179 replies to this topic

#166 luiz12

luiz12

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:11 PM

Can anyone do something like this to the slim. It would be greatly appreciated.

#167 znomon

znomon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:49 AM

IPB Image

These touched.... How fucked am I? is it just a resistor? or the whole motherboard?

#168 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:31 PM

@ luiz12 - If I ever get a hold of a Slim I will.

@ znomon - It's a FET, and it's more than likely shot now after doing that, which would keep the 360 form powering up. It will need to be checked, then replaced if it's bad, and possibly the driver for it as well. No way to tell 100% if that would be all without more troubleshooting done first.

Edited by RDC, 05 September 2011 - 02:36 PM.

#169 pg0d1n

pg0d1n

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE(luiz12 @ Aug 11 2011, 12:11 PM) View Post

Can anyone do something like this to the slim. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to Wilhelm_I at XE

http://xbox-experts....-xbox-360-slim/
http://xbox-experts....sources_top.jpg

Edited by pg0d1n, 05 September 2011 - 03:09 PM.

#170 znomon

znomon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:16 PM

@rdc the box as soon as i press the power button, nothing turns on, (no fans, processor, gpu... nothing) and then it shows 3 light hardware error.

would it be worth fixing? (how hard would it be to remove that? and then replace it?)

or do you think its a lost cause?

Edited by znomon, 05 September 2011 - 05:23 PM.

#171 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:55 PM

Secondary error code?

Does the PSU LED turn red also?

If the thing worked fine before the mishap, and the FET is all that's bad, then it's worth fixing. Removing that part takes a good deal of heat, same with installing the new one, so you'd need a decent sized iron. It's not the kind of part you'd want to try and replace if you've never soldered before.

I'd have to check it out before I could say if it should be binned or not, no idea if the FET is even bad at this point.

#172 pg0d1n

pg0d1n

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:34 AM

As pointed out by RDC, the Power Pinout I gave links to a few post above, does not specify which are dc power point. Some of those power points may be data related causing some bad things to happen.

I'd wait till RDC gets a slim on hand and he will provide us with good info.

Sorry about getting your hopes up. cool.gif

#173 znomon

znomon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:02 AM

It ran perfectly before that, i plug it in, press power button immediately shows 3 rings, the PSU is fine, i tested it on another xbox. and the box outputs no video at all, which means no error code.

yeah... i might want to test soddering some other things before i get to that, and how would i replace it? like where can you even buy that part? find a junk box on ebay?

Edited by znomon, 06 September 2011 - 03:44 AM.

#174 pg0d1n

pg0d1n

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:46 AM

QUOTE(znomon @ Sep 5 2011, 10:02 PM) View Post

It ran perfectly before that, i plug it in, press power button immediately shows 3 rings, the PSU is fine, i tested it on another xbox. and the box outputs no video at all, which means no error code.

yeah... i might want to test soddering some other things before i get to that, and how would i replace it? like where can you even buy that part? find a junk box on ebay?

I could send you one in the mail. To remove it, some people say they have been able with a soldering Iron, but I've alwaus use a BGA Hot Air station.

#175 znomon

znomon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:09 AM

Thats very nice of you =)

I dont have a hot air station, and 100 dollars seems a bit much since i wont be using it all that much, i might just try with my iron. is there a correct (or incorrect) way to remove it?

#176 DTA HONDA

DTA HONDA

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Moto
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:15 AM

Thanks for this, i have a console that wont power on and i need to check it out with a multi meter

#177 znomon

znomon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:04 PM

I dont want this thread to die =P is there a correct (or incorrect) way to remove the piece?

#178 gummyworm31

gummyworm31

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:29 AM

Removal is pretty difficult - I haven't worked on 360's for a while, but I do remember failing at taking a fet off.
The Iron i used was probably 20 watts? I'd wager a 40 watt iron is hot enough to do it (that's what I use on other consoles i work on)

As far as the actual removal goes, the fet has 3 contacts - do them however you want, but make sure you DON'T attempt to pry it off of the motherboard.
The area marked in red will be the most difficult. It acts as a "heatsink" - you'll need to be patient with it >.<

refer to THIS if you have further questions.

**I haven't done it personally, but it's possible to test without removing the fet entirely too. I assume you'd desolder/cut the legs of the dead one, then solder the new fet in (not attaching the heatsink pad) - Anyway, best of luck with this! Hopefully you're not wasting a lot of time/effort on a dead box tongue.gif

IPB Image

Edited by gummyworm31, 10 February 2012 - 06:42 AM.

#179 Bandit5317

Bandit5317

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

I just wanted to let you know that the images aren't viewable right now because they've gone over the bandwidth cap for that site. I would suggest moving to a site that doesn't have bandwidth caps, like imgur.

#180 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

They're from my album, so I'm aware of it, and they will be back up in 6 days. As far as moving things goes, that's not going to happen unless I get the urge to fix thousands of links across multiple forums.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users