PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:54 PM

Sony Sizes Up Xbox Live
Posted by XanTium | 18-6-2007 9:54 EST

From next-gen.biz:

Eric Lempel, director of PlayStation Network operations, has said that the company may one day charge for PSN. He also feels PSN and Xbox Live are currently operating on a roughly level playing field and reveals improvements to the service currently in development.

"I like how their marketplace is integrated directly into their user interface....Talking across games is fantastic. That definitely builds momentum for games and actually migrate users to other games and keeps you in touch with your gaming community.
"We're working on an achievements system... I can't say if it's definitely tied to a gamerscore or something like Xbox does but that is an important feature.

"We're definitely going towards this one unified community. PlayStation Network doesn't mean PS3, it extends to the PSP, it will extend to the PSP (we think he meant PS2). That's something you'll see in the future. There's a lot more coming."

Full Story: next-gen.biz | gametrailers.com

#2 lando786

lando786

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:26 PM

hope they dont charge couldnt find anywhere in the article where he said they might which is good news

#3 slimgrip

slimgrip

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Interests:NorthWest UK's Premiere 360 Modding Service
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:28 PM

They need to sell a few units before they even think about charging for PSN.

Store shelves are full of PS3 here in UK. Sounds like theyre jealous of M$ stranglehold on online gaming though. dry.gif

#4 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:04 PM

If Sony can deliver a level of service equivalent to Xbox Live... then it will be well worth paying for it...

The Playstation Network is currently missing a lot of the features that I've come to expect and demand from an online service. XBL has spoiled me... if they were to add in those kinds of features (the ones discussed in the article) it would be well worth putting up the cash to have them.

#5 mlmadmax

mlmadmax

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:40 PM

Roughly level my giant swingin ball sac.

Sony has a long way to go to get anywear near what live is right now. They might be able to catch up but it will take some time and a lot of money. Also when they start charging it better be 1000 times better than it is right now.

Edited by mlmadmax, 18 June 2007 - 04:41 PM.

#6 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,996 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:02 PM

It would be nice if Sony and MS worked together so we don't have to pay 100 a year to play people online.

However that would never happen so I hope Sony does something cool like maybe offer it for half the price of MS's services?

#7 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE(bucko @ Jun 18 2007, 12:38 PM) View Post

It would be nice if Sony and MS worked together so we don't have to pay 100 a year to play people online.

If Sony decided to support XBL meaning I could use my account on a PS3 and it had achievements a games played list and the whole bit... I would buy a PS3 today.

you're right that it would never happen though. sleep.gif

#8 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:56 PM

Sony has a long way to go to get anywear near what live is right now.

You would have to compare like for like as it stands which would be the Silver (Free service) of XBL at the moment.
I would certainly pay for a service on a par with the gold service of XBL which it is obviously not at the moment. For a free service it is not too bad really.

#9 Thraxen

Thraxen

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:07 AM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jun 18 2007, 12:55 PM) View Post

If Sony decided to support XBL meaning I could use my account on a PS3 and it had achievements a games played list and the whole bit... I would buy a PS3 today.

you're right that it would never happen though. sleep.gif

A pipe dream indeed... but that would be awesome. Maybe a system where each was $40 individually, but a unified subscription was like $65. Think of the gamerscore whores!! It would kill them that suddenly multi-console owners could raise their gamerscores using games on two systems. They would all rush out and buy a PS3 instantly (and vice versa I'm sure).

But, again, this will never happen sad.gif It's fun to to dream about though.

Edited by Thraxen, 19 June 2007 - 03:08 AM.

#10 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE(Chancer @ Jun 18 2007, 02:32 PM) View Post

You would have to compare like for like as it stands which would be the Silver (Free service) of XBL at the moment.
I would certainly pay for a service on a par with the gold service of XBL which it is obviously not at the moment. For a free service it is not too bad really.

I think the thing that makes XBL (silver or Gold) a cut above whatever else isn't so much the features or quality of the service but the integration with the console and the standardization across all games.

