• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:24 PM

My pickup is an enormous pile of rusty metal, but that's ok because it brings me places and I love it to death.

anyway a few weeks ago I started to get a sort of light grinding sound coming from the wheels on the passengers side... almost like two rusty pieces of metal lightly rubbing together in time with the rotation of the wheels.

Even when I stomp on the brakes the noise doesn't change, but on occasion when I hit the brakes or hit a bump in the road it will stop for a few minutes.

it started barely noticeable only if I had the passengers side window down and driving near a wall would I hear it echo back faintly, now I can hear it with the windows up and the radio on.

I had it checked out at a shop and they said they couldn't hear it dry.gif but they checked out the front brakes and said everything looked fine and I had 1/4 of the brake pads left.

I'm worried it might be a wheel bearing, or worse, and axle. I'm also wondering if it could be the rear drum brakes as a co-worker said sometimes a rusty build up on the inside the drum could produce that noise.

Any ideas?

#2 CJLee89

CJLee89

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:47 PM

check your rotors and the inside of the drums. make sure the e-brake is adjusted right so its not rubbing on the drums abnormally. abnormally i mean not too much pressure on the drums.

wheel bearings could be the culprit. does the noise get worse when you turn a certian way?

#3 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE(CJLee89 @ Jul 11 2007, 07:23 PM) View Post

wheel bearings could be the culprit. does the noise get worse when you turn a certian way?

nope, it's pretty consistent.

I'll see If I can find someone with a jack so I can check out the brakes myself, anything specific I should be checking for?

#4 Rylinkus

Rylinkus

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:19 AM

Sounds very much like my Nissan's issues, which were rear brakes. In the end I simply loosened them up so they didnt work, BUT also didnt drag. I never really noticed a thing in braking......

Lift the rear end and leave the truck in neutral. Spin the rear wheels and see if you feel resistance/rubbing. If so I'd pull the rear tires and drums and have a look. Drum brakes BLOW. I'd be apt to simply loosen the automatic adjuster, spray everything down with brake cleaner incase anything is seized and in case that adjuster works, and slap it back together. If the adjuster doesnt work you simply wont have decent rear brakes which means nothing on a ride with drum brakes. (Less than 15% of your braking. Less under HARD braking due to weight shit. Even less than that if theyre seizing.) If the adjuster does work, hopefully a decent cleaning will solve issues.

You could also spend ~40-70 bucks and replace the shoes and spring kit. Take both wheels off and then take ONE side apart. The other side will be a reference on how to put the random box of springs together to magically make it all work.

#5 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:28 PM

I've determined that it's definitely coming from the passengers side rear after I had a friend drive along side to listen.

The real kick to the balls is when I bought the truck about 2 years ago the e-brake and rear brakes were shot and I had to have new shoes and everything to rebuild the rear brakes to pass inspection sad.gif

I also don't own a jack because the one I did own blew out on me a few months ago (thankfully no one got hurt) and I haven't got around to buying a new one.

Thanks for the tips guys

I'm almost tempted to see if I can find a disc brake conversion kit ... I friggin loath drum brakes.

Anyway thanks for the advice, I'll see if I can check it out this weekend.

Edited by twistedsymphony, 13 July 2007 - 03:29 PM.

#6 hamwbone

hamwbone

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:25 AM

is it a chevy? what year/make/model?

#7 Lemon Crevice

Lemon Crevice

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:24 PM

I have a similar noise comming from one of my passenger wheels of my grand Cherokee im convinced its a bearing because a friend of mine had the same problem in his grand, but it hasn't gotten loud enough to be noticed over my radio. I also had a similar problem in my wrangler when the balancing weight on my rear driver side drum came off and would be loose in the wheel, but when i took off the wheel for the first time it came right off which im sure you would have noticed. Did you check under the drum and look at the shoes and springs and what not in there?

