15 replies to this topic

#1 speedypancake

speedypancake

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:32 AM

I have the advanced AV component lead going to the projector and want to have the option of running the same lead into our non HD UK PAL TV via scart. Has anyone built a component to scart cable or adapter / switch for their XBOX & how difficult would it be?

Cheers

#2 spillage

spillage

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:38 AM

What you're asking is not just a lead mod. Component (YUV or Y/YPb/YPr) is not the same as RGB is any way. YUV is a lesser system to straight RGB but is used so widely because it is the native way to author DVD's. A high res' image can be sent over a less bandwidth intensive connection. RGB on the other hand is at best full bandwidth no loss. RGB scart is made up of RGB and Sync data on the Compiste input. Correctly called RGBCs. To make use of a YUV output on a SCART TV you must transcode the video into RGBCs that cannot be done with a lead nor can it be done using a VGA bios as the VGA/RGB bios o/p correctly @ 31k i.e. progressive. If you have one of the super rare TV like METZ that can support RGBCs @ 31KHz you're laughing. Normally the xbox o/p RGBCs @ 50Hz/15KHz for the EU and YUV @ 60Hz/15KHz for the US when using the top lead for the area you live in. It makes much more sense you buy a real EU lead for SCART than convert YUV to RGBCs with a bought transcoder.

#3 speedypancake

speedypancake

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 05:25 PM

Thank you Spillage for a very thorough description of the problems smile.gif

It's just such a pain crawling about behind the TV & XBox to swap leads over for the projector & TV..

No way round it at all - other than 2 Xboxes then blink.gif

Edited by speedypancake, 19 July 2007 - 05:33 PM.

#4 spillage

spillage

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 05:48 PM

what exactly are you trying to achieve?

#5 speedypancake

speedypancake

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE(spillage @ Jul 19 2007, 06:24 PM) View Post

what exactly are you trying to achieve?

One lead in the back of the Xbox, with a switch to switch between RGB scart (TV) & Hi-def component (projector)...

Ye canna change the laws of physics captain blink.gif

PS - Sandra Bullock love.gif

Edited by speedypancake, 19 July 2007 - 06:37 PM.

#6 FrostyTheSnowman

FrostyTheSnowman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:23 PM

You could always buy 2 leads and just have one for each, and leave them connected... you could even get 2 power cords if you wanted to, and then all you would have to move is the machine itself... happy.gif

#7 speedypancake

speedypancake

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE(FrostyTheSnowman @ Jul 19 2007, 08:59 PM) View Post

You could always buy 2 leads and just have one for each, and leave them connected... you could even get 2 power cords if you wanted to, and then all you would have to move is the machine itself... happy.gif

jester.gif

Come on guys. With the brain power available around here, there must be a more complicated way of achieving this biggrin.gif

#8 spillage

spillage

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:51 AM

Ok I have thought of a way you can have Component and RGBCs plugged in together, used one at a time of course. You up for a simple build project? Soldering?

Edited by spillage, 21 July 2007 - 09:52 AM.

#9 speedypancake

speedypancake

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE(spillage @ Jul 21 2007, 10:27 AM) View Post

Ok I have thought of a way you can have Component and RGBCs plugged in together, used one at a time of course. You up for a simple build project? Soldering?

Yeah yeah yeah!! Used to work in electronics as a job / hobby in a previous life - so have basic electronic component / schematic knowledge & soldering iron at the ready. Also just about every cable ever made for the XBOX and one already stripped - so bring it on Spillage ph34r.gif

#10 killergorilla

killergorilla

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:51 PM

Not sure if this is any help...

http://www.consolepl...undle-inc-cable

It's a component connector, but it also has a passthrough so that you can use a standard RGB/S-Video lead with the optical audio.

I can't imagine it would take that much effort to add a switch to it to tell the xbox that the passthrough is enabled/disabled?

If it's no help then just ignore me smile.gif

#11 speedypancake

speedypancake

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE(killergorilla @ Jul 23 2007, 03:27 PM) View Post

If it's no help then just ignore me smile.gif

Thanks for trying to help Killer smile.gif

I can see that cable mentions a lead pack to connect on to SCART, but reading between the lines, I believe it's just a bunch of phono connectors to connect up to one of those dodgy SCART connectors with composite video & stereo audio (so not true RGB). Be great if someone told me otherwise though...

So, looks like it's back to Spillage & his intriguing "project".... ph34r.gif

#12 killergorilla

killergorilla

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:00 PM

You can't see it in the picture but there is another "port" on the end of the block that you plug an RGB scart in to. (It goes in the "top right" of the picture).

It outputs an RGB signal, my brother has one at home. I'm not sure what happens when you plug both in at the same time but I presume the passthrough overrides the component.

#13 speedypancake

speedypancake

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE(killergorilla @ Jul 23 2007, 04:36 PM) View Post

You can't see it in the picture but there is another "port" on the end of the block that you plug an RGB scart in to. (It goes in the "top right" of the picture).

It outputs an RGB signal, my brother has one at home. I'm not sure what happens when you plug both in at the same time but I presume the passthrough overrides the component.

H'mmm... dry.gif that sounds promising. Certainly worth a quick email to find out the score... I'll post back when I find out.

Still want to hear what Spillage had planned though blink.gif

#14 spillage

spillage

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:12 PM

Here we go this should be a fully working project that will give you what you want.

Try it and let me know.

#15 speedypancake

speedypancake

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:20 AM

QUOTE(spillage @ Jul 23 2007, 11:48 PM) View Post

Try it and let me know.

Spillage - you are too cool biggrin.gif
Can't wait to try it.