ibemonty2000

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:19 AM

I recently changed my network setup. I have an Xbox with XBMC and it has been setup with SMB shares to stream music/movies/tvshows/etc.

Before it was hardwired on the network with a static ip (192.168.0.4). Since my tv is downstairs and my wireless router and pc upstairs, I decided to use the Netgear WGPS606 wireless bridge. After running the wizard to connect it to the wireless network, I hooked it up the Xbox.

According to the documentations, the devices connected to it needed to be setup for DHCP. Since I wanted it to have a static ip, I checked the MAC address in Evox and assigned the 192.168.0.4 address on the router to be given to that MAC address.

Now, with the Xbox on, I can ping the address successfully. The problem is I cannot FTP to it. Using a browser (Firefox or IE) to ftp://xbox:xbox@192.168.0.4 gives an "Unable to connect to server" error. Using the program I regularly use, FlashFXP, I get the error of "connection refused". I tried searching online for some info, but nothing really came up.

Am I doing something wrong? I would think being able to ping would allow me to FTP but I'm not able to. My whole reasoning for this is so I can stream the video/music/etc. and cannot since I get an error, and wanted to check the XBMC XML file to figure out why I could not access them. This may be the root of the problem. I'd greatly appreciate any help. I try to do my part to help others also; this has been a great community. Thanks.

-Monty

Edit: By the way, I'm sorta drunk so if some of this doesn't make sense, let me know. I'll check it tomorrow. Thanks again.

Edited by ibemonty2000, 11 July 2007 - 06:23 AM.

#2 spinyshooter

spinyshooter

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:paintball, archery, computers, airsoft, hunting, jail, girls, and on top of it all my xbox
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:14 PM

does the router have a built in firewall? (I don't know specific routers, and I'm sure I could look it up somewhere but you have it in some manual right in front of you...)

is the port set to 21?

#3 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:32 PM

Try DHCP instead of static, see what happens.

#4 ibemonty2000

ibemonty2000

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:17 AM

My router is the Netgear WGR614 (basic 54G, comparable to the Linksys WRT54G).

I am using DHCP on the Xbox. It is set in the options for DHCP, as the wireless bridge requires. It's just set so when the Xbox requests an IP, the router settings have been set to give a specific DHCP IP address (192.168.0.4) based on the MAC address of the device requesting the IP (the Xbox).

It has never had a firewall problem before, spinyshooter. The weird part is that it can be pinged, but still not any FTP access. And checking the "Connected Devices" shows, among others, the Xbox's MAC address, and it obviously goes away when I shut off the Xbox.

Any further ideas? I hate having to watch tv shows on my 19" non-widescreen pc monitor when I've got a 65" HDTV downstairs, only thing is this FTP/streaming problem I'm having.

-Monty

#5 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:51 PM

If you ping your xbox, then (in a cmd prompt) type arp -a does it list your xbox's MAC address?

I'm not actually sure if it should blink.gif , I'm not sure how a wireless bridge works on this level, but there may be a hint here..

You could play around with arp and force the entry: example: arp -s 157.55.85.212 00-aa-00-62-c6-09

Or, if that doesn't work, add a route:
CODE

route ADD 157.0.0.0 MASK 255.255.255.0  157.55.80.1
        xbox ip^                          ^bridge ip

Not sure if this will work, but it's something.

#6 ibemonty2000

ibemonty2000

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:20 PM

I'll try that. Thanks for giving me something to go on. I haven't used a wireless bridge before either so I don't know too much about the technical info on it.

And all the manual says something to the effect of "it seamlessly connects your wired devices to your wired network. The wireless bridge itself is invisible on the network!" So that didn't tell me much.

Anyways, I'll try that when I get home and see what happens. Thanks.

-Monty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users