PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:30 AM

InFamous Q&A: Only using 30pct of PS3 Power
Posted by XanTium | 19-7-2007 23:30 EST

From a gamespot.com interview:

We are currently using about 30 percent of the SPUs' capabilities--with the SPUs doing lots of heavy lifting for us on rendering, visibility, particle systems, skinning, animation blending, and so on...this with scores of pedestrians, cars, fires, etc., all going on. And the best part? We've not made any significant attempts to even optimize the SPU code. I think it's reasonable to guess we could put 10 times as much stuff on the SPUs and still make our frame budgets. It's really pretty amazing.

Full Story: gamespot.com (via n4g.com)

#2 yourM0M

yourM0M

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:18 AM

i think there is a missing word in the article.....only "CAN" use 30pct lol

i kid, i kid

#3 Ninja Sniper X

Ninja Sniper X

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:33 AM

So if they CAN make everything so much better then why don't they? Maybe they'd sell a few more PS3's that are just sitting on the shelf...

And the best part? We've not made any significant attempts to even optimize the SPU code.

Now if I owned a PS3 that statement would piss me off. Paying $600 for a piece of crap that they havn't even "made any significant attempts" to use fully. Sounds like bullshit.

Edited by Ninja Sniper X, 20 July 2007 - 06:39 AM.

#4 d-range

d-range

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:04 AM

Very nice, now *go out and do it!*

#5 NineT9mustang

NineT9mustang

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:38 AM

tru.dat d-rage!

#6 ConteZero76

ConteZero76

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:28 AM

Oh buzz off XBox360 clueless fanboys...
The game isn't out yet and they are still working on it...
I could say "mind your own console" (since you're more about "mine is better than yours" than anything else).

#7 incognegro

incognegro

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:11 PM

well lets just hope it doesn't look as crappy as lair when it comes out (yea I said it...)

#8 bomonster

bomonster

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:PS3 Owner

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE(Ninja Sniper X @ Jul 20 2007, 02:09 AM) View Post

So if they CAN make everything so much better then why don't they? Maybe they'd sell a few more PS3's that are just sitting on the shelf...
Now if I owned a PS3 that statement would piss me off. Paying $600 for a piece of crap that they havn't even "made any significant attempts" to use fully. Sounds like bullshit.

Well, Mr Ninja with a gun (??), the last time I checked there weren't too many PS3's on the shelves. The Sony doomsday scenarios are getting old and are a thing of the past. M$ fanboys are going to have to get used to the fact that the tables are only going to get more even. The one year headstart was nice for the neon green rrod'ers but Sony has started to get their act together.

And getting back to your post, that quote was from a game developer, not Sony. Even if the quote did piss me off, it has nothing to do with Sony, only the developer. As for the "$600 piece of crap", it's $500 and it's a piece of art and engineering. You want to talk about crap we can talk about 30% failure rates. The PS3 is probably the best piece of electronics I have bought in a very long time, and it gets better with every update.

Bottom line, you wanna troll, do it on the green troll side. Don't bully others because your daddy(M$) abused you(rrod).

-bo-

#9 leonf

leonf

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:34 PM

@bomonster beerchug.gif

#10 toytown

toytown

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 02:34 PM

Whilst the SPU might only be using 30% of its power (if thats to even be believed), the GPU isnt. So whilst you could expect better physics/ai etc, this doesnt meant your going to get better visuals.

#11 SwordOfDoom

SwordOfDoom

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE(Ninja Sniper X @ Jul 20 2007, 02:09 AM) View Post

He may have meant that they aren't in the optimization phase yet. The latter part of the development cycle is when the bulk of optimization occurs. That's how I took it.

#12 KaRiL

KaRiL

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE(incognegro @ Jul 20 2007, 05:47 AM) View Post

well lets just hope it doesn't look as crappy as lair when it comes out (yea I said it...)

What, Lair is out already?..... wink.gif

#13 NineT9mustang

NineT9mustang

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:28 PM

Well said bomonster! Couldn't agree more smile.gif

#14 Mojiba

Mojiba

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE(bomonster @ Jul 20 2007, 01:57 PM) View Post

And getting back to your post, that quote was from a game developer, not Sony. Even if the quote did piss me off, it has nothing to do with Sony, only the developer. As for the "$600 piece of crap", it's $500 and it's a piece of art and engineering. You want to talk about crap we can talk about 30% failure rates. The PS3 is probably the best piece of electronics I have bought in a very long time, and it gets better with every update.
-bo-

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

I'm sorry, I never did this before, but that was such a funny quote, you know, the ones in bold... you was being sarcastic right? Right? =)

#15 thax

thax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:31 PM

It remains to be seen if it is worth investing the additional time to get the extra performance out of the unit. With the PS2 it was worth the extra time because of the size of the install base and the level of competition. This generation is different and this alters the priorities of the developers.

Given 2 years to develop a game with a small development team and a limited budget you would probably get a better looking end product with x360 versus a PS3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users