to my question.. I know that the xbox detects the HD-DVD drive to the xbox 360, why not a regualr dvd 360 drive.

I dont want to invest in the SATA to USB converter, if this could be done i would not have to take apart my 360 it would save the warrenty..

Im looking to install linux on my Xbox 360.

Here is a link that looks good for the idea..

http://www.newegg.co...dapter - Retail

Thanks,
Jeremy

P.S. As far as the power supply goes, doesnt the original xbox power use the same connecter to power that dvd drive as the 360 dvd drive? I have a junk xbox in my basement, consdering if i just remove the connector and power unit, and make a little cage for it, i could basically power the external dvd drive if that were the case..

#2 jeremybrown82

jeremybrown82

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 12:19 AM

Sorry i didnt hyperlink the url to the adapter, but before that..

I would like to assess a few questions or ideas for people to look at for console hacking..

1. Firstly is it possible to use the SATA (hard drive) interface on the 360 console to connect a SATA (360) dvd drive to it?

2. Since multiple usb devices can be connected on a hub..
Is it possilbe to convert (using an adapter) the sata interface on either the harddrive port or the dvd port (of the console) to a usb hub, then hook up either a spare xbox 360 harddrive or dvd drive to the usb hub (using another adapter)? In this sence one could "hookup" a couple extra 120GB harddrives or a spare dvd drive for backup/homebrew reasons..

3. Use an original xbox 360 dvd drive (chipped) or (custom firmware) in a hd-dvd enclousre made for the xbox and connecting its usb to the xbox usb port.

________

Thanks,
Jeremy

P.S. I'll post more ideas as they come up..

Sata to Usb

_______

and here is another link to an hd-dvd replacement drive and below that a link to a plain old dvd drive..

Link to hd-dvd drive

Link to dvd-drive (360)

_______

And a few crazy things people have done

Ipod Dock for the 360

Xbox 360 laptop

Sata Hdd Controler card adapter
______

Sorry if i bumb too soon, please advise.

#3 The Prankster

The Prankster

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Electronics, technology etc.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 09 June 2007 - 12:53 AM

Sorry, but everything you're proposing is not within reach of the current xbox 360 hacking community. I'm guessing it never will be either. Everything you're wanting to do is just competely not feasible through any means. All the pinouts for the xbox 360 are specific, the xbox 360 EXPECTS a dvd drive on the SATA port for the dvd drive, it also EXPECTS an HDD on the custom SATA port for the HDD. Though they both are SATA ports, it's the logic of the xbox one at work here(sort of), if you switched the HDD and the DVD drive on the IDE cable, it wouldn't work(HDD is device 2... DVD drive device 1), because it has predetermined settings of WHERE these devices will be on the motherboard and/or cable. The xbox 360 will not look on another bus/port for the dvd drive, and if you managed to switch them for the correct SATA pinouts of the motherboard to the SATA cable to the DVD + HDD, they would not work, the xbox 360 wouldn't be sending the correct commands to the drives, it would be trying to find the HDD on the DVD drive and the DVD drive on the HDD.

And to the USB dvd drive... that would in essence work, but someone would need to create another firmware for the drive JUST for that, and that won't happen, because there is no reason for someone to need a USB regular DVD drive.

If you're going to mod, you need to void your warranty, that's the price you have to pay for wanting to make more use out of the xbox 360.

Here's a link to a tutorial for having a 120gb USB drive. Well it's not really a mod persay, but it's something.

#4 jeremybrown82

jeremybrown82

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:23 AM

QUOTE(The Prankster @ Jun 8 2007, 08:29 PM) View Post

And to the USB dvd drive... that would in essence work, but someone would need to create another firmware for the drive JUST for that, and that won't happen, because there is no reason for someone to need a USB regular DVD drive.

To Play backups or run homebrew or linux,without having to open up and void the warrenty?

As to everything else i under stand, and thanks for the feedback!

Jeremy

P.S. Oh could you look at this link for me and see if its a plausable application to my idea?? So i guess is xbox 360 sata I or sata II, if its sata II then you can use this nifty hub to add more whatever to what you need, check it!

Sata Hub

Edited by jeremybrown82, 09 June 2007 - 01:33 AM.

#5 The Prankster

The Prankster

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Electronics, technology etc.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:50 AM

jeremybrown82 you're still not getting it, the thing is that none of this is possible at all at the moment, and chances are that it will NOT be possible in the future.

And to that SATA hub, that simply won't work, it doesn't matter what SATA version it is, you can't add a hub to it and add more devices, that won't work. The xbox 360 is looking for one device, and one only, if you add two, with a hub, you would get an error of some kind.

I'm saying now, EVERYTHING YOU ARE TRYING + THROWING OUT HERE AS 'IDEAS', is NOT POSSIBLE through any reasonable means.

Goodbye.

#6 jeremybrown82

jeremybrown82

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:20 PM

Funny thing that is IS possible now eh?

#7 rs4playniuwa

rs4playniuwa

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:47 AM

The building Lord really invincible, thought very have routines.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
You may also like:Rs Money|runescape gold

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users