10 replies to this topic

#1 Omnix1299

Omnix1299

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:37 PM

I dont know if its been brought up.. or if anyone knows if its at all as viable as im thinking. but, could you not mount a fan on the GPU heatsink, and then put the DvD drive back in place only without the bottom attached? or in the very least cut out a spot to mount the fan in the bottom. it wouldnt be any 60mm fan or anything but any extra flow through the top of that heatsink would be really good. though it does require the loss of the cover top from the fan shroud mod. i dont know jsut a thought anyone think not puttin that bottom back on the DVD drive would be that bad of an idea?

#2 splank

splank

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Magners irish cider! and Building/modding electronic equipment.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE(Omnix1299 @ Jul 10 2007, 09:13 PM) View Post

I dont know if its been brought up.. or if anyone knows if its at all as viable as im thinking. but, could you not mount a fan on the GPU heatsink, and then put the DvD drive back in place only without the bottom attached? or in the very least cut out a spot to mount the fan in the bottom. it wouldnt be any 60mm fan or anything but any extra flow through the top of that heatsink would be really good. though it does require the loss of the cover top from the fan shroud mod. i dont know jsut a thought anyone think not puttin that bottom back on the DVD drive would be that bad of an idea?

thts not possible, my dvd drive has a circuit board across most of the bottom of it. I have a samsung/toshiba dvd drive. Plus where would the air come from or escape to uf theres something directly above it. huh.gif huh.gif huh.gif

#3 Omnix1299

Omnix1299

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:10 PM

ive got a hitachi and i see a circuit board accross the bottom half of mine. there are a few strips but nothing that cant be worked around. are has to get in and out of it. theres a manual eject for all of them right? with as much space thats in there you wouldnt require a HUGE opening just a small enough one the get air in there. and if anything another hole could be added into the bottom to allow airflow in or the side. airflow wouldnt be to hard. i was thinking more or less along the lines of danger to the drives stability. would it still run fine even with holes in the bottom of it? or are there certain worries i should take into consideration.

#4 Etra1n

Etra1n

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:09 PM

actually airflow is your problem, sorry. the distance between the gpu heatsink and the dvd drive is like 10-15 mm, im not sure exactly. if you want anything significant to happen you need at least a 25 mm depth fan, otherwise the cfm is basically pointless

#5 Omnix1299

Omnix1299

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:37 PM

all i want to know.... is if i keep that bottom off the DVD drive... will it cause any major problems?? at all? the original Xbox kept its GPU heatsink cool with just as much clearance room as im gonna give this.. but i gotta get all my facts before i go ahead and not keep that damn cover on.

all i want to know.... is if i keep that bottom off the DVD drive... will it cause any major problems?? at all? the original Xbox kept its GPU heatsink cool with just as much clearance room as im gonna give this.. but i gotta get all my facts before i go ahead and not keep that damn cover on.

#6 malmeid2

malmeid2

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:52 PM

why don't you just sit the dvd drive outside of the case? If you really wanted to get creative, you could buy an external plastic case to hold the "removed" dvd drive (you might have to add some extra wiring to expand to the new case, not sure though), and then you'd have room for a 120mm (or maybe even bigger) fan. blink.gif

#7 Omnix1299

Omnix1299

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:56 PM

well its a nice idea to do that but i want this to fit the parameters that Microsoft gave us. what fun is modding if im gonna change the overall design? lol if i did that i might aas wellthrow it in a PC case, thats just not fun know what i mean?

#8 malmeid2

malmeid2

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:16 PM

sorry NVM, it won't work

Edited by malmeid2, 10 July 2007 - 11:21 PM.

#9 Omnix1299

Omnix1299

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:28 PM

No offense but, i didnt ask if the fan will work viably. i simply want to know the dangers of not keeping that bottom cover on the DVD drive. OH well, someone will know im sure = ) thank you for the help though. ill post pics if all settles through, and there are no apparent dangers to not having that bottom tray on there.

#10 splank

splank

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Magners irish cider! and Building/modding electronic equipment.

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE(Omnix1299 @ Jul 11 2007, 12:04 AM) View Post

No offense but, i didnt ask if the fan will work viably. i simply want to know the dangers of not keeping that bottom cover on the DVD drive. OH well, someone will know im sure = ) thank you for the help though. ill post pics if all settles through, and there are no apparent dangers to not having that bottom tray on there.

Technically there isnt any danger if you did take off the bottom cover, aslong as the heatsink doesnt touch the above circuit board i think it will be fine. Heat is no problem. Just make sure nothing (conductive) is touching the bottom of the circuit or u may end up shorting it.

#11 Omnix1299

Omnix1299

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:15 AM

aite thanks splank! i needed a second opinion on it before i went through with hacking up the bottom of the DVD drive too. theres a DVD window. ive made sure that it isnt exactly sealed so that the circulation in the will be sufficient enough to be able to mount the Fan on the GPU heatsink. im actually mounting two fans on it. they are both very small but combined provide quite the bit of airflow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users