#1 total_ass

total_ass

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:14 PM

im going to buy an lcd monitor to replace my 10 year old 21 inch crt (doesnt even properly support pal 60hz), and because monitors are way cheaper than tv's it makes sense to buy one instead of a tv.

it will be pretty much only for 360 so i thought i would ask about it here.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't know much about specs of screens so can someone tell me if its good? i'm going to university in like 2 months so im working on a very very tight budget. i used to have a tft for my pc that was 15 inch but the picture was crap and my friend says that was because of something called dithering? i cant tell if this monitor supports hdcp which i have also read is like a future HD. what else should i be watching out for with this?

also i have ordered the vga lead for xbox 360 i'm guessing that i need a DVI adapter yeah.

if you can only answer one thing then could you tell me whether this will look good and equivalent to an HDTV with the xbox outputting at the highest resolution (1080p?) with the exception of HDMI as i don't have an elite. however as much info and help on this as possible is also welcome and i would really appreciate it smile.gif

Edited by total_ass, 20 July 2007 - 11:16 PM.

#2 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:57 PM

You'll want a monitor with a low responce time (<16ms at max <8ms preferred)

As high a contrast ratio as possible (at least >1:500)

and a Native resolution that matches one of the output resolutions that the 360 supports:
1280x720 <-best option
1920x1080 <-2nd best options
1280x768
1360x768 (not to be confused with 1366x768)

Other resolutions will work but they wont look as good.

Other things
-at least 2 Video inputs and at least VGA and DVI/HDMI support
-Viewing angle at least 170deg both vertically and horizontally
-at least 220cd/m2 or higher brightness

The monitor you posted doesn't really meet all of those requirements. there's no contrast ratio listed at all (which means it's probably BAD) and the native resolution doesn't mesh with any of the 360's output resolutions (which means you could get some ugly scaling effects)

If you were using this multipurpose with a PC I might say the resolution was acceptable because you'd have to do some trade offs but where it's 360 specific (or at least primarily) there's no reason to compromise.

#3 total_ass

total_ass

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:52 PM

Thanks for the reply but i ordered it a couple days ago.

The contrast is infact 1:1000. This is actually in a not so obvius place on the eBay page and i confirmed it on another site which i ordered off.

The only other small gripe i can see is the vertical viewing angle being 160 degrees but i think i can sort that as i will be tilting it forward from a high position anyway.

As for the resolution well i guess i will just have to wait and see. I have also thought about using it as a pc monitor as well recently so it may be worth the compromise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users