No replies to this topic

#1 SteinOnkel

SteinOnkel

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 07:52 AM

The question you're asking yourselves right now is probably does it work. Well, yes and no. That's the honest truth. I'll be going down the gaming list and letting you know how it works.

Halo 2: Well, Halo2 has a built-in sensitivity adjuster, which is good. The first couple of movements I made on default settings felt very similiar to when a game doesn't run right. I knew it wasn't the 360 lagging, so it had to be the adapter. I cranked the in-game setting up to 9, and the wheels on the adapter about half-way up. More sensitivity is NOT always better. The deadzones were still there, but barely noticable. Honestly, it's not perfect, but after about 20 minutes of getting used to it, I was fragging better than ever with the controller. No more shooting at the ground, no more taking forever to turn around. It's not CS on the pc yet, but it's better than the controller.

Gears Of War: Oh my God, it was like the game was built for this thing! It works perfectly on default settings. The deadzones are just barely noticeable if you concentrate on them, but 90% of the time you will not be able to notice it. The game became 150 times more enjoyable to me instantly. Only downpart is that the turbo triggers are buggy. If you're using a stationed machine gun, it won't shoot. If you're using the turbo button for what is left trigger on the controller, you will jerk in and out of aiming down the site. However, using the turbo function of the right trigger (so LMB), is awesome if you have any burst-fire gun, in Halo2 and Gears of War, simply because with a little bit of practice, it will become fully automatic.

Speaking of turbo triggers, in Halo 2 these work wonders. Your rate of fire when dual-wielding, say, the plasma rifle will easily tripple. With a little bit of practice you can lay down some serious fire without over-heating the gun. Yes, yes, this is also possible with a controller, but it takes more practice than with this.

One thing that sucks is that I could not get the green PS2 port to pick up my old Logitech ball mouse. It may be because it's a 3-button mouse, but it seems odd. I've heard rumors that the adapter works better with old ball mice, but due to the ps2 port not working I haven't been able to try it out. What I also cannot confirm yet is if the Logitech Racing Wheel works with the 360. The Playstation2 wheel has been confirmed to work, but no word on the Logitech one. Mine's sitting in a box somewhere, I'll have to write a follow up to this after I've tried it.

I just got an idea, I should use a PS2-USB converter for my ball mouse. Maybe that'll work better.

That's all the games I've tried so far. I haven't tried the programming either, because the button layout seems to be spot-on and there's not a lot of room for improvement, other than that in Halo2, using the scope and crouching has been bound to the numbers 5 and 6 on the keyboard. Who's brainy idea was that?

Worth it? If you're a die-hard PC shooter, don't expect this to replicate the experience of a PC. If you're like me, and suck horrible with the controller, and can only barely get through single player with one, then this is for you. It takes a little getting used to, and some tweaking (I'm guessing the case of GOW was an exception), so don't just plug it in, fire it up, look around once and throw it away.

Greetz
~Steini

P.S: I used it with a Logitech mouse. I mean standard as can be logitech USB, red laser mouse. I don't know the model name it doesn't say it anywhere on it. I also used an Acer mini-mouse (USB, Laser), but they both performed the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users