X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:modding and hacking
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:47 AM

On V1.6 Xbox is it easier and more reliable to use the supplied LPC rebuild board OR the wire install from the pinheader, like the way the Xenium Gold is installed?

Has the LPC rebuild board really revolutionised doing a mod chip install on a V1.6 Xbox? It must be the most popular way to go as most chips now come with a LPC rebuild board.

It would appear that it would be just as easy to pull off the solder points when using the LPC rebuild board as it would be when doing a wire install. At least with a straight wire install you have more vision and no rebuild board to get in the way.

Also, I am not sure, when using the LPC rebuild board, if the six lower pins from the pin header (pins 8,9,10,11 & 12) need only be soldered to the LPC rebuild board and NOT the Xbox main board as well.

It would be very difficult to solder these six pins to BOTH the LPC rebuild board AND the Xbox main board, with the LPC rebuild board in the way.

I presume you need to solder ONLY the LPC rebuild board to the lower six pins as all the power conections that used to run to these pins via the main board (on previous Xbox versions) now go through the PCB rebuild board to these lower six pins. unsure.gif

#2 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,996 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:48 PM

It's difficult so my Dad found the LPC rebuild but it's a lot cleaner and more secure method imho. Mod Chip makers only ship the LPC rebuild board for free because it costs next to nothing to make.

#3 mal33

mal33

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:03 PM

Bucko, thanks for the reply, for some reason I have only just noticed it. I had presumed that my question was so dumb that no one wanted to answer. I appreciate your answer.

I presume that you are saying that:

(1) the LPC rebuild is difficult. I think it is very diffult as some of those solder points are very very fine and the smallest ones are partially covered with green solder mask.

(2) the rebuild board makes a much cleaner job. You do not have do the tedious job of cutting, stripping and soldering those very fine wires and have an increased chance of dry joints.

The main problems that I see with the rebuild board are:

(a) The points on the rebuild board and the points on the mother board may not correspond well.

(cool.gif AlthoughIt is very hard to do a nice clean wire install, if there is a faulty connection with the rebuild board, it would be difficult to remove the rebuild board from the xbox mother board to find the faulty connection. Do you agree?

The smartxx manufacturers must have less complaints from modders using the rebuild board, otherwise they would save themselves the cost of supplying it.

I would like to hear your response to my ramblings.

#4 mal33

mal33

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:05 PM

Bucko,
I followed your thread of 3rd July. Did a wire rebuild of the LPC. It was, as your father found, tough but I feel I now have a cleaner and hopefully more reliable rebuild.

Thank you again for your help

#5 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,996 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 15 August 2007 - 12:42 PM

Nice, glad to hear it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic