#1 jakefell

jakefell

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 June 2007 - 07:15 PM

My school has a denford micro router ( a CAD or cnc machine), my teacher is pretty cool i think he would let me use it to cut a crazy design out of a 360 case, the thing is I need the 360 case in 3D format. does anyone have it. If they did I would apriecate (spelling?) it alot

thanks smile.gif

#2 Boiker

Boiker

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 June 2007 - 07:24 PM

For a CNC router you shouldn't need the case layout itself, just the design you want to cut into the case. Just make sure you get the dimensions correct and you position the design on computer in the correct place so it will cut in the correct place. You should have no problem.

I did the same with our CNC laser cutter we have at college smile.gif

#3 jakefell

jakefell

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 07:26 PM

woah speedy reply thanks , I guess

what about the curves id like to fill it to the edges, i was wondering if someone lese had all ready drawn it up it would save me doing it

#4 deadparrot

deadparrot

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 17 June 2007 - 07:28 PM

Yeah. You just need to know the dimensions of the case side as if it were a rectangular prism (3d rectangle), then set the cutting depth based on the curve in the top of the case. The machine won't care. You may have to enter a false height to get it to cut deep enough though.

#5 jakefell

jakefell

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 07:33 PM

Ok thanks smile.gif

#6 Dyer13

Dyer13

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 17 June 2007 - 07:34 PM

Make sure you test it on a similar piece of plastic to get the speeds and feed rates right. If you want to bevel the edges, it may be easier just to use a file by hand. If not, you will need to manually draw the xbox 360 in 3d to get the depths right for the cnc machine to cut the on the curve, and not just cut a theoretical box. Also, depending on the design you are going with, if you set it up to cut a box, the image/design will be distorted (stretched or compressed) on the curved surface of the 360. Good Luck. wink.gif

#7 Boiker

Boiker

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 18 June 2007 - 10:22 AM

Yeah definately do lots of tests pieces until everything is exactly how you want it to be before using your case. The depth of cutting shouldn't matter as far as I know. The curves you are talking about; are these the curves that appear towards the back of the case where the AV and power plugs in? Where, if the case was horizontal, the flat part begins to curve until at 90 degrees? I don't think the CNC router would have a problem with that, just set it to cut against the machine bed all the time and it will cut into the curves. As most of the case is flat and the curve is relatively small, I would say that the image won't be distorted at all.

Or if you mean the curve going across the console (when horizontal) just measure the top, bottom and middle dimensions and make your deisgn fit in between that smile.gif

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users