gainpresence

11 herbs and spices

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:10 AM

This thread is way too biased for me, every single person against the law is a smoker, and every single person for it doesn't smoke.. pretty pointless imho.

BTW: I also like being able to smoke in bars and restaurants.. And my city has nearly banned even outdoor smoking in public places grr.gif

Edited by gainpresence, 03 July 2007 - 04:11 AM.

#17 gcskate27

gcskate27

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts
  • Interests:video games, prgramming, comps, skateboarding, cooking, taking care of my lizards and dachshund

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:01 AM

actually, i dont smoke... never have...

#18 InvidiousDemise

InvidiousDemise

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:25 PM

Personally i think the world would be a better place without tobacco... but that'll never happen.

#19 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE(gainpresence @ Jul 3 2007, 04:46 AM) View Post

This thread is way too biased for me, every single person against the law is a smoker, and every single person for it doesn't smoke.. pretty pointless imho.

BTW: I also like being able to smoke in bars and restaurants.. And my city has nearly banned even outdoor smoking in public places grr.gif

i am for the law and have been for the past year whilst in been here in scotland and i smoke.

#20 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:35 PM

Well I didn't get a chance to go out on Sunday, but I've arranged to go out tonight to our local village pub, it will be interesting to see if they enforce it.

#21 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:19 PM

what happens when if the owner gets caught smoking in his bar, breaking a law designed to protect him, I am curious to what would happen

#22 Spency234

Spency234

LEAFS NATION

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:47 AM

The law is not to protect the bar owner, it's to protect anybody who does not smoke.

lostboyz, you sound a little bit ignorant about the whole thing. Non-smokers have every right to be able to go out without having to breathe in second hand smoke. This is coming from a guy who doesn't usually smoke but smokes almost every time hr drinks. I just go outside to smoke.

In fact, it even adds to the bar/pub, because there is a scene inside, then when you get sick of that you can go outside and it will be completely different people to talk too and different surroundings. It has been non-smoking in public places here in Ontario, Canada for a while and I love it.

#23 Heet

Heet

X-S Knowledgebase

• 4,965 posts
  • Interests:Pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. Disk space.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:51 AM

Heh, wait until someone gets offended by the beer on your breath. You wont have a pub to go to and then THEY'LL be happy. smile.gif

Isnt that neat? smile.gif

Heh, wait until someone gets offended by the beer on your breath. You wont have a pub to go to and then THEY'LL be happy. smile.gif

Isnt that neat? smile.gif

I love how people get excited when freedoms get taken away.

#24 Spency234

Spency234

LEAFS NATION

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:01 AM

Beer breath doesn't even compare to second hand smoke, can we think about our posts before we hit "Add Reply" please!

#25 ScrewinGates

ScrewinGates

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:07 AM

well im a smoker but i see the point of this law because some people dont smoke.recently my wife and i have had our first child and for her sake im all for it.but...banning smoking at bars kinda sux cause thats part of the whole bar scene(at least where i live)and on the same note i dont like freedoms being taken away ever!im so confused.......

#26 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:34 AM

I realize I sound ignorant, but the law is just sooo dumb. They could enforce better smoking/non smoking regulations for restaurants and the like. If you walked up to anyone on the street and asked them what they expected at a bar they would all say people drinking and smoking. Its what a bar is. I would not however tell an owner that decided to make his place smoke free that it is dumb. I feel that this is just a piece of legislation becoming more and more popular that is just taking freedom of choice away from its citizens. Just wait until there are laws banning other things deemed "annoying" until you are practically giving your rights away so you are no longer annoyed.

To be honest I do smoke and I JUST turned 21 a couple days ago, so yes my views are ignorant and biased but look at the big picture here, it is the government taking away the freedom of choice. Because after you cant smoke in the bar then you cant smoke outside anywhere, you will have to go to your car to smoke. I dont know about the UK or canada but there is a huge amount of money in the economy from either tobacco farming or taxing, that it is impossible to just remove it completely.

When will it soon be illegal to be drunk, because it annoys those patrons that go to the bar to have a drink instead of getting plastered. It all sounds dumb and ignorant but not far-fetched.

#27 gronned

gronned

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:45 PM

We've been free from smoke in public places since june 2005 in Sweden and virtually everyone loves it.
I, as a non-smoker, absolutely love the ban as I can go to the bar and not smell like shit in the hair and clothes when I come home.
Even most smokers liked the ban and many took the opportunity to stop smoking (should be noted very few in Sweden smoke anyway compared to the rest of Europe).

Con the ban:
Smokers rights

Pro the ban:
Not smelling like shit
No soaring eyes
The waiters are not exposed to massive amounts of dangerous second hand smoke
The bar goers are not exposed to dangerous second hand smoke
Several people stop smoking

The only ones really irritated before the ban were the bar owners believing they'd lose costumers, instead they got more costumers.

Never ever have I seen a political decision that's been more successful than the smoking ban. Virtually everyone loves it, even most smokers (at least the one's with conscience).

I don't care if people smoke at all, smoke alone and smell like shit, by all means. But if they smoke public they affect other people with their poison and then I sure as shit get pissed off.

#28 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:13 PM

Well I went out last night in the village and both places enforced it which was good, 1st pub I went to (we have 4 pubs in our village) was great I could actually breath in properly I could DEFENTLY NOTICE THE Difference.

My friends tried to get me outside while they smoked, I said no and it was piss funny watching them all go outside with there coats on. HAHA, I was on my own for like 5 minutes, not bothering at all it was busy and had music on and I had my pint.

Then second pub (most my friends gone home at this point) I did go out with 2 of my mates, cuz my mates feared of me getting beaten up lol lol laugh.gif .

Then I ended up having 7 pints laugh.gif till like 12:30, then woke up this morning like shit I gotta go work.

Then I didn't even bother enforcing the law at work (I have to) there were to many well built guys who could punch my lights out, I didn't even dare lol at work it's 10 meters from buildings at pubs it 1.85 meters.

There gonna talk about it in team meeting tomorrow hehe.

#29 oozingrectum

oozingrectum

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:16 AM

Smoking bans are stupid. Sure, people don't have to breathe the fumes.. But what about cars? They emit noxious fumes as well. You have no option not to inhale them either, the same as second hand smoke (except will kill you a lot quicker).

Speaking on that subject.. which smells worse: A nice Cohiba cigar or the fumes from the tailpipe of a Hummer H2?

It's not like EVERYONE is smoking anyways.

I am a smoker and have been smoking for 2 and a half years, though I wasn't a heavy smoking until I turned 18 much earlier this year. I primarily smoke cigars, though when I need a tobacco fix I will smoke cigarettes or from a pipe.

* This is based upon my experience in living in the U.S... If England is any different, I wouldn't know as I've never been there.

Something like that? I need to have a smoke now. laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users