• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:30 AM

Mexican Carlos Slim Overtakes Bill Gates as 'World's Richest Person'
Posted by XanTium | July 3 20:30 EST | News Category: OffTopic

From bbc.co.uk:

Mexico's telecoms tycoon Carlos Slim has overtaken Bill Gates to become the world's richest person, according to a respected Mexican financial website.

Mr Slim is now worth $67.8bn (33.6bn), above Microsoft founder Mr Gates' $59.2bn, Sentido Comun says.
It said Mr Slim's wealth has rocketed into top place after the recent 27% surge in the share price of his largest company, America Movil.

Full Story: bbc.co.uk

#2 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:34 AM

gotta wonder if hes donated nearly as much as gates has.

#3 TheIrishLad

TheIrishLad

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Ebay, Projectors, Economics, Marketing, Entrepreneurial Ventures.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:41 AM

QUOTE(ILLusions0fGrander @ Jul 3 2007, 07:10 PM) View Post

Wondering that myself. unsure.gif

#4 alfrediio

alfrediio

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:49 AM

he is cheap... i am from mexico... and believe me, this son of a gun has not donated a damn cent...

grr.gif

#5 XDelusion

XDelusion

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Interests:DOOM, Star Wars (Books Comics), Natural Law.
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:51 AM

Bill Gates isn't nor ever was the richest man in the world. The Banker families of old are MUCH MUCH MUCH wealthier.

There is the Rothschilds, Rockefellers, Morgan, Chase, etc. These are the men who control the world money system, and fund all wars...

...on both sides.

Leading us to believe some computer nerd rip off artist or who ever else has all the money is a sad distraction.

#6 Altima NEO

Altima NEO

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, XBox, 360, PSP, Dreamcast, 3D Graphics & Animation

Posted 04 July 2007 - 03:00 AM

QUOTE(XDelusion @ Jul 3 2007, 07:27 PM) View Post

Bill Gates isn't nor ever was the richest man in the world. The Banker families of old are MUCH MUCH MUCH wealthier.

There is the Rothschilds, Rockefellers, Morgan, Chase, etc. These are the men who control the world money system, and fund all wars...

...on both sides.

Leading us to believe some computer nerd rip off artist or who ever else has all the money is a sad distraction.

Theyre all dead though.

#7 majzor

majzor

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 03:11 AM

si senor! biggrin.gif

I doubt if this guy donate his money, like Mr. Gates. happy.gif

#8 explosive2

explosive2

X-S Genius

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 04 July 2007 - 03:42 AM

QUOTE(alfrediio @ Jul 3 2007, 06:25 PM) View Post

he is cheap... i am from mexico... and believe me, this son of a gun has not donated a damn cent...

grr.gif

He is cheap compared to Bill Gates when it comes to donating but he Does have Fundacion Telmex where he donates some money to people in need.

#9 gsharpshooter

gsharpshooter

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:13 AM

umm bs i dont belive this

#10 0794

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Interests:medicine, engineering, Jeeps, technology, automobiles, and just about everything...

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:14 AM

QUOTE(ILLusions0fGrander @ Jul 3 2007, 08:10 PM) View Post

sure Gates has donated a lot and established charities and such, but i have always wondered how sincere most of that is...anyone that knows corporations and finances realizes that there are so many incentives towards charitable contributions that donating money is practically necessary to protect wealth.

#11 BasicAir

BasicAir

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Interests:Everything.
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:20 AM

QUOTE(794 @ Jul 4 2007, 04:50 AM) View Post

sure Gates has donated a lot and established charities and such, but i have always wondered how sincere most of that is...anyone that knows corporations and finances realizes that there are so many incentives towards charitable contributions that donating money is practically necessary to protect wealth.

It's sincere with Gates because his wife is behind him doing it.

Anyway, I have good reason to believe this news article is drastically overestimating this amigo's wealth. In other words, they're putting a way more positive spin on it than is reasonable and are more or less lying (I say lying because I'm sure they know they're wrong). I won't go into all the details of why I feel this way, but let's just say I have a business degree and have a firm grasp on the amount of wealth of this man and Mr. Gates, too.

But anyway, that's all I got to say about it. Not a big deal...

#12 nic8612

nic8612

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:53 AM

QUOTE(BasicAir @ Jul 4 2007, 04:56 AM) View Post

It's sincere with Gates because his wife is behind him doing it.

Anyway, I have good reason to believe this news article is drastically overestimating this amigo's wealth. In other words, they're putting a way more positive spin on it than is reasonable and are more or less lying (I say lying because I'm sure they know they're wrong). I won't go into all the details of why I feel this way, but let's just say I have a business degree and have a firm grasp on the amount of wealth of this man and Mr. Gates, too.

But anyway, that's all I got to say about it. Not a big deal...

I hate to be a dick, but a business degree isn't much to brag about. A business degree doesn't vary much from a general studies degree. McDonald's requires a business degree to be a manager. I'm sorry, but I wont be looking to you for expert advice on the financial situation of some of the richest people in the world.

#13 dark0

dark0

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:53 AM

QUOTE(Altima NEO @ Jul 4 2007, 03:36 AM) View Post

Theyre all dead though.

uhhh they had families? huh.gif

#14 g8crapachino

g8crapachino

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:02 AM

QUOTE(XDelusion @ Jul 4 2007, 02:27 AM) View Post

...on both sides.

This should be obvious but you apparently don't get it. The category of "Riches person in the world" is about the riches *PERSON* not family. There is NO member of the Rothschilds, Rockefellers, Morgan, Chase, or any other banking family who's individual income exceeds any of the top 10 richest people alive.

Edited by g8crapachino, 04 July 2007 - 05:05 AM.

#15 felang

felang

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:30 AM

Slim actually donates a lot, he just isn't as public about it. The thing is Gates apart from being filthy rich is a celebrity, he's in the spotlight most of the time. As for why I believe that this is totally true, chances are that if you own a cell phone anywhere in LAtin America, you bought it from one of Slim's companies, and it's one of the largest growing markets cell phone wise in the world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users