#1 yn0t

yn0t

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:20 AM

Ok, I know I can't be the only Star Trek fan around here. Wouldn't a Star Trek based skin that makes XBMC look like you're using a computer terminal on a Federation star ship just be cool! I know I'd use it! smile.gif

P.S. If I am the only Star Trek fan... well... this message may be discarded. wink.gif

#2 elitegamer360

elitegamer360

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE(yn0t @ Jun 22 2007, 10:56 AM) View Post

Ok, I know I can't be the only Star Trek fan around here. Wouldn't a Star Trek based skin that makes XBMC look like you're using a computer terminal on a Federation star ship just be cool! I know I'd use it! smile.gif

P.S. If I am the only Star Trek fan... well... this message may be discarded. wink.gif

you're not the only one biggrin.gif , the thing that most of the skin devs are busy with other skins but some one might make your dream come true smile.gif

Edited by elitegamer360, 22 June 2007 - 10:36 AM.

#3 nuka1195

nuka1195

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:54 PM

LCARS, yes smile.gif

#4 yn0t

yn0t

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE(elitegamer360 @ Jun 22 2007, 11:12 AM) View Post

you're not the only one biggrin.gif , the thing that most of the skin devs are busy with other skins but some one might make your dream come true smile.gif

I hope so man! Man, that would be sure to impress the ladies! Well, maybe not... But I would think it would be cool!

#5 ScrewinGates

ScrewinGates

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:12 AM

i think if you meen"cool",your talking about star wars not star trek tongue.gif

#6 yn0t

yn0t

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE(ScrewinGates @ Jun 25 2007, 05:48 AM) View Post

i think if you meen"cool",your talking about star wars not star trek tongue.gif

lol. Nope, I'm not one of those people who think Star Trek and Star Wars are the same show. smile.gif

I understand that the Skin Devs are busy, this is mainly the reason I was hesitant to post a suggestion. They've done such an amazing job already. I just thought that I would throw it out there and perhaps someone looking for a project to work on could be inspired.... Kinda like winning the lottery!

I've also thought that I maybe I'd give it a try. I, like the Skin Devs, are also busy with other projects. I just built my own homemade telescope (http://gstrike[dot]blogspot[dot]com). There are far better people for the job than myself. I have the technical aspect down but the I can struggle artistically sometimes. But I've also surprised myself in that area before.

So who knows, we'll see what happens.

#7 NineT9mustang

NineT9mustang

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:21 PM

Creating an entire skin based on Star Trek would be quiet a project, I dont see anyone doing it anytime soon...

BUT

Theres always themes biggrin.gif Itd be a lot easier grabbing one of the great skins out there, and redoing the images with Star Trek stuff

That should atleast keep ya somewhat satisfied until a whole new skin is out for it smile.gif

#8 threequarters

threequarters

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:55 PM

Well you wouldn't really need Star Trek images if you went with the cool LCARS theme, like nuka suggested. And to make that even easier, one could go to the very cool LCARS website, http://www.lcarscom.net/ and download all the sounds and see it in action although it would have to look a little cooler than the site (shouldn't be a problem in the right creative hands). I have no skinning skill, otherwise would attempt it myself.
Personally i'm more of a Star Wars fan, but stylistically Star Trek wins the battle with the cool 60s 70s space designs and yes, LCARS computer interface. Perfect for an XBMC skin.

Anyway check out the site, it is pretty cool.

#9 yn0t

yn0t

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:16 PM

Yeah, I've actually been out there and a couple other sites for a couple days now. I found a site that is setting an LCARS standard based on what has appeared on show (http://www.lcarsdeveloper.com/). This would probably be a good place to refer to if we were to go for authenticity. Which I believe would be important.

I think using Star Trek graphics would be pretty cheesy, honestly. The hope of the idea is to emulate, as closely as time permits, an LCARS interface. Rather than putting Star Fleet logos in front of every button or an icon of the Enterprise for folders icons. That would just be DUMB! smile.gif Sorry if I wasn't clear before that the idea was for an LCARS interface skin.

