• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 chimp7

chimp7

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 03:01 PM

Ok, I'm a noob... this stuff is GREAT!!! I've been researching for about a week and definately want to run XBMC on an XBOX. I'm willing to flash chips/firmwares.

I can't figure out if I should just get any old XBOX and start in on it? There's so much info out there, which dvd drive is best (seems like back in the day it was samsung), which dash, IR mods, best mod chips (any that I need to stay away from? I'd prefer solderless but if I need to solder I will. I also won't be moving the XBOX around much so will solderless be ok). Is modding the cooling really necessary? I just don't know if I should get the newest version 1.6 with the new hardware or stay away from a certain version like the Thomson? Should I spend $20 and get one that needs a new dvd drive?

I keep reading stuff but it seems like it's all from 2004 and when I find newer discussion it's like it's all between people that have been doing it for years and feel like it's over my head.

I guess I'd like to hear some of your guys more recent favorites and briefly why.

THANKS!!!!!!

#2 vide0bug13

vide0bug13

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 June 2007 - 03:21 PM

HI,
+i would recomend an xbox ver 1.0-1.5, 1.6 is not as easy to mod (i have a 1.0 and 1.4)
+sammys are the best drive but is you need to to cd work that you cant do in FTP you can rig up a regular cd drive in case of emergencies.
+you can use XBMC as a dash actually, many people do, but i use avalaunch, the choice is yours(evox is big also)
+the chip i use is a xecuter 2.6 lite and solderless xapter i think i got them together for about $40 USD, works fine
+cooling, its really simple to do, what i did is i put in an 80 mm fan(requires some cutting but its simple),and i cut a window in the back of the HDD tray to suck more air out, with that it runs fine in temps up to about 100 degrees F
+the drive thing is up to you
+ you will probibly want a bigger HDD too...

Edited by vide0bug13, 28 June 2007 - 03:23 PM.

#3 triggernum5

triggernum5

X-S Messiah

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 June 2007 - 05:48 PM

You actually don't need a modchip at all.. Softmodding works on all xboxes, and overwriting the M$ bios on the tsop is an option on 1.0-1.5 (although 1.0-1.1 have a 4x larger chip if you wanted multiple bios banks)..
In my experience, earlier models run at a higher temperature.. Cooling will depend on your room/setup.. Not crucial right away, and most dashboards have temp readouts..
Chips actually hold no advantage unless you want the peripheral attachments like IR/LCD, wish to upgrade your ram, or use insanely large hdds (over 500GB perhaps).. And except for the chip addons, a tsop flash supports the rest..
Before you decide, look into the XBE Exploits, and TSOP forums..

#4 vide0bug13

vide0bug13

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:35 PM

^heh i for got about biggrin.gif that but its easier to upgrade a hdd with a chip

#5 chimp7

chimp7

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:10 AM

Thanks guys!!!

#6 vide0bug13

vide0bug13

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:52 PM

no problem cool.gif feel free to ask anything else

#7 chimp7

chimp7

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:47 AM

Well OK, I got a 1.6 (I guess, it's got the xcallibur chip with samsung mem)... I found one with a Samsung drive and it was a good deal so I bought it, but it ended up being a 1.6, not what I wanted. So I've been searching for the best options for a 1.6 and am still in the same boat as far as finding up to date info. It looks like I can try a softmod but finding a method that people aren't arguing about is hard and I keep reading where everyone says a mod chip is next to impossible on a 1.6.

Whenever I try and search this forum I get an error and saying no matching criteria. So if you guys have any good links, tuts or suggestion I'd be very happy (my eyes hurt, I've been looking around all night for info and now I feel like being lazy and asking the pros). I'd just like something that's I can put a big hard drive in and run xbmc (for my movies and some home vids) for now. Eventually Linux and emulators. I'll probably never use live.

Thanks!!!

