• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,034 posts
  • Interests:Techno gadgets and espresso coffee
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:46 PM

not 100% sure I am following you man,

1) you if you can rip game with 1.2, the answer is no. you need to flash back to 5.3 or get a Kreon drive in you pc (shd162c or shd163a)

2)do you mean if the new firmware is safe?, if so , yes it really looks good based on what MS is checking for now. What is the guarantee for the future, none as they can strat checking something different eventually.
Note that this is a hobby, and must remain just that. No one should put itself in a position where losing its console is not an acceptable outcome you are willing to live with if it comes to that. Just the Fun of hacking biggrin.gif

-soso

Edited by sosotiit, 12 June 2007 - 11:50 PM.

#137 ILLPLEASA

ILLPLEASA

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:07 AM

QUOTE(Iriez @ Jun 10 2007, 12:50 AM) View Post

Yes, it should still work, so long as its on dual layer. There is no 'stealth' or 'non stealth' for 0800 discs.

Thanks for clearing that up Iriez... 'Preciate it wink.gif

#138 AirGibson

AirGibson

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE(Iriez @ Jun 12 2007, 01:57 PM) View Post

Yes, there is.

MS has no way of cross-checking which xbox's have been serviced and had their dvd drives upgraded. There are likely thousands of consoles that had a ms25 originally, but were upgraded to ms28 in the repair. The NAND is not updated in the processes, so the original drive string is still read as original.

MS cannot presume that if your original drive string is ms25, and they cannot query the drive, that you should be banned.

There are many situations like this in this 'ban' game we are playing. MS does not want to risk banning thousands of innocent users over their profitable services, due to bad PR and possible large margin loss.

There must be *solid* methods for detection in order to account for bannings, which is why pfi/dmi was the first logical step. We also believe the (next)method will be distributed in a universal detection, as opposed to individual drive version queries for different detection/ban methods. Thats going to be very very difficult for MS.

Iriez, you're still missing what he is saying, or else I'm missing out on one step of this. You are assuming the only way Microsoft could find out the type of drive it is talking to would be to check the NAND on the 360. On the other hand, we are talking about polling the drive itself to determine this, not the NAND.

Suppose you have a MS25 with iXtreme loaded, but you don't spoof it to anything else. When you turn on the 360, imagine this happens:
360: "Hello, Mr. Drive! What kind of drive are you?

MS25: "Hello, 360! I'm a MS25!". (note the drive is being polled...this is not coming from the NAND)

360: "Okay, MS25. I show that you match what is in my NAND and you are the correct drive for this unit. I can accept you, or I can even accept a MS28 if Microsoft decides to upgrade you! But between you and me, I like MS25s better. Hey, since you are a MS25 like you just reported to me, do you mind if I see your firmware?"

MS25: "F U. Nobody can see my firmware."

360: "That is certainly odd behavior for an MS25!!"

Your response to this has been that somehow Microsoft would be "unsure" if they were talking to a MS25 since they could have been upgraded to an MS28 by Microsoft. Why do you think that they would be unsure on this? Yes, we know the 360 could be upgraded to a MS28 and that the MS25 drive string is still stored in the NAND. But they don't have to rely on the NAND to figure out what drive is there. To better illustrate this, let's throw this oh-so-confusing wrench in my above example with a legitimate MS28 upgrade:

360: "Hello, Mr. Drive! What kind of drive are you?

MS28: "Hello, 360! I'm a MS28!".

360: "An MS28?!?!?! Whoa, hold on a second. My NAND says this unit originally had a MS25...oh wait, that's right. MS28's are allowed since Microsoft can upgrade you! Hey, MS28, can I see your firmware?"

MS28: "F U. Nobody can see my firmware."

360: "Pffft...typical. Those MS28s are always pricks like that."

Cliffs:
- We are not talking about what drive is stored in the 360s onboard memory. YES, WE KNOW UPGRADES ARE ALLOWED. Instead, we are talking about polling the drive itself.

- If the drive's identity can be polled, then fact that the 360 can be upgraded does not somehow "confuse" Microsoft or prevent them from being able to recognize a MS25 from a MS28.

