813 replies to this topic

#601 johnnynuge

johnnynuge

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:51 AM

QUOTE(mooshoepork @ Jan 12 2008, 06:05 PM) View Post

This will convert .dts to ac3, or whatever smile.gif worked for me!

google DAudioK smile.gif

DAudioK is awesome. Highly recommended if you're using a codec pack without AC3Filter and having trouble with DTS soundtracks. Thanks Mooshoepork.

To anyone with questions on how to use DAudioK: extract the MKV and DTS audio track in MKVextractGUI, select output to AC3, adjust the AC3 settings accordingly and convert the extracted DTS track (just hit OK if a bunch of popup warnings appear). That's it.

On another note, has everyone checked out http://www.mariposahd.tv/? Free (and legal) WMV-HD videos featuring footage of exotic South American locales and hot latin chicks distributed via bittorrent. Anyone know of any other readily available WMV-HD content floating around the web? Converting MKV to WMV-HD works quite well, but is time-consuming and a slight pain in the ass.

Edited by johnnynuge, 18 January 2008 - 05:08 AM.

#602 chrislynch

chrislynch

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 18 January 2008 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE(millenn @ Jan 17 2008, 07:40 PM) View Post

For adding subtitles in any movie, modify the file movie.avs (available in "My custom TMPGEnc Xpress profile") and add the following code:

in this case i was using V for vendetta, in the DirectShowSource you have to put the movie file (mkv) and in the TextSub the subtitle file (srt,sub)

easy one,
regards

There is another way I stumbled onto today. I haven't tested it, but I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work. In TMPGEnc, after you load the source and you are on the Source window, there is a Filters tab. Click it, then select Edit Filter List. There is a Subtitle option to add to the list. It will only accept SRT-based subtitles.

#603 Utsi

Utsi

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:43 AM

Thank you Chris for valuable input. I've uninstalled everything and installed the components you recommended and am now able to convert 1080p mkvs without the "50% crash", and without manually converting DTS to AC3. I do, however, get jerky video, even after setting fps to 24. I've made several attempts.

There's a couple of things I don't understand:
-Why does impimpin use avs-scripts when he's not making any modifications, adding subs etc?
-What exactly does impimpin's custom TMPGEnc profile do, what settings does it affect?

Any luck with the jerky/stuttering issues yet? If someone's getting smooth results, please make a zip-file with your installed components and make it available for download. Or even better, if someone made an automatic installer they'd be heroes.

Edited by Utsi, 18 January 2008 - 08:45 AM.

#604 chrislynch

chrislynch

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:59 AM

QUOTE(Utsi @ Jan 18 2008, 12:19 AM) View Post

-Why does impimpin use avs-scripts when he's not making any modifications, adding subs etc?

I don't quite know myself. Other than using AVISynth as a frame server, TMPGEnc will load the DirectShowFilter codec that has the highest priority. i.e. x264/H.264 -> CoreAVC; DTS/AC3 -> AC3Filter.

-What exactly does impimpin's custom TMPGEnc profile do, what settings does it affect?

Any luck with the jerky/stuttering issues yet? If someone's getting smooth results, please make a zip-file with your installed components and make it available for download. Or even better, if someone made an automatic installer they'd be heroes.

His profile is set for WMV 9 Advanced Profile for video, and Windows Media Professional 10 for audio. He has a base starting point for the video and audio bit rate. You should customize this based on a few things:

1. If you want to burn the result to either a DVD5 or DVD9 media, use the Calculator to set the Media to DVD5 or DVD9 and 100% capacity. This will set the bit rate for the video, based on the total amount of frames and the frame rate, so the result will not go beyond the capacity of the DVD media you chose.

Or

2. WVC1 (otherwise known as Windows Media 9 Advanced Profile VC-1) does provide good compression for HD content. However, we are re-encoding compressed video. Without changing the default behavior of the WVC1 codec, you should match the bit rate as close to the original as possible. Why? If not, you may get slow or jerky video in fast scenes. Like car chases (i.e. The Bourne Ultimatum) or the opening producing studios (i.e. Constantine Films), etc.

