• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ausmods

ausmods

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Interests:Electrical engineering, computers, gaming, motorbikes, mountain biking
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:30 AM

Hey all,

I recently bought a PSP off ebay (a bargain cause it had a broken hinge on the UMD door, which was easily fixed) and id like to get some info regarding what i can do with a psp, what i can do when i mod it etc... Im finally entering the PSP scene lol

From my research so far ive determined it has the v3.02 FW, and i cant downgrade that firware. Im looking at buying an Undiluted Platinum chip and installing it...Or is there a FW higher than 3.02 that can be downgraded?

So, what kinda things can you do with a modded PSP? What kind of hopmebrew is there (emulators, media centers, etc...). If theres a guide or something that answers all my questions, that would be great! cool.gif

#2 commandersafi

commandersafi

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 27 June 2007 - 02:43 PM

No, you dont need a chip or anything else, right now you have nothing to worry about. The latest sony firmware that is out (3.50) has been cracked with the lumines exploit that runs on every firmware version

And the downgrader for 3.5 was released today!!!!!!

As for what a modded psp can do. there are emulators, media things, and other homebrew stuff.

My favorite is the emulators, im playing super smash bros. n64 right now, Daedalus (n64 emulator) R12 was just released today also, and runs at a pretty good fps

#3 ausmods

ausmods

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Interests:Electrical engineering, computers, gaming, motorbikes, mountain biking

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:48 AM

No, you dont need a chip or anything else, right now you have nothing to worry about. The latest sony firmware that is out (3.50) has been cracked with the lumines exploit that runs on every firmware version

And the downgrader for 3.5 was released today!!!!!!

Wow, thats lucky lol... so its best if i buy this lumines game and upgrade the FW to 3.5, then downgrade it to whichever firmware thats cracked?

Yeah, ive been reading about the emulators, it would be awesome to play all my fav games from old console like th 64 and SNES, etc...

So what risks are involved? I have heard of quite a few people bricking theyre PSP... how likely is it that ill brcik mine? (I guess it really just comes down to wether i follow everything properly)

Lol, damn that lumines game is quite exepensive... seems everyone wants to get it to downgrade theyre psp..

EDIT: I found an unpateched copy of GTA: LBC on ebay for cheap, so ill do the 3.03 downgrade.

One more question, if i buy a 4gb memory stick, will that work with the older firmware? Or is it better just to get a 2gb stick?

Edited by ausmods, 28 June 2007 - 07:59 AM.

#4 ausmods

ausmods

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:13 AM

OK,, well ive upgraded my PSP to the v3.03 FW, and ive bought an unpatched copy of GTA:LCS.

Is there a site that has all of the latest files to download? Or a site that everyone trusts? (kind of like xbins or something)

#5 commandersafi

commandersafi

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:15 AM

Personally i would have recommended getting luminous instead of a unpatched GTA because the luminous exploit runs on any psp firmware, but if your just going to be modding yours than your set.

as for getting your files, I only go to 2 places. Either go to psphacks.com or pspupdates.com (this one is all about psp stuff, but if you want to go to the place where you actually download the things the link is dl.qj.net)

Dont download anything from any other sites because some people like to be A**holes and upload fake stuff and you end up bricking your psp

EDIT: as for the chances of bricking your psp when doing this are very low as long as you follow the instructions word for word.
Currently since the psp scene has gotten much bigger, the downgraders and custom firmwares have about the same chance of bricking as the official sony updates, so if you just follow instructions nothing bad will happen

Edited by commandersafi, 29 June 2007 - 06:18 AM.

#6 DavidWoth

DavidWoth

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Xbox Modding, Computer's, Game Machine's, Xbox & 360 Games.
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:35 PM

I did this exploit around a year ago use noobz.eu if its still going!! You will get 1.5 which i recomend upgrading that to 3.03Oe-c Which is custom firmware. Which has features of 3.03 but can run homebrew as 1.5. Make sure you read instructions!! good luck!!

