#1 jtstamps

jtstamps

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:39 AM

I have had my 360 modded with the NME chip for about six months now -- worked great.

Recently I got the "Three Red Lights" error and performed the RBJtech method of replacing the X clamps.

The repair worked woderfully and I played it for about 2 weeks.

During that two weeks I left the case open while waiting for the Talismoon replacement fan that I ordered (yeah it took forever). I just got the fans today and popped them in. I put the case back together and turned it on. It appeared fine for a while, then LEDs #1 and #3 came on indicating overheating. I shut it off and investigated. I found that the fan cooling the CPU had been obstructed and was not spinning. I fixed it and turned it back on.

It did not overheat again, but now the problem is the DVD tray will not open at all. I can open it manually, but it will not open or close on its own power or read a disc.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated

Edited by jtstamps, 14 July 2007 - 04:42 AM.

#2 jtstamps

jtstamps

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:19 PM

I did a little more investigating. Here are some more symptoms:

Upon startup the green light is flashing as if the eject button was pressed and the tray is trying to open, but the button has not been pressed.

On the dashboard, when the button is pressed it says "opening" and "closing" but, of course, nothing is opening or closing.

I am beginning to think there may be a problem with the mobo because it does the exact same thing if I disconnect the DVD drive and repeat the same procedures. Plus, this whole problem began when the CPU overheated.

Loads of thanks for any help!!

#3 qweewqaz

qweewqaz

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:xbox, world domination
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:27 PM

just a guess but shouldent this go into hardware forums and not general tongue.gif Your drives probably messed up from maunaly opening it try un and reinstalling your drive and make sure all the cords are pluged in on it and i hope your not powering anything from it... i dont think an over heating had anything to do with it

Edited by qweewqaz, 14 July 2007 - 06:32 PM.

#4 jtstamps

jtstamps

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:07 AM

qweewqaz - thanks for your help. I tried your suggestions and it still does not work. By "manually opening" I dont mean that I just pulled it open with brute force, I pressed the button designed to do just that. There is nothing being powered from the drive. It just seemed too coincidental that the overheating happened and then I had a new problem. I dont believe much in coincidence.

By "uninstall and reinstall the drive", I assume you mean physically. I don't know of any software manipulation. If there is such, could you point me in the right direction? I am aware of the drive being "paired" with the motherboard. Could this have something to do with it?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, but I didn't see anything similar in "hardware". I dont spent much time in the forums.

I know its rather taboo to sign up to a forum just to ask for help, and I apologize for that also. But, I had nowhere else to turn. I'm relying on my fellow 360 modders for suggestions because I cant exactly call Microsoft with this one. Can I get this post moved, or should I repost in "hardware"?

#5 jtstamps

jtstamps

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:08 PM

I'll try reposting in "hardware".

#6 ansaiyang

ansaiyang

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:32 AM

Man! I just did the talismoon fan today and the drive wont open as well. It is exactly like yours. I dont know what to do....

#7 Code-anima

Code-anima

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:19 AM

I have the same problem, I don't even have a modded X-box! It over heated and the disc tray stopped working!

#8 Martinchris23

Martinchris23

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:40 AM

If the dashboard is still responding to the eject button (opening/closing etc), then my money's on the MCIC has blown on the drive. This is quite common on the hitachi drives at least. The only way to resolve this(as I don't know anywhere which sell the component individually) is to buy another drive.

#9 Code-anima

Code-anima

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 05:25 AM

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Oct 29 2008, 12:16 PM) View Post

If the dashboard is still responding to the eject button (opening/closing etc), then my money's on the MCIC has blown on the drive. This is quite common on the hitachi drives at least. The only way to resolve this(as I don't know anywhere which sell the component individually) is to buy another drive.

FINALLY, SOMEONE WITH AN ANSWER! Thank you, now I know a new drive will help, I was putting off buying a new one. The MCIC isn't on the circuit board, is it? Because I don't want to flash the new drive, I just want to replace the hardware. You know, take the circuit board in the disc drive and put it into the new one.

#10 beterthnyu

beterthnyu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:47 AM

on two of mine that i opened i had this same thing happen.

One had a bent pin on the poer socket on the dvd drive, straightened it out and it worked fine again.

The second one looked like the poer cable was plugged in correctly to the dvd drive, but it was actually just a little slanted looking, it wasnt pushed all the way in, one side was just barely not connected. I pushed it all the way in and it started working fine again.

Both of them did the "green power light flashing and the system dashboard saying the drive was opening".

Check the power cable on the drive end, make sure it is seated perfectly, this is the problem 99% of the time for this exact symptom.

#11 JackDurshit

JackDurshit

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:17 PM

You guys can buy just the PCB from VGC Repiars. They're in Cali with quick shipping, customer service, and support. If you guys have Hitachi's I recommend getting a Samsung for two reasons, they're considered unbrickable, and the laser itself is the same for both drives so if the replacement Samsung's laser goes you can swap in your Hitachi laser. http://www.vgcrepair...products_id=159 The full drive is only about $10 more than just the PCB so go for that. If you e-mail Ed your current FW Key he can modify the drive for you for no extra charge and if done that way the replacement drive comes with a 6 month warranty. Good Luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users