• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 skout

skout

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:11 AM

Being the idiot i am and not having a surge protector for my wireless network adapter, from a recent storm, my Xbox 360 has been fried and is not recognizing cables and connections anymore.

Is it possible to get the internet through a USB to Ethernet type of thing? Is there anything that does that? Like a USB hub with a bunch of Ethernet ports?

ANY advice on how i might go about ailing this problem is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

#2 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,778 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 July 2007 - 03:40 AM

The only USB adapter that will work is the expensive arse M$ one.

Which NIC IC is in your 360, the ICS (rectangle) one or the BCM (tiny square) one? It's right there behind the ethernet plug there on the top of the board. There's really no protection between the jack and it, other than the filters in the jack itself, so it could be that the IC is shot, the jack, or even that part of the Southbridge that deals with it.

Are you sure you're connecting it up to a net source that works and with a good cable? Have to eliminate the "is there gas in it" kinda problems first, since they often get overlooked. wink.gif

#3 skout

skout

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 03:59 AM

I honestly don't understand what you mean, but if it helps, the power surge also broke my wireless bridge.. i guess i'm forced to get the MS thing... thanks though

#4 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,778 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:13 AM

Well, you did mention wanting ANY advice on how to go fixing it. One has to figure ya have some bit of "handiness" after asking something like that, but it sounds more like it broke, ya have no clue what does what, and want to know how to fix it. If that's the case then yes, you'll have to cough up for the Wireless USB adapter.

I'd personally wire up the status LEDs for the LAN and see what they show, if anything, then try replacing the NIC IC, but those are a good bit beyond what ya may be capable of. Tearing the 360 apart and soldering is involved, and in the case of the NIC IC, depending on which one it is, really hard soldering is involved.

#5 pcguy760

pcguy760

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:08 PM

You could have someone who has a SMT or surface mount soldering station (and good soldering experience) do it for you IF you can get the chip that is blown OTHERWISE I would say you are better off just buying and broken 360 with a good mobo (with dvd rom key?) or just the board alone and do it that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users