I am including three profiles:

* My modified 720p profile
* A 1080p without audio profile
* A 1080p with audio profile

Edited by chrislynch, 19 January 2008 - 03:15 AM.

#605 Utsi

Utsi

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 01:32 PM

Thanks alot Chris, I finally got it to work thanks to your advice. Setting fps to 24 on the source for 1080p did the trick.

Do as Chris says and you will save yourself a lot of pain!

#606 andyd

andyd

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE(chrislynch @ Jan 16 2008, 01:00 PM) View Post

Yes, you can stream an H.264 MP4 video to the Xbox 360, but only using the Media Sharing capabilities with WMP11. The Windows Media Center Extender functionality of the Xbox 360 does not support the H.264 codec, or even Divx/Xvid. Yet.

But then I'm confused as to why my mp4 file won't play on my 360. I'm trying to stream the file from my pc and all I get is a black screen. I've converted a mkv file to mp4 by...

mkvextract to get h264 and ac3 files
belight to convert ac3 to aac
yamb to convert h264 and aac to mp4

file plays perfectly on my pc but doesn't play on my 360

#607 texagjosh

texagjosh

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE(chrislynch @ Jan 11 2008, 12:08 PM) View Post

With the process I outline, you no longer need to extract the audio. AC3filter will be able to decode the AC3 or DTS audio track in the MKV content.

You are my hero. I have been fighting this for weeks now with some of the DTS movies I have in my conversion queue. love.gif

#608 johnnynuge

johnnynuge

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:38 AM

I just did a fresh installation of Vista 64 and decided to try chrislynch's suggestions from post #546. I installed AC3Filter, Haali Media Splitter and NO codec pack. I've got to admit, this is a lot easier than impimpin206's method. No MKVExtractGUI in MKVToolnix folder confusion, no non-working avs scripts and no having to convert dts to ac3. I just installed Koepi's xvid 1.1.3 and media player classic, which should be able to play most video files locally on my pc.

Good job chrislynch. I think you should start another thread and pin the tutorial.

#609 chrislynch

chrislynch

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:47 AM

@johnnynuge/texagjosh:

You are very welcome guys. I PM'd the author of this thread, and have yet to have him respond. I will post an updated tutorial with the following:

- My Updated procedure on how to convert MKV 720p/1080p content to WMV-HD/WVC1
- How to add subtitles with TMPGEnc for those that want or need to add them
- Upconverting your existing DVD's to WMV 720p, just like the Xbox 360 would if you had it connected to your TV via VGA or HDMI.

I should have it posted by Monday.

@andyd:
But then I'm confused as to why my mp4 file won't play on my 360. I'm trying to stream the file from my pc and all I get is a black screen. I've converted a mkv file to mp4 by...

Hmm.... Good question. Can you PM me a DEBUG level report from MediaInfo?

The only problem I could potentially see is if the bitrate is too high. I know that Microsoft has only tested H.264 encoded content with lower bitrates than what you would normally see in WMV-HD/WVC1 encoded content.

I personally have not attempted this, as I want to maintain surround sound, and not downgrade it to low quality 2-channel audio.

Edited by chrislynch, 20 January 2008 - 02:58 AM.

#610 impimpin206

impimpin206

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Interests:Multimedia, xbox/360 hacking, football, and breaking girls' hearts.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:20 AM

Thank you Chris for valuable input. I've uninstalled everything and installed the components you recommended and am now able to convert 1080p mkvs without the "50% crash", and without manually converting DTS to AC3. I do, however, get jerky video, even after setting fps to 24. I've made several attempts.

Using Avisynth to frameserve fixed jerky video issues for many. There's nothing in the profile you can't set manually, I just wanted it to be done with as few steps as possible. Other studder tends to come from ffdshow. I've got a registry file to fix those configuration issues. The problem is most people for some reason aren't using ffdshow-tryouts. Do others work? Yes. Am I going to help find the problems with every different codec release, which are built NIGHTLY? Fuck no.