It's hard to tell where Xbox Live Ends and the Dashboard begins and that's a good thing because it makes it more then just a tacked on service but a part of the console itself.

Standardization across all games means that no matter what you throw in the console you already know how to use the interface you know you can access your friends you know the game offers achievements, you know how to access the achievements, you know how to check other players stats... All before you even put the disc in the drive.

On the Xbox 1 the Live service felt very tacked on... in the dashboard it was like a separate program you launched... in games you had to learn a completely new interface for each game you played because each developer interpreted it differently, used different verbiage, different controls, and different layouts. Whether you had access to your stats, to other players, or to your friends was a big question mark and inconsistent from game to game.

Xbox Live on the Xbox 1 was OK, but it wasn't great. the Quality of the service is what really made it worth while but the integration of the online service integrated with the dashboard and consistent across all games is IMO what makes the 360 a next gen console, more-so then HD graphics and wireless controllers.

Someone at Sony was quoted as saying that MS is going after the PS2 in terms of it's games and features... in many respects that is true, but I also think that in many ways the PS3 is also going after the Xbox 1 particularly in terms of it's online service.

It will be difficult for Sony to reproduce the kind of consistency and integration that the 360 has because MS figured it all out last gen and then had the system built and ready to go at the 360's launch...

Even if Sony starts requiring developers to meet Playstation Network standards for consistency and integration they've already got a small and ever-growing library of games that don't meet those standards and wont work with the integration. Some of the changes that would need to be made would be fundamental to the OS and how games communicate with the console.

It will likely take Sony and Nintendo this whole generation to catch up to where MS is now with their online service, it's clear that Sony is at least moving much faster than Nintendo towards this goal But it's important to note that Sega spent 3 generations with online services and never really got it right and MS pretty much picked up where they left off. The PS2's networks could be compared to what was offered on the Dreamcast and as I said the PS3's network is more similar to what we had on the Xbox 1 then what we have on the 360.

I'm sure the PS4 will have service on the level of the 360... but what will MS have at that point?

#11 Thraxen

Thraxen

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:43 AM

Yeah, I agree with your assessment, Twisted. Having both I can say from first hand experience that PSN is a long way from Live. It's mostly the standardization as you said. Sure, the PS3 has a friends list, but it doesn't extend to all the games. What annoys me is that you will get a notification when a friend comes online (even during a game, like Live), but since you can't access the XMB during gameplay, you can't actually see what they are doing or message them without exiting your current game. I also don't like the fact that you can't send voice messages. You can set up a voice chat, but no voice messages. All this is so seamless on Live. But I do have hope that with the introduction of Home that much of this will begin to change.

Edited by Thraxen, 20 June 2007 - 05:43 AM.

#12 Kr0n1k

Kr0n1k

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:10 AM

It is kinda funny that alot of people from the Xbox community continued to tell prospective PS3 owners that PSN wouldn't be anything close to Live. And now Sony wants to implement some of these ideas, and one of those ideas is charging for it. Honestly, with all the money spent on Live accounts and across the Marketplace, MS can probably afford a billon dollars in recalls on the system. Sony wants that badly. The easier it is to buy something, the more likely consumers you'll have. The intergration on Live is very seamless. If a new map pack comes out for R6 Vegas, its advertised right on the main Live blade. Even if I miss that, I try to join a game without said map pack, the blade instantly interrupts and asks if I would like to purchase this map pack. Uh... yea, yea I do. $10 to MS. I personally think its great. People don't like to pay for things that increase the replay value of a game for some reason, and thats fine, but there are more of me than them, and eventually, they'll want to play on my server on the new maps. Bill isn't the second richest man in the world for nothing. In the long run, the money does add up, and that is what Sony is after, which is why he mentions this service will be available on PSP and PS2 also. Free is fine, but I like the quality that $50 a year affords me. Kudos to Sony, my future purchase of a PS3 is looking brighter and brighter.

Edited by Kr0n1k, 08 July 2007 - 05:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users