RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:06 AM

@ meathse - Yeah you can use those spots for the fans, that'll be fine. Only difference between them and the 12v from under the power connector is it goes thru L9B1 there, but it's still 12v and is fine to use for what ya wanna do.

If you've already done the X-clamp mod and it's still freezing up on ya, it may be time to try having it reflowed, unless you've take the towel or heat gun to it already, makes it more difficult to reflow properly. Keeping it cooler may slow down the freezing, but before long I'd wager it's gonna show up again and before long 3RLOD on ya.

#32 meathse

meathse

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:54 PM

ok, thanks for the reply. well you were right on the 3rlod, thought i try in on more time before taking it apart and it went strait to the 3rlod mad.gif . as for having it reflowed , i have no clue were to go to have that done. also i've never have done the towel or heat gun trick to it.

#33 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:39 PM

The forum members superbee (Canada based) and bojngles (US based) are the only two I know of on here that offer the services with proper reflow setups for that kind of work. It's possible there may be someone more local to ya, but you'd have to go hunting for them. You'd need to find a place that does BGA Rework and has the ability to reflow the GPU/CPU on the 360, and they would most likely have to see the board unless they were familiar with it to start with. Since you haven't messed with any 'tricks' to get it going again there's a better chance a reflow will take and be a longer solution as well as having the X-clamp mod done to it afterwards.

#34 der51106

der51106

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 05:47 AM

thank you rdc i just put my 12v fan under my psu plug, works nicely. just wish i had a little extra wire on it, made the plug a little short.

#35 DMageXBE

DMageXBE

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:04 PM

I've got a fan from a dead PS2 that just seems to fit too perfectly for a front case mounted fan. Only problem is that it requires 7V to run. I know that it will run off 5V, but I want it to run at full speed. What resistor would I need to use the 12V? and If I run off the 12V, I would like to use the one from the power connector, is this one switched?

#36 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:09 PM

You can get it to run at 7v by connecting it to a 12v and 5v source. Connect the + wire of the fan to a 12v spot, then connect the - wire of the fan to a 5v spot, the difference is 7v and is the voltage the fan will receive, no Resistor or Regulator needed, isn't that nifty?

#37 DMageXBE

DMageXBE

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:40 PM

Heeey... that IS kinda cool. I didnt know you could do that.
Are you sure no resistor? I can just use both points from under the connector?

#38 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 12:59 AM

Yup, no Resistor or anything needed 12v for + and 5v for - and ya get 7v, all there is to it. Don't use the 5v from under the PSU plug, that's the standby 5v, use one of the other switched 5v spots for it.

#39 DMageXBE

DMageXBE

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:37 AM

Gotcha! will do. Thanx for the help. wink.gif

#40 kawirider71

kawirider71

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:45 PM

think I'm going to use 12v spots on your 2nd pic for my fan. I don't want to unscrew motherboard I want to just solder it straight to the top. any reason to not do this or any tips?

#41 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE(kawirider71 @ Oct 2 2007, 12:21 PM) View Post

think I'm going to use 12v spots on your 2nd pic for my fan. I don't want to unscrew motherboard I want to just solder it straight to the top. any reason to not do this or any tips?

No reason at all, those spots are fine to use for them. If you're talking about the stock fans, you can leave the Black and Blue wires of the fans where they are in the connector, since those are already ground, then just run the Brown and Red wires (+ side of the fans) over to whatever 12v spot ya wanna use. It doesn't have to be 1 spot for each fan either, both can go to the same one so ya really only need to run 1 wire from the 12v spot to the stock fans + wires.

#42 kawirider71

kawirider71

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:57 PM

No its a little 1.5 inch radioshack fan im mounting (going to mount tomorrow) against cpu heatsink. anyways my question is what size/ type of solder is good for these smaller applications.

#43 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:21 PM

Just about any 60/40 Rosin core solder will do ya, and the diameter of it is a personal preference for the most part, but depends on what you're working on as well. Something like .030in (.77mm) is fine for most things that you'll do in the 360 as well as any circuit boards.

#44 A7X MadDog A7X

A7X MadDog A7X

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Modding 360's and building computers
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:23 PM

blink.gif

#45 kawirider71

kawirider71

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:03 AM

k thanks man. we do soldering in my ee100 lab but when i went to radioshack they had like 50 different sizes and types and im not expert on solder choice so. thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users