To chrislynch, write your own tutorial don't re-write mine. I've written an updated version of this, just can't update my post. Also written HD-DVD to WMV tutorial and Blu-Ray to WMV tutorial. I'm going to put them all together as a PDF.

Edited by impimpin206, 20 January 2008 - 03:22 AM.

#611 chrislynch

chrislynch

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:13 AM

QUOTE(andyd @ Jan 19 2008, 07:19 AM) View Post

Oh, one more thing. I forgot to mention that WMP11 does not know how to handle MP4 files to network clients. This obviously includes the Xbox 360. Copy and paste the following into Notepad and save it as MP4_WMP11.reg:

CODE
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp4]
"PerceivedType"="video"
"Content Type"="video/mp4"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.mp4]
"Runtime"=dword:00000007
"Permissions"=dword:0000000f
"UserApprovedOwning"="yes"

Then, double-click the file from Windows Explorer. This will add the above Registry settings so WMP11 can stream MP4 files to network clients.

@impimpin:
Using Avisynth to frameserve fixed jerky video issues for many. There's nothing in the profile you can't set manually, I just wanted it to be done with as few steps as possible. Other studder tends to come from ffdshow. I've got a registry file to fix those configuration issues. The problem is most people for some reason aren't using ffdshow-tryouts. Do others work? Yes. Am I going to help find the problems with every different codec release, which are built NIGHTLY? Fuck no.

To chrislynch, write your own tutorial don't re-write mine. I've written an updated version of this, just can't update my post. Also written HD-DVD to WMV tutorial and Blu-Ray to WMV tutorial. I'm going to put them all together as a PDF.

I'm not sure if your comments have been directed at me. But, I did not come here (like other have in earlier posts) telling you that there are "better" ways of doing this. Are there multiple ways of accomplishing the same task? Of course. Does my assistance, guidance or knowledge dictate, or should elicit an obscene remark from you or anyone else? No.

I joined this form to help post my findings and offer my experience to the matter at hand. Does everyone benefit? I hope so. I hope everyone who reads this thread can benefit from the insight everyone posts here. Otherwise, we all would be stuck with problems, and be ripping our hair out, cursing at ourselves.

Trust me when I say this. I know how much work is involved with writing up a tutorial/guide on how to do something. I do the same thing for my customers as part of my job. Do not take this personal. And before you respond with "I'm not taking this personal," you are. No flaming intended.

Edited by chrislynch, 20 January 2008 - 05:31 AM.

#612 impimpin206

impimpin206

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Interests:Multimedia, xbox/360 hacking, football, and breaking girls' hearts.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:14 AM

It was a response to the questions above

#613 Utsi

Utsi

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:24 AM

This is the best and most popular guide to mkv conversion on the net. Surely it would be in the administration's best interest to give you extended rights so that you could update the post. It would be easier to maintain that way. Maybe they'll let you if you ask wink.gif Looking forward to more info on the subject.

#614 JamesRaby

JamesRaby

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:27 AM

Hi, sorry to ask but for the first 10 minutes on each encode its stuttery, its done this on 3 encodes, after 10 mins its perfectly fine, any ideas out there?

#615 chrislynch

chrislynch

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE(JamesRaby @ Jan 21 2008, 03:03 AM) View Post

Hi, sorry to ask but for the first 10 minutes on each encode its stuttery, its done this on 3 encodes, after 10 mins its perfectly fine, any ideas out there?

Search is your friend. This has been discussed numerous times so far.

If you are using ffdshow-tryouts, then the issue is with the codec settings. There is a reg file you can obtain to fix this. Again, search is your friend.

If you are using CoreAVC (which I am), then you need to change the Source Frame Rate to 24fps (most likely.) You may have to play around with different Source Frame Rates. However, 24fps works the majority of the time. In the Format section, you can leave the Frame Rate as the same as the source. Or, you can change it to 23.976.

Also, disable Video RAM Cache. I have posted on how to do this. There is no benefit to enable this unless you have slow IDE 5400 RPM disks and a really slow CPU. Well, if you do, then encoding HD content is impracticable on that type of H/W.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users