X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:51 AM

***Admins, please add "Call of Juarez" to the specific game chat.****

We all know that when you buy a shooter you occasionally............oh I dunno, intentionally kill innocent bystanders..........because it's damn fun. smile.gif

I decided I needed a new game so I ran to Walmart to purchase "Call of Juarez," a western shooter made by Ubisoft. I dunno why, but I'm a sucker for these mediocre western games. I'm not a huge fan of western movies or books with few exceptions like "Tombstone" etc., but probably because it's a way to experience the Wild West barring any form of reality or historical accuracy. laugh.gif

Anyway, I enjoyed "GUN" as bad as it was and "Call of Juarez" had a much better rating so I purchased it. So I started going through the tutorial and the game isn't really just a run and gun and has a "stealth/sneak" approach to a lot of the game.

Your first "Mission" is to steal a gun from this guys barn while he is working in front of it, so you sneak past him, get the gun, but then the guy yells at you for being on his property..........so naturally I draw the pistol and hit the trigger only to have a screen come up that says something to the effect of "Harming innocent citizens, horses, or corpses, will NOT be tolerated in this game and it will restart" WTF!?!?! blink.gif ..........and why not abuse corpses? They have already been abused with death and carnage.

So I continue and reach a town and go into a bar and this guy playing poker screams "What are you looking at?." So naturally I want to splatter his brains all over the wall and draw my pistol and I get the same message again. So then I just start wandering around and the bar keeper was looking all fat and stupid, and I know I can't shoot him rolleyes.gif , so I pick up a whiskey bottle off the bar and smash him in the face. I get the same warning and now like any other gamer I want to test my limits so I pick up the bottle again and smash him in the face again and it gives me a "Failed Mission" status and restarts to my last save point.

What is this world coming to? Can I no longer have the fictional fun of killing innocent people in the wild west? What kind of pussy wild west is this? In "GUN" you could shoot peoples dogs and murder whole towns.

Damn the politically correct world, damn it to hell. grr.gif

So I'm wondering if this is the future of "violent" gaming? Was this an ESRB move, a Microsoft new requirement (based on thier recent move to ban AO rated games and Manhunt 2 from the console), or a decision by Ubisoft? What about GTA4? :think:

It's got a damn "M" rating and I'm an adult and if I want to kill everyone for any reason in a virtual wild west I should have that ability, this kinder gentler violent gaming is complete garbage. grr.gif

Edited by FCTE, 24 June 2007 - 07:04 AM.

#2 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 June 2007 - 01:35 PM

half the time i feel bad harming innocents blink.gif

but if they are cheeky, well i want to pop them

#3 FCTE

FCTE

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE(grim_d @ Jun 24 2007, 08:11 AM) View Post

half the time i feel bad harming innocents blink.gif

but if they are cheeky, well i want to pop them

Why? They back talk you and this is wild west. What about GTA? You never set a whole crowd of people on fire with the flamethrower or mowed down tons of cops and it felt great? That's the fun of virtual violence. tongue.gif

I just think it is kind of lame to prohibit it, that's the first time I've seen it in a game. Prohibiting TKing I can see, but not random innocent people, certainly not animals or corpses.

The game still seems pretty good, graphics are amazing, I don't like the sneak/stealth stuff that much, wish it was run and gun.

I always thought "cheeky" was a positive term? uhh.gif

#4 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE(FCTE @ Jun 24 2007, 04:07 PM) View Post

Why? They back talk you and this is wild west. What about GTA? You never set a whole crowd of people on fire with the flamethrower or mowed down tons of cops and it felt great? That's the fun of virtual violence. tongue.gif

I always thought "cheeky" was a positive term? uhh.gif

of course i have, when i'm just messing around it's always fun, but when im acctually playing i don;t like killing them, just like i always take the "good" path if there is one. Then go back later and do the evil one.

and cheeky, well, i guess it depends where your from, it can be good or bad here.

#5 hamwbone

hamwbone

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:01 AM

What a crock of shit. I wont be buying that game any time soon... Maybe a rental. What you need is some Crackdown in the upgraded super car. Just hit about 200 mph on the street then hop on the sidewalk, that oughtta cheer you up!

#6 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE(hamwbone @ Jun 26 2007, 11:37 AM) View Post

What a crock of shit. I wont be buying that game any time soon... Maybe a rental. What you need is some Crackdown in the upgraded super car. Just hit about 200 mph on the street then hop on the sidewalk, that oughtta cheer you up!

haha yeah that is really fun

#7 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:06 PM

guy yells at you for being on his property..........so naturally I draw the pistol and hit the trigger only to have a screen come up that says something to the effect of "Harming innocent citizens, horses, or corpses, will NOT be tolerated in this game and it will restart"

Now you know what it is like being a Mod laugh.gif laugh.gif

#8 FCTE

FCTE

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 02:21 AM

QUOTE(hamwbone @ Jun 26 2007, 05:37 AM) View Post

It's still a fun game and I enjoy it so far, but that just kind of angered me, mainly because it's rated M, so why water it down with some bogus forced play nice approach? I'm an adult and it's M rated, so let it play like an M rated game or change the rating and tell me you crippled the game with some bogus features. mad.gif

It's suppose to be the WILD West.

I sold Crackdown while buying this game. Crackdown didn't do anything for me, I'll just pull out GTA SA until GTA 4 comes out.

Edited by FCTE, 27 June 2007 - 02:30 AM.

#9 FCTE

FCTE

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE(Chancer @ Jun 26 2007, 08:42 AM) View Post

Now you know what it is like being a Mod laugh.gif laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

#10 M16GANKSTA

M16GANKSTA

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:27 AM

I really really really want to play this game but my local game rental store does not have it unsure.gif UBISOFT is known for having great games like Farcry 2 and the like so I figure this would be a good game. However I'm not ready to jump in and pay 55 bucks for a game that is a buddy tale with no co-op blink.gif and when ROCKSTAR is releasing Red Dead Redemption soon...So for now I will be sitting this one out for a while. However, that doesn't mean I would not love to play this game. Just not ready to pay full price @ this point with no assurances I'm getting my moneys worth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users