Photo

How soon will sales of Wii pass the Xbox 360?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Xbox-Scene

Xbox-Scene

Memba Numero Uno

• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:21 AM

How soon will sales of Wii pass the Xbox 360?
Posted by XanTium | June 20 23:21 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From guardian.co.uk:

Within a few months, and certainly before Christmas, judging by two separate sources which have been keeping tabs on sales (as opposed to distribution) of the latest generation of consoles since the Xbox 360 came on the scene around Christmas 2005. So far, according to nexgenwars.com, the Xbox 360 has sold around 11m units, while the Wii has sold 7.7m and the Sony PlayStation 3 (launched at about the same time as the Wii) just 3.3m.

A separate tab is being kept at VGChartz.com, which has a different set of numbers - 10m for the Xbox 360, 8.17m for the Wii and 3.42m for the PS3. But the variations in figures are within the sorts of tolerance limits that makes it clear that while the Xbox 360 is performing modestly, the Wii is still flying off the shelves while the PS3 sits rather lumpenly upon them. That too comes while Nintendo is still struggling to meet demand: supplies go as soon as they reach shops, suggesting that the line on the graph above will take off even more quickly once Nintendo's suppliers can ramp up their output.

Full Story: guardian.co.uk

#2 dava_bran

dava_bran

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:xbox, drinking, beating off, smoking, and sleeping. (note these are in no peticular order).
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:07 AM

wii is fun, but is a novelty console. My roomate hasn't touched his after VC games became boring and no real wii games....er fun wii games came out. As for me the wii controller hype ran out for me a long time ago. As Hitler would say "Fu*k the fu*king bowling game"

#3 PerfectGun

PerfectGun

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:09 AM

I'm sorry but when your using VGAChartz and Nextgenwars as your sources I have to question the numbers.

But there seems to be little doubt that the Wii is flying off the shelves. Nintendo has tapped into something with it's system.. I don't know if it's because the DS Lite is so popluar and has spilled over to the Wii, or if it's price. I consider myself a more "hardcore gamer" Mario, Zelda, etc does not appeal to me and neither does flapping my arms around in front of the TV. I can't imagine living in a world were devs/publishers are catoring to the Wii crowd because it has the largest fan base. A million Mario games, Cooking Sims, pet sims and guys that look like girls jumping around in green tights. There is no push to use the latest and greatest tech, after playing games in HD I can't even stand playing games that aren't.. I seem to be in the minority I guess.

#4 dvsone

dvsone

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:14 AM

I would guess 3 to 4 months. Nintendo is ramping up production and sales are very strong in all regions.

#5 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:21 AM

I think Nintendo did a good job in the fact that they are still hard to find in quantities (or at all in my case), and when someone walks into a store and sees one, they grab it because they have a "they are rare, not many people have them" logic.

maybe that, maybe the price point, maybe the fact that its Nintendo.. who knows. i know once i have the chance, ill grab one for myself since i gave my launch console to my niece last christmas.

id like to see the figures of the age demographics as far as console purchases.

Edited by ILLusions0fGrander, 21 June 2007 - 04:21 AM.

#6 commandersafi

commandersafi

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:30 AM

I think the reason the wii is selling alot is because it is basically a fun factor.
The wii is fun for people of all ages...Kids like to play it, and adults like playing also. The wii is the only console my mom or dad actually have fun playing

#7 kermit007

kermit007

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:56 AM

Go Nintendo I say. The Wii is about as much of a gimmic as the DS, which they still can't keep stocked in Japan.

#8 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:02 AM

I had a Wii for 2 weeks then sold it on ebay. I got bored fast.

I bought about 10+ of them and sold them on ebay and made some good profits. I had bought one I seen on the shelve at Walmart and I couldnt sell it to make a profit, so I returned it and Walmart gave me a hard time trying to say it was like a computer because it can go online and is considered a PC. I argued and eventually won. Cuz it was after some 15 days or something. The system was new and not even opened and they gave me shit.

I see the Wii just being hyped now and the console will slowly decline in sales as summer comes around. I think alot of it is because the Wii is targeted mostly at young kids, yes I know you say its targeted at all ages, but nintendo always aims at kids. Also the price point makes it more affordable with middle class families. I believe if there is really a 360 price cut, Wii sales will drop.

The Wii almost seems like a fad or something. I hear people letting them sit and rot because they got bored of the repetative gameplay. It doesnt even simulate real movements all to much. I found one for my stepdads friend for xmas for his kids and she told me her kids hardly touch it now.

As for the PS3. It has 2 problems, not enough games and $$$$$$$$. End of story

Edited by BoNg420, 21 June 2007 - 05:03 AM.

#9 itchy

itchy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:06 AM

I bet the wii mod chip helped boost its sales as well.

#10 Jagosix

Jagosix

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:18 AM

QUOTE(itchy @ Jun 21 2007, 04:42 AM) View Post

I bet the wii mod chip helped boost its sales as well.

Hello Fellow Gamers. The MOd Chips out for the Wii are very ez to install. Nintendo has done really nothing to stop people from installing these chips. But just think what'll happen when the price drops on the Wii to about $150. They will go very fast but so will the modchips for them. With a modchip installed, you can play dvd movies, copied Wii/GC games, & homebrew/emulation.

Everyday more & more people are finding out about the MOdchips for the Wii & buying them as fast as the system itself.

#11 The Zep Man

The Zep Man

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:07 AM

QUOTE(Jagosix @ Jun 21 2007, 07:54 AM) View Post

With a modchip installed, you can play dvd movies, copied Wii/GC games, & homebrew/emulation.

Everyday more & more people are finding out about the MOdchips for the Wii & buying them as fast as the system itself.
Who cares? I am not a pirate (like 'some' people on any console scene) and Wii homebrew still doesn't work. Gamecube homebrew perhaps, but I would not buy a Wii for just that.

#12 dave111223

dave111223

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Xbox, challenging myself
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:04 AM

I wonder why MS don't come out with a similar type (optional) control system to compete?

#13 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Modding... video games... eating... sleeping... computers... and those things we call women.

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:51 AM

I got a Wii the first day.

Don't even think I've played it 10 times since.

My 360 on the other hand...mmm.. love.gif

I'm sure by Christmas..Wiis will have passed 360s in sales.

#14 gordita37

gordita37

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Interests:KoRn

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:58 AM

If you ask me, its because it has the "next-gen" tag and is cheap. I also see people everywhere saying that wii does HD just like 360. Too bad they haven't seen the glory of 720p compared to 480p. *I'm still shocked that the wii doesn't support it*

also a side note, super smash bros better make up for all the crappy games out for it so far.

#15 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE(sicknasty413 @ Jun 21 2007, 10:27 AM) View Post

I got a Wii the first day.

Don't even think I've played it 10 times since.

My 360 on the other hand...mmm.. love.gif

I'm sure by Christmas..Wiis will have passed 360s in sales.

filthy liar, you don't get a perfect game in bowling by playing it less than 10 times.

one the resi games come out i'll play my wii a whole lot more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users