Photo

Microsoft's Biggest Mistake With The 360?

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

Poll: Microsoft's Biggest Mistake with the 360?

Microsoft's Biggest Mistake with the 360?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Fred_PJ

Fred_PJ

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:none

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:26 PM

We should make a list and send it to Microsoft.

Edited by Fred_PJ, 09 July 2007 - 10:27 PM.

#32 Viper323

Viper323

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:09 AM

Wow, there are just so many... biggrin.gif

I would say the RRoD problem / denying the RRoD problem (They kinda go hand in hand...) and the lack of filetype support were their biggest mistakes. Being honest / reasonable with consumers and a firmware update could solve these problems though.

#33 halofun121

halofun121

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:19 AM

I think the Xbox 360 at launch should have been what the Xbox 360 Elite is today. HDMI output and the 120 GB HD would have been big pluses from the start. The Core package was a big mistake. Including built in WiFi and a hard drive in every package would have also been nice.

I also think better Media Playback capabilities from the start would also have been better. Playing HD quality movies over HDMI off of the hard drive? Sounds good to me! The Media Center Extender thing can stay, but calling it a replacement for an XBMC-style media player is a joke.

The RRoD is outrageous. I can understand some problems at first, but we're still having them? They should have invested more money into quality and rigorously tested the hardware. But we all know they wanted to get it out the door a year before everyone else. This is the most important problem. This is what's going to draw the average consumer away.

#34 ThaCrip

ThaCrip

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:32 AM

"Denying/Ignoring RRoD for 1.5y" thats what i voted for... although that RROD should not have even happened in the first place if they would have used decent components etc.

theres more i could complain about in that list although some of it you know microsoft will never give to the people like how XBMC is for the original xbox1... pretty much does all formats.

but honestly the denying it for 1.5years is just flat out unacceptable!

#35 BanditRW

BanditRW

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:40 AM

I have to throw my vote in for the RROD or "3RLOD".I half-way defended MS because I really didn't believe the failure numbers I was hearing,plus the fact that I own three 360swith no problems..... biggrin.gif .....that is until 3 days ago... ohmy.gif ....when my Launch console suddenly froze-screen went blank-and when I rebooted.....3RLOD.Thats when I started reading up on the whole X-Clamp deal and when I finally tore into my 360 and saw how obvious the problem was and how simple/cheap the fix was...I was just mystified... blink.gif...
1.At how such an obvious design flaw could slip past MS &
2.How easy/simple the fix was to correct the flaw
Still...I'm not totally PO'ed at MS,it only cost me a couple of dollars to fix my 360 and now its running like a champ again,plus I've removed the X-Clamps from my other 360s just as a precaution and did some further cooling mods to the ductwork inside the 360.
Between my PC's,360's and PS3 ..I save a ton on heating in the winter,my gameroom is always nice and toasty cool.gif

IPB Image

Edited by BanditRW, 10 July 2007 - 03:52 AM.

#36 InvidiousDemise

InvidiousDemise

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:54 AM

even with all these failures, i still love my xbox360 and wouldn't dare trade it for a PS3... when it's working right, i have no problems with it... it does suck that i'm too afraid to mod it because it might crash or something....

I wanted to be selfish and vote D-Pad but that's not far as bad as my brother's RRoD problem, so the D-pad is something I can live with... I also don't see anything about the 360 menu being really slow... that's one of my bigger problems with it...

#37 bobjim17

bobjim17

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Interests:My Xbox. Duh

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:03 AM

I have to say I'm bitterly disappointed in my 360.

Time and time again I turn it on, only to play for a few minutes and end up playing KotOR or something on my original Xbox. I find the 360 slower, oddly enough, than the original xbox, and the sound output is crackly. Just to be finicky and add to the list of other issues.

Anyway, I voted for the RRoD issue, as I have suffered this twice. Fourth console for me. Hooray. Luckily the outfit I bought the thing from replaced it the first two times as it was in the first month (respectively) of me having the thing.

Total issues, however, are too numerous to list. The lack of an internal HDD, and the SKU with no HDD at all, are very valid points. I understand (and please correct me if I am wrong) that any standard 3.5" HDD can be put in the PS3 with instant ability to use the entire space, whereas with the 360 (even if you do manage, by some miracle, to locate the correct model) you can still only use as much space as you would have had with a standard HDD. Of course, I understand that there is work involved with the PS3 HDD swap effort.

So, at one point I gave up and tried to sell my 360. I couldn't even sell it for half what I bought it for. Including games and all. This, to me, is a larger sign of a failed console than anything else you could name. People want to see some kind of investment from such a large and heavily-hyped product. Not the type you might get returns on, but the type that at least your neighbour might covet. Not something that breeds fear in the hearts of men.

The cheap components report from whichever Taiwanese company reported it was expected like an oncoming freight train.

