Kynaeus

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:31 PM

Heya guys, I haven't been around here in awhile, but I need some help at the moment.

A couple months ago my brother decided to buy some Monster Cables to use on our Xbox instead of the normal ones, and he told me had to change some option in the MS dashboard before we could use them. No biggie, I made back-up copies of the original drive prior to the soft-mod (used the Splinter Cell to put in a devox dash I think? no packages, just the dash and XBMC, long time ago).
So, I FTP'd over to the Xbox, updated my back-ups of the modded HDD, restored the hard drive to the unmodded dash. My brother changed his option, however, when I went back to change the drive to modded dash, something screwed up. The transfer went through okay and everything, but when we restarted the console (Diskless) it came up with error 21. It starts normal Xbox games properly and I can play those, but if I boot with a burned disk or no disk I come up with error 21 consistently. Normally, I would just load up Splinter Cell and ftp back but apparently the saved games did not get put back, so I can't really think of how I can interface with my HDD to put the dash back.

Any ideas?

Edited by Kynaeus, 06 July 2007 - 11:41 PM.

#2 cerealkillajme

cerealkillajme

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:06 PM

You said you made backups before softmodding, if you have a backup of the eeprom you can hook the drive to XBOXHDM and rebuild it.

If you do not have an eeprom backup then you need to hotswap or install a chip to fix it.

#3 Kynaeus

Kynaeus

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:37 AM

Hello again,

successfully hotswapped my xbox, it's running right now. After this point though, I seem to have hit a wall. I downloaded and tried both HD fatxbox explorer and hdd driver, the former says it does not find the disk, the latter crashing on the absence of a necessary DLL. As for fatxbox not finding the drive, it does indeed show up in the Device Manager (showed up quickly, definitely unlocked.) so I don't know what's wrong with that.

In response to Cereal, I do have the eeprom.bin backed up, but, I haven't tried anything with xboxhdm because it looks like it's a linux-based app I run on the xbox (I think?) and I have no accessible dash to use.

Thanks for the help!

#4 Kynaeus

Kynaeus

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:51 AM

(Not letting me edit)

I'm looking at the Xbox HDM tut/faq and I got the hdm, but I can only find Slayer's auto-installer in the usual places.

#5 jessevanneste

jessevanneste

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, mounatin biking.
  • 360 version:none

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:39 AM

XboxHDM is a linux based app you run on your PC.

You should be able to find it in the usual places as a PC based application.

#6 Kynaeus

Kynaeus

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:31 AM

Oops!

I meant to say that I have the XboxHDM from the usual places, but the only thing I could find was "slayer's auto-installer" and I didn't take the chance it was the same as "slayer's disk", which the HDM for dummies faq says it uses files from.

#7 cerealkillajme

cerealkillajme

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE(Kynaeus @ Jul 11 2007, 01:07 AM) View Post

Oops!

I meant to say that I have the XboxHDM from the usual places, but the only thing I could find was "slayer's auto-installer" and I didn't take the chance it was the same as "slayer's disk", which the HDM for dummies faq says it uses files from.

Slayers disc is "Slayers Auto-Installer". Whenever you hear "Slayers" it means "Slayers Auto-Installer". wink.gif

#8 Kynaeus

Kynaeus

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE(cerealkillajme @ Jul 11 2007, 09:04 AM) View Post

Slayers disc is "Slayers Auto-Installer". Whenever you hear "Slayers" it means "Slayers Auto-Installer". wink.gif

Thanks Cereal, better to be safe than sorry.
I found the auto-installer or whatever, but no one is seeding. Oh well, guess I'll keep looking, thanks.

Edit: Found it, working on getting it. Thanks a lot for your help Cereal, Jesse.

Edited by Kynaeus, 11 July 2007 - 05:10 PM.

#9 Kynaeus

Kynaeus

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:04 PM

After following the xboxhdm for dummies faq I seem to have a hit another snag, I built the xlinux bootable CD and burned it okay and everything, but when I tried to boot up with just the one drive to run the CD and the Xbox HDD, whenever I tried to unlock the hard drive xlinux told me it couldn't find it, no matter what I did. I tried changing IDE cables; running them on the same and different. I changed jumper settings on both, nothing seemed to matter.

Any help here is most appreciated smile.gif

#10 exraid

exraid

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:55 PM

Is the hdd master and the cd drive secondary?

#11 Kynaeus

Kynaeus

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:26 PM

Yes, just as the guide directs. I also tried the cable select mode when they were on different cables

#12 Kynaeus

Kynaeus

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:18 PM

bump

#13 Kynaeus

Kynaeus

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 06:40 AM

Another bump, someone must know.

#14 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:23 PM

Hi,

some pc motherboards are having trouble to lock / unlock a harddisk with xboxhdm.
You could try the dos tools.
You can use the pc LiveInfo program to calculate the harddisk password.
Make sure you calculate it for your xbox harddisk and not for your pc harddisk.

Be very careful with the lock command. Since you have to type in the password, it is easy to make mistakes. If you lock the disk, and can't remember the password afterwards, you will be unable to unlock it afterwards.

Xboxhdm also sets the master password which you can also use to unlock a harddisk.
Check for atapwd.zip and hddunlock.zip. Those are the dos tools that run from a dos bootable floppy.

regards.

#15 Kynaeus

Kynaeus

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE(obcd @ Jul 23 2007, 04:59 PM) View Post

Hi,

some pc motherboards are having trouble to lock / unlock a harddisk with xboxhdm.
You could try the dos tools.
You can use the pc LiveInfo program to calculate the harddisk password.
Make sure you calculate it for your xbox harddisk and not for your pc harddisk.

Be very careful with the lock command. Since you have to type in the password, it is easy to make mistakes. If you lock the disk, and can't remember the password afterwards, you will be unable to unlock it afterwards.

Xboxhdm also sets the master password which you can also use to unlock a harddisk.
Check for atapwd.zip and hddunlock.zip. Those are the dos tools that run from a dos bootable floppy.

regards.

I'm a little confused here;
are you telling me to boot to DOS and just run those files you mentioned from my bootable linux dvd and use it to unlock the xbox hdd?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users