I messed around a little bit last night changing some of the sounds in the Project Mayhem III skin. If you closed your eyes it sounded pretty darn close! I wonder if there is a way to randomize some of the sounds so that you can use a list of sounds for a specific event. Listening to the same LCARS beep every time you move the cursor is a little repetitive. I believe in the show the tone changes as they push other buttons but I'll listen a little more closely tonight as I watch some Voyager episiodes to get it as close as possible.

yn0t

Edited by yn0t, 26 June 2007 - 06:17 PM.

#10 NineT9mustang

NineT9mustang

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:53 PM

Ahhh I see what your saying now, thought it was more 'Star Trek' themed, not the 'LCARS' interface! I quickly read over this thread and thought Id offer some idea's/help but guess I didn't read it good enough so ignore everything ive said so far! my bad: D

#11 yn0t

yn0t

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 04:03 PM

I started working on some graphics now for the LCARS interface. So far so good, when I get a little more done I'll post some screenshots if anyone is interested. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Also, I was thinking of turning this into an official project in hopes to draw on skills and creativity beyond what I may be able to provide. If it's just me working on it, it'll probably turn out ok but if I could recruit some people that would be interested in helping I think it could turn out really freakin' cool!

I'd really love to hear from you if you're interested!

#12 threequarters

threequarters

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 03:47 PM

cool. Looking forward to it, yn0t.

#13 elitegamer360

elitegamer360

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:14 AM

Great yn0t I'll be waiting 4 some sreens as well.
thnx

#14 timdog82001

timdog82001

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:30 AM

lol this is too cool. hahaha. How well do you think the interface can be duplicated? Could ongoing animations be duplicated like they have on the site, with the various lists scrolling and the things popping up like the sickbay monitor thingamajig? Or would it have to be more or less static, aside from when you go into different menus and stuff of course? I've done a fair share of coding, but not a ton with animations as of yet. I could help with the coding part probably, though I can't guarantee a lot of time invested. Do you suppose they'd let you use their audio for the woman's voice if you asked them nicely? haha

QUOTE(yn0t @ Jun 26 2007, 10:52 AM) View Post

Yeah, I've actually been out there and a couple other sites for a couple days now. I found a site that is setting an LCARS standard based on what has appeared on show (http://www.lcarsdeveloper.com/). This would probably be a good place to refer to if we were to go for authenticity. Which I believe would be important.

I think using Star Trek graphics would be pretty cheesy, honestly. The hope of the idea is to emulate, as closely as time permits, an LCARS interface. Rather than putting Star Fleet logos in front of every button or an icon of the Enterprise for folders icons. That would just be DUMB! smile.gif Sorry if I wasn't clear before that the idea was for an LCARS interface skin.

I messed around a little bit last night changing some of the sounds in the Project Mayhem III skin. If you closed your eyes it sounded pretty darn close! I wonder if there is a way to randomize some of the sounds so that you can use a list of sounds for a specific event. Listening to the same LCARS beep every time you move the cursor is a little repetitive. I believe in the show the tone changes as they push other buttons but I'll listen a little more closely tonight as I watch some Voyager episiodes to get it as close as possible.

yn0t

about the navigation sounds, I don't think thats possible. The audio functions are super limited, somebody really needs to update xbmc for a bit more functionality and customization in that area. If only I knew how *sigh* Then again, there's always the feature request forum on www.xboxmediacenter.com

#15 yn0t

yn0t

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:38 PM

I feel pretty good that the feel of LCARS could be duplicated. Again, I think it'll take more than myself to do it as my artistic skills are limited. There may be certain limitations in XBMC that may affect us. For instance, How versatile is XBMC's menu system, is it possible to have animations play on a menu? Some animated effects of the LCARS interface could be pretty cool.

As for adding the woman's voice, I'm not sure that it is necassary. I'm trying to remember the last time I saw someone use a panel and the woman's voice came on. I think it only comes on when people are using the computer verbally. But let's hear other people's thoughts on this.

Also, I'm looking into how to share the skin code and allow other people to work on it. I imagine SVN is the best method for this. How are other skinning projects going about this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users