Photo

Microsoft's Biggest Mistake With The 360?

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

Poll: Microsoft's Biggest Mistake with the 360?

Microsoft's Biggest Mistake with the 360?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 XBOX360NYMODING

XBOX360NYMODING

X-S Member

• Last Chance
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:38 PM

i think the biggest mistake was not telling the public about the problem sooner and keep sending out fault boxes. next mistake is the file support. if you add more file support more people will use the system. drop the add on option and use the 360 for what its worth

#47 Digital_sin

Digital_sin

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:38 AM

defiantly No internal High-Def/Capacity Dis, this WILL bite them in the A$$ starting one year from now.

#48 svenk91

svenk91

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:52 AM

ah, you should have put in the awfull sound it makes.

besides that my fear for the ring of death, i have a costuim case and stuff so no warranty, i already had it once but it was just a loose cable, already rinning fine for 8 months now so i'm feeling a bit mopre safe

#49 manu_xl

manu_xl

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • Interests:Hacking The Box!
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:21 PM

RRoD is a big problem of the 360 but denying it for such a period of time is THE biggest mistake microsoft made since their initial xbox launch!

#50 bassquake

bassquake

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:48 PM

Hmm. Voting system would be better if you could choose the order of preference of the mistakes of m$ instead. That way it'd be more indictive.

Mine would read (from worst to not bothered):

1. Red Ring of Dead (RRoD) Problem / Denying/Ignoring RRoD for 1.5y (same thing as far as im concerned).

2. Limited filetype support for media playback. (would be an xbmc killer probably!)

3. Overpriced accessoires (WiFi Adapter, HDD, ...) (70 for a hd? ur havin a larf!)

4. Lack of a webbrowser. (Even the wii has one)

5. No internal High-Def/Capacity Disc. (Would be nice)

6. Low quality of standard headset / Sync issues with early controllers and wireless headset. (similar problems so count as one, dont even use one anyway)

The last ones: At launch only 90days warranty in USA and Crappy D-pad dont affect me as im in UK and I like the D-Pad! smile.gif

Edited by bassquake, 11 July 2007 - 04:52 PM.

#51 np_guard

np_guard

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:51 PM

Voted RRoD. I've lost 3 consoles because of that. That makes Xbox 360 very unreliable.

#52 MickRick

MickRick

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE(XaN4 @ Jul 9 2007, 04:51 AM) View Post

i would have voted for all of them i can M$ did a very bad job on this console they put really cheap parts into this console i love what sony is doing and im not a sony fanboy is that sony gets no money from the console at all but all from games i wish M$ would put more time and money into the 360 a hd-dvd drive would not be that much more if was built in but really pisses me off is that the mics suck major balls i cant her crap out of them and some times the qualty is so bad i cat understand people

Maybe you should take your keyboard back and exchange it for one with punctuation keys, you know the ones I mean. ,.?;:"! that sort of thing. And a spell-checker wouldn't be a bad idea either. jester.gif

Seriously though, I really do think that the rrod and denying it existed should be one option to vote on. It's the one thing that put me off the 360 for over a year (apart from the price). And the lack of divx/xvid/matroska video support and mp4 5.1ch audio is really annoying.

#53 givmedew

givmedew

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:59 PM

I agree with a lot of people and have to say its a bunch of mistakes wrapped into one.

The biggest one is claiming to not have knowledge that the ROD was a problem.

My 0 day xbox failed right around 4 months of extremely lite use. I had Circuit Citys warranty and they were nice enough to swap it out for me and let me keep my own hard drive which normally they make you ship the whole thing and you get a gift card in the mail.

The replacement box just failed and again they were very nice to me and after I explained how important the stuff on the drive was they let me use a new 120gb kit and the stores demo xbox to transfer my data over to the Elites new hard drive. 30-45 minute process.

Either way 3rd xbox and I have only played enough games to have a score of 500 something prior to having forza2 now I have 1100 which is why the 2nd one burnt out all just from playing forza.

I rememer when final fantasy 7 on psx was out my system would run for days NO PROBLEM as long as it was upside down and it was a 0 day PSX... The ps2 I had was 0 day and it just skipped out (shitty laser on the 0 day)

My normal xbox had no problems but it was a 1.3 with fan mods then a halo 1.5 with fan mods.

Microsoft messed up BIG... and it amazes me that they found 2 solutions that are still not implimented in the elite (heat pipe with extra heat sink for gpu and remaking the cpu)

So I have to void the warranty on my elite just so it doesnt burn up again. That is stupid that I have to do that.

#54 edwinmcdunlap

edwinmcdunlap

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:30 PM

D-pad and media support!

#55 luther349

luther349

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:35 PM

dam you cant vote all of the above

#56 jimbobjim

jimbobjim

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • Interests:Sniffing farts under the covers.
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:57 PM

I know I mentioned this on page 2 of this thread but am I the only one who has noticed how utterly crap the Samsung DVD drives are? I've flashed around 30 systems with sammys installed and most of them (including my own) refuse to open when the console is positioned verctically. I really think this should be added to the list.

Edited by jimbobjim, 11 July 2007 - 11:58 PM.

#57 gsharpshooter

gsharpshooter

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:39 AM

i would like to say these r all the main mistakes if i could vote for all but its mostly the red ring light and overheating issue

Edited by gsharpshooter, 12 July 2007 - 12:42 AM.

#58 LiteralTruth

LiteralTruth

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Many things both techy and not.

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:39 AM

I voted for the RROD denial. It hasn't affected me personally, but I think that the epic scale of the PR catastrophe that is this problem will do the 360 no end of harm...especially as it's becoming more heavily promoted as the main rival gains foothold. For me, this has offset whatever advantage MS might have had by releasing their system first and I really believe that this massive cock-up on their part means that once people get over the gimmick of the Wii, Sony will win this generation as comfortably as it did the last.

While that is undoubtably the biggest business mistake on MS' part though, for me personally the biggest irritation is the media support. One of the main reasons I bought an 360 was as a media player. The sheer crapness of the media application has shocked me though - the difficulty of using it even as an Mp3 players (when it comes to things like building up a playlist and browsing through your tracks) as well as the difficulty of using it as a place to actually story your already ripped media, And the lack of file type support is something I'm still astounded by. It really suprises me when they were gifted with a fantastic example of how to do it successfully with XBMC.

I'm just hoping that at some point we get proper mod chips for the 360 so that we can have XBMC360 - and I can finally unplug my original XBox from my TV.

#59 hessec

hessec

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:26 PM

I haven't had any problems with my new Elite, but I think the lack of an internal High Def/High Capacity disc reader really limits the 360.

#60 chane2k1

chane2k1

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:34 PM

I voted for RRoD but wanted to pick denying it for 1.5 years as well. I have sold two 360's on ebay for someone to repair or use as parts because they were both past warranty and MS told me they wouldn't service them. I won't buy a new one until i know the Falcon chipset is inside it, even if that means waiting a little longer to play Halo 3.

Edited by chane2k1, 12 July 2007 - 10:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users