LIVE Prophet

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:19 AM

Ok, so I have the XCM Add-On Fan, and in this form it is far too loud for my liking, and I also dont need a big boost in airflow (b/c my 360 has no overheating problems as far as I know).

So, my question is, would it be possible for me to solder a low resistor to the + wire coming from the XCM fan so that the voltage is lowered to around 9v going to the fan resulting in the fan spinning a little slower thereby reducing the noise?

Remember, I am NOT lowering the voltage going to the DVD drive (which is where the fan is routed from), I would only be lowering how much is actually going to the fan. 12V is still going to the DVD Drive, and to the fan, except when it hits the resistor on the + of the fan, it will result in only 9V actually hitting the fan.

#2 malmeid2

malmeid2

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:26 AM

QUOTE(LIVE Prophet @ Jul 14 2007, 11:55 PM) View Post

Ok, so I have the XCM Add-On Fan, and in this form it is far too loud for my liking, and I also dont need a big boost in airflow (b/c my 360 has no overheating problems as far as I know).

So, my question is, would it be possible for me to solder a low resistor to the + wire coming from the XCM fan so that the voltage is lowered to around 9v going to the fan resulting in the fan spinning a little slower thereby reducing the noise?

Remember, I am NOT lowering the voltage going to the DVD drive (which is where the fan is routed from), I would only be lowering how much is actually going to the fan. 12V is still going to the DVD Drive, and to the fan, except when it hits the resistor on the + of the fan, it will result in only 9V actually hitting the fan.

sounds fine but you also might want to solder to a 12v source on the mobo rather than tapping into the dvd drive. I've heard some problems lately regarding the dvd drive as a power source for fans, etc.

#3 LIVE Prophet

LIVE Prophet

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:35 AM

Yes well the fan is originally made to be connected to the DVD Drive (it comes with a power splitter in which you plug the DVD power cable into the splitter, the other end back into the Drive, and then the fan plugs into a 2 pin slot on the splitter)

#4 brandogg

brandogg

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 15 July 2007 - 05:26 AM

The fan was designed to be installed that way - but it's a way to do so. Just about everyone here would recommend using a different power source.

#5 XxIRON GHOSTxX

XxIRON GHOSTxX

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:00 AM

earlier today I added some lights that required soldering to a 12 v source it was the first time i've ever soldered anything in my life but it was surprisingly easy and the lights work great. So don't be scared of spending the 10 bucks at your local radioshack on a soldering iron in order to save your DVD drive.

#6 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,789 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:37 AM

That's not the proper way of going about lowering the voltage to the fan. You either need to use a Regulator or do the correct thing and wire it up to another power source. You can get 5v, 7v or 12v from the 360 easily enough and only have to solder 1 wire in the case of 5v or 12v, takes 2 wires to get the 7v.

#7 LIVE Prophet

LIVE Prophet

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:19 PM

Ok thanks guys.

Yea i already have everything i need tho (soldering iron, etc.) I been doing this kinda work for a couple years now, I was just wondering about this fan...I never even thought to just solder to another power source lol.

Is there a board schematic for the Xbox 360 available anywhere? One that would point out all the 5v, 7v, and 12v points, ground points, etc..?

I dont need it really tho, as it is pretty easy to just test all the points on the mobo myself.

#8 mlapaglia

mlapaglia

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:33 PM

there are pin outs of power supplies in the stickies at the top of the main hardware forum page

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users