#8 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE(hamwbone @ Jul 13 2007, 10:01 PM) View Post

is it a chevy? what year/make/model?

no it's a 1994 Toyota extended cab/xtra long bed/v6

QUOTE(Lemon Crevice @ Jul 14 2007, 05:00 PM) View Post

I have a similar noise comming from one of my passenger wheels of my grand Cherokee im convinced its a bearing because a friend of mine had the same problem in his grand, but it hasn't gotten loud enough to be noticed over my radio. I also had a similar problem in my wrangler when the balancing weight on my rear driver side drum came off and would be loose in the wheel, but when i took off the wheel for the first time it came right off which im sure you would have noticed. Did you check under the drum and look at the shoes and springs and what not in there?

I honestly haven't had a chance to look at it, I had some stuff that came up over the weekend dry.gif

I'm a bit embarrassed to say but even when I get around to finding a jack I'm not quite sure where or how to even jack up the back end, it's got big stabilizer bars going from the axle all the way to the center of the frame under the cab since the frame goes up in the back it's a good 30+ inches from the ground.

you can see the (red) stabilizer bars in this pic: http://www.web-nine....kup/toyota2.jpg

even if I took the bar off one side it's till 24 inches or so from the ground to the frame.

The truck is so tall I can easily change the oil/grease the drive shaft/other stuff etc. without jacking and since I didn't have a jack I'd just take it to where I got the tires because they do free rotations (and use a 4 post lift).

Edited by twistedsymphony, 18 July 2007 - 01:39 PM.

#9 hamwbone

hamwbone

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:49 PM

you don't wanna jack it up by the frame. chock the front end and put a jack under the rear axle at the left or right side coming from behind it. maybe under a shock mount or at the furthest end of the axle tube. when you get one tire off the ground ( it only needs to be off the ground an inch at the most), you can put an axle stand under there for safety if you want, firmly grip the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock, and try to move it vertically. if there is any movement vertically (kind of pushing and pulling, not up and down) you could assume a wheel bearing is bad (repeat for other side). If you want to check the drive line, again, make sure the front is chocked in front of the tires and in the rear of the front tires. get an axle stand under the left side, and then remove the jack and jack up the right side, and get an axle stand under there. once the rear end is firm on the stands put your transfer case in N to disengaged the rear drive shaft from the t-case and remove the parking brake if its applied. you should be able to spin the rear axle freely with your hands to track down the noise better. Ive had wheel bearings, pinion bearings and complete ring and pinion sets make grinding noises. so there are a lot of thing it could be.

You could also check the u joints while you are dirty. you should have a joint at the front of the drive shaft and at the end towards the pinion. don't have the truck jacked up, just lie directly under the drive shaft and grip it close to the u joint tight with both hands, see if you can move it forward and backwards and look/feel for movement in the joint. You could also listen while you have it "freewheeling" in the air on the jack stands like i said in the previous paragraph.

sorry for the length and if any of it seems a bit confusing. blink.gif

Like wise, if the place that does your rotations is nice at all they should check all that stuff while its in the air for you, it would be a lot easier.

Edited by hamwbone, 18 July 2007 - 08:01 PM.

#10 Rylinkus

Rylinkus

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:43 AM

Sounds like someone needs a bigger jack if their ride is too tall to lift with a conventional jack.....

#11 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 03:48 PM

Thanks for the tips... I never knew I could jack right from the axel smile.gif

I've checked the drive shaft once before... I actually grease it myself since my compressor came with a grease gun laugh.gif 14 lube fittings that bastard's got

it's actually a 2 part shaft in the rear so it's got a center U joint as well.

#12 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:57 PM

I borrowed a jack and got the rear wheel up jacking from under the shock mount on the axle.

The wheel is tight with absolutely ZERO play so the bearings are probably good. Spinning the wheel around I could reproduce the noise and confirm that it's coming from the back half of the drum.

this will be the 3rd issue I've had with the stupid drum brakes since I bought the truck. With that said I'm going to look into buying a disc brake kit... because I just loath drum brakes...

thanks for all your help guys smile.gif

#13 CJLee89

CJLee89

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:41 AM

make sure the emergency brake isnt to tight. there is an adjustment wheel on the back side of the drum in a little hole. a flat head screw driver will get the job done.

#14 Rylinkus

Rylinkus

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:59 AM

Drum brakes suck. If there's an option to get discs, Id do that. At least they make sense.

#15 CJLee89

CJLee89

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:13 AM

i knew i forgot something. lol.

good luck with the disc break conversion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users