#7 ausmods

ausmods

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 10:28 PM

I did this exploit around a year ago use noobz.eu if its still going!! You will get 1.5 which i recomend upgrading that to 3.03Oe-c Which is custom firmware. Which has features of 3.03 but can run homebrew as 1.5. Make sure you read instructions!! good luck!!

OK cool, ill have a look if that site is still going. Also, i think i read the latest custom FW is the 3.40OA E or something like that... Newest is best right? lol

#8 commandersafi

commandersafi

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:09 PM

Yup, the newest is 3.40 OE-A.

I think Dark_alex (guy who makes custom firmwares) is working on a 3.50 OE-A though, but for now 3.40 OE-A is what you want to be at.

As for the newest being the best....it used to be like that because the only way to edit the topmenu_plugin.rco (file that makes the xmb look the way it is) was if you was at 3.03 OE-C or below, but now you can do it on any custom firmware version

#9 ausmods

ausmods

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:54 AM

Alright cool, thanks for that. One more question, What are the best emulators? (Mainly for 64, SNES, NES, Megadrive) Whats the Deadalus emulator like (eg for super smash and Zelda?)

Woot my copy of GTA and 4GB memory stick should be in the mail tommorow!

#10 ausmods

ausmods

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:53 AM

Well, my copy of GTA and my memory stick came in the mail, and ive sucessfully downgraded to 1.50, and upgraded to 3.40 OE-A. I also got a few emulators, and the N64 emulator was a bit of a dissapointment, super smash isnt really playable at that framerate... Its kinda like playing the game moon gravity lol

But, the SNES emulator and Megadrive emulator are great... I can finally finish LoZ: Link to the past! lol Ive been trying to finsh it for the past 6 years lol and now i mite actually get the time to finish it..

#11 YUNG ERIC

YUNG ERIC

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:10 PM

Did you get daedulus R12?? there seems to be a lot of hype around that emulator and I think they actually released an update with better coding for SSB. any way I recommend PSP-hacks for news and downloads and stuff. there awesome.

P.S. check out the XBMC remote interface if you have XBMC on your xbox. it's a great little app.

#12 ausmods

ausmods

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:19 AM

Well, I found the CPU speed setting in the recovery menu, and my psp is running at 333MHz all the time now! lol I even found how to install themes and whatnot... all this psp modding bings me back to how cool it was when i first got into Xbox 1 homebrew...

The CPU speed setting really helped the framerate in a lot of my PSP games (especially GTA: LCS, it was awful with the amount of lag) and it even made Daedalus run faster, Super Smash is reasonably playable, but still a little slow. Thankyou so much Dark_Alex (not that he'll read this, but anyway lol)... me and an awful lot of people owe so much to him lol

Did you get daedulus R12?? there seems to be a lot of hype around that emulator and I think they actually released an update with better coding for SSB. any way I recommend PSP-hacks for news and downloads and stuff. there awesome.

P.S. check out the XBMC remote interface if you have XBMC on your xbox. it's a great little app.

Yeah, I got R12. And im guessing that app makes the PSP act like the xbox media remote? Thats pretty neat! lol

Edited by ausmods, 04 July 2007 - 06:22 AM.

#13 YUNG ERIC

YUNG ERIC

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 04:48 PM

to be honest i havn't fallen in love with any PSP games I just love it for the homebrew apps

#14 ausmods

ausmods

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:57 AM

to be honest i havn't fallen in love with any PSP games I just love it for the homebrew apps

Yeah, the only 2 gaes ive played on the PSP that i like are the GTA games and some of the Need for Speed games... The homebrew is what makes the PSP good though...

#15 commandersafi

commandersafi

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:14 AM

Most psp games arnt that good....I mainly use my PSP for PSX games

but there are a couple of good psp games....such as metal gear solid portable ops., Valhalla Knights if your into RPG's, Dynasty Warriors if your into fighting/ button mashers, and finally Loco Roco if you want something simple but entertaining laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users