• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bentenrai

Bentenrai

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:41 PM

Last night I was playing Phantasy Star when my xbox froze. I thought nothing of it, restarted and continued playing. Later on, I was listening to music when the same thing happened. A little annoyed, I restarted and began Phantasy Star again. The same thing happened. This time, when I turned my xbox on I got it to boot to the x screen, then 3 red lights and the screen froze. After 3-4 attempts, I got the same issue, frozen screen, 3 red lights. When I took it apart it was overheated, likely from poor ventilation. I let it sit on the windowsil and cool down, then I tried it again. Now no more RROD, but the screen freezes 5-6 minutes after starting my xbox, no matter what I'm doing.

Any help or suggestions would be great. What about the towle trick or heatgun trick? Don't know much about either but if you think they'll wrork...

Thanks, Bentenrai

#2 Death Monkey

Death Monkey

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:15 PM

My xbox was doing the same thing. 3RLOD, heat it up then it works for a few minutes and locks up. I did this...

http://copronymous.c...r-the-3rlod.pdf

and now it works flawlessly. I actually only replaced the xclamp on the GPU because the CPU was being stubborn, but you should probably replace both.

#3 fracicone

fracicone

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:05 PM

I can personally assure you that, as incredible as it may sound, the 3 (or 2) pennies trick works.

http://forums.xbox-s...o...06431&st=30

Link to 3rd page since the pics and tutorial are there.

#4 Bentenrai

Bentenrai

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:57 PM

Thanks guys, I'll take a look and give them a try. Any more advice would be great!

biggrin.gif

#5 Death Monkey

Death Monkey

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 05:26 AM

QUOTE(fracicone @ Jul 11 2007, 12:41 PM) View Post

I can personally assure you that, as incredible as it may sound, the 3 (or 2) pennies trick works.

http://forums.xbox-s...o...06431&st=30

Link to 3rd page since the pics and tutorial are there.
I actually was going to do that but my xbox already had tiny foam pieces on the ram, and I was the first to open it so I think microsoft started adding that same type of thing in the newer xboxes. But if there is nothing on your ram then yeah, definitely give it a shot.

#6 pricemeista33

pricemeista33

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:21 AM

OK I've done some trial and error to come up with this. I have two 360 HDD's and swapped back to the stock drive. The other drive was causing the freezing as I've determined from the experimental this or that drive. I wasn't able to play demo games from the non stock drive without freezing. I refer to the drive that shipped with the 360 as the "stock drive". Maybe I need to delete some things from the drive or it may just be over half full. That would indeed cause some funky stuff to happen as well. You don't want to fill the HDD just because you can you know. The more things you have on the HDD the more complications you might suffer. So try deleting or even wipe it clean to determine if this is the cause.

NOTE: You know it would be great if we were able to defrag the HDD IN GAMING CONSOLES. These are simply computers too right, so what about defragging......just allow it to stay fragged?

Edited by pricemeista33, 02 August 2007 - 12:24 AM.

#7 superbee

superbee

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:Xbox 360,Xbox,PS2 repairs for Canadians EH!
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:25 AM

Seperation of the solder reball under the GPU is causing your console to freeze and red light.

Try the xclamp fix. If that fails look up BGA Rework or xbox 360 Reflow Service and see if there's anyone
in your area. Reflowing the GPU will fix this problem, removing the xclamps and re-securing them by one of the xclamp fixes will prevent the 3rl from re-occuring. Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users