Edited by AirGibson, 13 June 2007 - 12:16 AM.

#139 OriginalCompGeek

OriginalCompGeek

X-S X-perience

• PipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:01 AM

Updated to 1.2 no problems, only one additional non-working backup, and it was already suspect.

#140 Iriez

Iriez

XBINS TOTALITARIAN

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:54 AM

QUOTE(AirGibson @ Jun 12 2007, 06:47 PM) View Post

Iriez, you're still missing what he is saying, or else I'm missing out on one step of this. You are assuming the only way Microsoft could find out the type of drive it is talking to would be to check the NAND on the 360. On the other hand, we are talking about polling the drive itself to determine this, not the NAND.

Suppose you have a MS25 with iXtreme loaded, but you don't spoof it to anything else. When you turn on the 360, imagine this happens:
Your response to this has been that somehow Microsoft would be "unsure" if they were talking to a MS25 since they could have been upgraded to an MS28 by Microsoft. Why do you think that they would be unsure on this? Yes, we know the 360 could be upgraded to a MS28 and that the MS25 drive string is still stored in the NAND. But they don't have to rely on the NAND to figure out what drive is there. To better illustrate this, let's throw this oh-so-confusing wrench in my above example with a legitimate MS28 upgrade:
Cliffs:
- We are not talking about what drive is stored in the 360s onboard memory. YES, WE KNOW UPGRADES ARE ALLOWED. Instead, we are talking about polling the drive itself.

- If the drive's identity can be polled, then fact that the 360 can be upgraded does not somehow "confuse" Microsoft or prevent them from being able to recognize a MS25 from a MS28.

Yes, i see your logic here. I did not mean to imply that firmguard would prevent the version string from being seen. We all know the console queries that string upon boot. I was replying to what I thought zach was questioning. Your example clarifies things.

To address your concern, we still believe that the detection method will need to be universal for each drive, and not specific for any manufactorer. Remember, there are 4 brands of makers now, with well over a dozen different models to boot. From a company's perspective, it is not very sound to do specific attacks.

To clarify, we seriously doubt that the inconsistancy will ever be a cause for bannings. However, i hope i never have to eat my words smile.gif

But, in light of your logic, I will recommend users to 'play it safe' as we always do, and stick to the upgrade to ms28.

Edited by Iriez, 13 June 2007 - 07:55 AM.

#141 ProdigyXP

ProdigyXP

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:37 AM

I took AirGibson's logic to mean that one should spoof an MS25 as a MS28 ("Yes" at mismatch prompt)?

Iriez, when you say you now recommend users to "upgrade to ms28", doesn't that imply answering "No" to mismatch prompt?

Just looking for clarification before I act on the advice.

#142 ZakMcRofl

ZakMcRofl

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE(ProdigyXP @ Jun 13 2007, 01:13 PM) View Post

I took AirGibson's logic to mean that one should spoof an MS25 as a MS28 ("Yes" at mismatch prompt)?

Iriez, when you say you now recommend users to "upgrade to ms28", doesn't that imply answering "No" to mismatch prompt?

Just looking for clarification before I act on the advice.

The correct choice is "no". Both AirGibson and Irized (plus myself) recommend it.
IIRC the question asked is something like: "mismatch detected, would you like to copy driveid from orig.bin".

If you have an MS25 drive your orig.bin will be MS25, the mismatch will be due to the fact that Ixtreme is MS28. Therefore, if you select 'no', the driveid will remain MS28 even if you originally had an MS25.

The confusion comes from the different usage of the term "spoof".
Is a MS25 drive flashed to MS28 a spoof (it isn't, its updated to MS28).
Is a MS25 drive flashed to MS28 but reporting as MS25 a spoof (yes it is, it claims to be a different version then it actually is).
Its important to remember that the drives are identical.

In conclusion: the ONLY reason to ever select 'YES' is if you tried 'NO' and got E66. This means your console is married with the drive version and expect an MS25 string.

#143 bmonster007

bmonster007

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 20 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:50 PM

I have a MS25 drive, but when I updated to 1.2 I did the following.

Took a stock MS28 FW, and copied my key onto it with fwtoolbox.