#8 boob1966

boob1966

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:02 AM

where everyone says a mod chip is next to impossible on a 1.6.

mate my v1.6 has a modchip (x3ce xecuter) theres a bit more soldering to do with a v1.6 but were you got the info about v1.6 can,t be chiped well!
www.team-xeruter.com

#9 triggernum5

triggernum5

X-S Messiah

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 03:16 PM

Softmodding is simple.. Use one of the packages/methods pinned in the XBE Exploits forum and it will be solid, and there will be alot of ppl there who can help you through any problems since those are the softmods that the softmod pro's are most familliar with..
If you don't access to an exploitable game and mem-card, then you'll have to hotswap (which isn't nearly as risky as laying a soldering iron to the MB in my opinion).. From there, there are packages that autoinstall everything you need.. XBE Exploits forum has tuts complete with pics and all..

#10 chimp7

chimp7

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:00 PM

WORD! I think I'll give softmod a try... I guess I knew it wasn't impossible to chip, it's just the older conversations made it seem harder. Then the newer chips that came out made it easier. I just kept reading were everyone was saying it is a lot more difficult with the 1.6/1.6b.

I'm about to head over to the XBE and try to get it going!

BTW keep hitting me with more info if anyone has more comments.

#11 OmegaDL50

OmegaDL50

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 05 July 2007 - 04:37 AM

I am also getting a chip installed in my 1.6 / 1.6b Xbox this Friday.

Your best bet is to simply read all the tutorials, and read some more. The information maybe outdated since 2004, but remember the fact that the Manufacturing dates for the consoles ended around that time, so there have been no newer original Xbox models coming out.

So you need to consider the information written is up-to-date as it's gonna be in terms that the Xbox IS a last generation console several years old.

Here is some useful information for what I recommend, since I was once in the same boat as you, not knowing from chip to flash to softmod to hardmod, It was all alien until I read up on those tutorials and gave myself a education to understand what exactly I am going to be doing to my console and know exactly what I am getting in the end.

XBMC is also what was the final convincing for me to really push and get my console modded.

Here is are my first recommendations as a prep-to-do before you mod your console.

1) BACK UP THE EEPROM!! AND C: Directory

The eeprom is the a key that registers the Xbox stock drive to the motherboard in a form of "marriage" Meaning the stock drive that comes with the Xbox is married to stock motherboard it comes with due to the bios assigning itself to it. The eeprom.bin is very useful for that when you install a larger hard drive it will be a simpler process...I cannot stress enough how important this is. As I have read many a topic where someone screwed up something on thier Xbox and needing to revert to stock settings and not having the Eeprom make the process much much more difficult.

Backing up your C: Directory ensures that you have a backup of the original M$ Dashboard.

If something goes wrong and you need to revert to the original Dashboard to fix something such as setting the system clock due one of the many number errors. Or needing to set the screen format to NTSC or PAL if your system accidentally changes it's native setting and you can't undo it for some reason.

2) get one of the PC FATX naming utilities here = http://www.xbox-scen...p?page=managers

These will allow you to get your files in the proper naming format. So when you copy any files to your Xbox after you mod it, they won't be rejected by your copying program.

3) get a Xbox File manager. Such as XCommander, BoXplorer, And / Or DVD2Xbox.

If you install XBMC OR another program in the wrong directory, well that is what these tools are useful for.

Also DVD2Xbox allows you to copy your original Xbox games to your HDD to be played directly from the system itself, allowing you to preserve your original DVDs to prevent scratching and wear from extended use.

If anything else comes to mind, I will be sure to add it.

#12 triggernum5

triggernum5

X-S Messiah

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 04:58 AM

No, don't assume older tutorials are current.. That could lead to disaster.. About 99% of tuts out there are outdated/dangerous.. Stick to the pinned topics in the xbe exploits section.. XBMC's ftp server auto-truncates for DATX naming, and has its own file explorer.. Unleashx does too.. The eeprom backup is the only crucial backup.. Installers that are current/quality will atleast backup your c:\.. Gamesave exploits force an eeprom backup as well, but xboxhdm methods occur away from the eeprom, so that needs to be done after

#13 Berzerker92

Berzerker92

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:Modding? paintball, sports.
  • 360 version:none

Posted 05 July 2007 - 04:52 PM

yup try an game save exploit (mechassualt and splinter cell are $2.99) and its almost impossible to screw anything up. if you install a new hard drive use xboxdm, then install the game save exploit again, thats what i did, (i modded it the first time just to get the eeprom)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users