To add to this, I am expecting in the future that M$ will release a version of the 360 with a next-gen DVD format internally. They did this with HDMI, and so I don't think see any reason to suspect they won't do so with the optical drive. The bitterly disappointing thing about this is that those of us that purchased the console originally will miss out (and did so with regards to HDMI) yet they will still call all sales a win for the 360. I understand changes made to improve the general console itself (such as with the different versions of the original Xbox) but adding technology into a released product is a no-no. Whats more, if any devs decide to create huge mammoth-proportion games (who's not waiting for this to happen?) and decide they want to release them on a console, they will have to go with PS3 as the 360 'cannot play games from the HD-DVD add-on'. Where's the justice, you say?

My only hope now lies in XBMC for the 360. The possibilities at this stage are limitless!

Another point that has occurred to me is an alternate angle of the price issue for the PS3. Sure, at this point its way above expectations. However, as prices for the technology drop, prices of the PS3 will come down, and this will not be an issue.

At the same time; most of the other issues the PS3 is currently sporting can be fixed by some well spent development dollars (the online service and the limited games selection to name two). Considering how long the PS2 has been round, and how it is still being made, supported and sold (WTF were you thinking M$, dropping xbox1!?!?) I would say Sony intend the PS3 to be around for a long time, and so are thus far not concerned about the price issue. After all, its working insofar as to further their control over the next-gen DVD market, isn't it?

Now, if only it didn't look like something food should be cooked on...

Edited by bobjim17, 10 July 2007 - 08:15 AM.

#38 47_M450N_47

47_M450N_47

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modding, anything with computers and networking. Gaming. Shooting stuff, blowing up stuff.

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:05 AM

Denying the RRoD problem for me. It's one thing to have the problem in the first place, but when they go and just try to pretend it doesn't exist and hope it goes away...that's just too much. They should have began working on a new design as soon as they found out about the RRoDs. If they were too lazy to do that, then they should have included at least a 1 year warranty to begin with and just dumped the whole idea of 90 days.

#39 Dracc

Dracc

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:13 AM

As bad as the RROD and the denial of it has been, I have to say the bigest mistake was lack of a web browser. MS wants face time with you on your 360, and I would spend 3-4 times as many hours on my 360 if I could use the web. Even there inclusion on a IM app is lackluster. I know a few people who have broadband internet solely for their 360, and some don't even own PCs... maybe MS should reward them with a little browser, eh? I would even buy it, or use it on disc if necessary(through it would be a nice way to sell HDD if they were req.)

#40 Nosf3ratu

Nosf3ratu

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, what else?

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:22 AM

I think their biggest mistake was not including a high-def optical drive like Sony did. All of the console failures can be fixed but developers are really going to need extra storage in the future for when the games start to get big. I've been over multi-disc games since the 32-bit era, having them on a next-gen console is ridiculous. As for my 360, I've never had a problem with it.

#41 ISOmaniac29

ISOmaniac29

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE(Fred_PJ @ Jul 9 2007, 11:02 PM) View Post

We should make a list and send it to Microsoft.

you are the man!

i have had just about every problem in the book with the 360 im sick of it ive owned four already and they

died after normal use and when i got the elite i thought maybe they would have fixed everything but they

still are not dealing with the problems at hand if you ask me because i still see them way too much grr.gif

note: hd drive?

my system is blueray for the movie room could care less about anything HD anymore other then the TV itself

Edited by ISOmaniac29, 10 July 2007 - 12:44 PM.

#42 DIE-HARD

DIE-HARD

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Interests:XBOX XBOX XBOX XBOX XBOX XBOX XBOX XBOX XBOX Networking Networking Networking Networking GIRLS!!!!

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:23 PM

The 360 NEEDS: XviD, DivX, and the need for .mkv container support.

It should also not require special formatting or sizing of the videos in order for it to play as long as it was compressed using a compatible codec!

Heck for under $100 you can go buy a DivX/XviD stand alone player. Tell me why MS would not be able to afford to license playback as others have and still make plenty of money? Heck I would buy another Xbox 360 if they had DivX/XviD support!

And last but not least, "Windows Home Networking" and I am not talking UPnP Media servers. I am talking SMB network browsing support.

#43 xlordx

xlordx

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:58 PM

all of the above should have been added :0 so rrod is a must.

#44 Lordscr

Lordscr

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:10 PM

The biggest mistake is that, from their point of view, to make a single error code for most hardware faults.

If everything produced a different error code we all wouldn't been unified with the same problem.

#45 jpolster2005

jpolster2005

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:16 PM

I am wondering why the elite doesnt have hd dvd internally and wheres my web browser. three freakin cores and no browser?. surely it can handle it, plus its a COMPUTER

I am wondering why the elite doesnt have hd dvd internally and wheres my web browser. three freakin cores and no browser?. surely it can handle it, plus its a COMPUTER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users