Used ixtreme tool to create hacked firmware, no problems here as it accepted it as MS28 with my key.

Manually flashed my drive with mtkflash, and have had no problems since.

I would think its easier for M$ to spot a spoofed drive, than one that wasn't, so that why I decided to go with this option.

Regards and Respect.

#144 ProdigyXP

ProdigyXP

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Zak. It's appreciated! I actually upgraded to ixtreme v1.2 last night, and chose "No", so I should be set for a while. I'm still at kernal v1888, so I guess I could potentially get E66 when I can bring myself to actually update my kernal beyond an expoitable one. I know the day I do it, there will be some earth-shattering homebrew breakthrough. biggrin.gif

Thanks again guys.

#145 mickey797

mickey797

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE(OriginalCompGeek @ Jun 13 2007, 02:37 AM) View Post

Updated to 1.2 no problems, only one additional non-working backup, and it was already suspect.

I have my ms25 flashed to xtreme 5.2 fw. Do I need to flash it back to the Original first before upgrading to ixtreme1.2 or Can I just upgrade it from where it's at?

Thanks.

#146 ProdigyXP

ProdigyXP

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:46 PM

You don't need to flash the original firmware back in order to upgrade to the latest.

#147 GoRdiE

GoRdiE

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE(sosotiit @ Jun 13 2007, 01:22 AM) View Post

not 100% sure I am following you man,

1) you if you can rip game with 1.2, the answer is no. you need to flash back to 5.3 or get a Kreon drive in you pc (shd162c or shd163a)

2)do you mean if the new firmware is safe?, if so , yes it really looks good based on what MS is checking for now. What is the guarantee for the future, none as they can strat checking something different eventually.
Note that this is a hobby, and must remain just that. No one should put itself in a position where losing its console is not an acceptable outcome you are willing to live with if it comes to that. Just the Fun of hacking biggrin.gif

-soso

Ok thank you soso

1/ I will buy undoubtedly a Kreon.

2/ I am sure of the firm of commodore4eva (thank you for everything c4eva) and have been updating it as it was available. My question was with regard to the backups but already you have answered me in the point 1

Thanks a lot. rolleyes.gif

#148 AirGibson

AirGibson

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE(ZakMcRofl @ Jun 13 2007, 07:35 AM) View Post

The correct choice is "no". Both AirGibson and Irized (plus myself) recommend it.
IIRC the question asked is something like: "mismatch detected, would you like to copy driveid from orig.bin".

If you have an MS25 drive your orig.bin will be MS25, the mismatch will be due to the fact that Ixtreme is MS28. Therefore, if you select 'no', the driveid will remain MS28 even if you originally had an MS25.

The confusion comes from the different usage of the term "spoof".
Is a MS25 drive flashed to MS28 a spoof (it isn't, its updated to MS28).
Is a MS25 drive flashed to MS28 but reporting as MS25 a spoof (yes it is, it claims to be a different version then it actually is).
Its important to remember that the drives are identical.

In conclusion: the ONLY reason to ever select 'YES' is if you tried 'NO' and got E66. This means your console is married with the drive version and expect an MS25 string.
Put simply:
You do not want your drive with iXtreme firmware to report as a MS25 unless necessary.

Edited by AirGibson, 13 June 2007 - 02:08 PM.

#149 C.K

C.K

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:29 PM

Ok guys, just a quick question.

I flashed my SammyMS28 drive, with iXtreme1.2. Seems to have gone well so far. But when I turn on the console, the xbox 360 logo screen stays on for longer than usual? Is this okay? Or does it mean something or...

Any help would be aprichiated!

Thanks

#150 TIME2PLAYDAGAME

TIME2PLAYDAGAME

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE(C.K @ Jun 13 2007, 11:05 AM) View Post

Ok guys, just a quick question.

I flashed my SammyMS28 drive, with iXtreme1.2. Seems to have gone well so far. But when I turn on the console, the xbox 360 logo screen stays on for longer than usual? Is this okay? Or does it mean something or...

Any help would be aprichiated!

Thanks
I've noticed the box takes a lil longer to boot up, but i don't think it's fw related. I noticed this right after the spring update huh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users